JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Love my Sub2k, but as most know it needs many mods to make it a reliable firearm. Just finished about 10mods... installing new M*Carbo parts, nothing crazy. But it's the first time I've really modified a firearm before. New trigger spring kit, trigger, trigger bar & guard, etc, new hammer bushing, feed ramp, ext mag release, stuff like that.

I can take it to my range and fire away (excited to do that) but wanted to safely test it first. How do you all do this? It racks fine, resets after trigger pull, all the basic stuff. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

The mods you've described don't make guns blow up. Unless you've modified the chamber, you should be fine.

Edited to include:
Installing off-the-shelf replacement parts is generally very safe. If you were taking a Dremel to pressure-bearing components, that is a different story. Go to the range and have fun! If you're really worried about it wear eye pro (you should anyway) and fire slowly to get a feel for how the gun works with the new parts.

Last Edited:
Bolt, chamber, barrel, and muzzle are things to pay close attention to as they are directly involved with pressure and bullet travel. If you reload well that is a separate area of concern

Guns blow up from too much pressure for the chamber and barrel obstructions
You can trigger both problems by firing the wrong ammunition in a gun.

As previously stated your described mods don't affect the bolt, chamber, barrel, or muzzle so you should be ok.
A dry fire accessory aka Snap Cap, can be helpful in testing magazine feeding, chambering, dry firing etc.

1657385570400.png

1657385282515.png

What_could_go_wrong.jpg

1657385500066.png

Aloha, Mark

I'm fairly certain the S2K doesn't need anything done to it to be reliable. I've owned two and left them alone and they ran perfectly fine. If anything adding crap to guns can make them less reliable. The stuff you listed won't make it blow up. You should be good to go.

After trigger work I do have a checklist.
Apply the safety, try pulling the trigger[ just a snug pull, not trying to bend the trigger]. it should not drop the hammer[ or striker].
listen as you let off the safety to be sure the hammer does not drop.
Bump the stock against a padded surface [ like a carpeted step] again the sear should not let go. we are not talking about dropping the gun just a good bump.
When I get to the range, with a semi auto I load 1 round in the mag and shoot that, next mag I'll load two [if it goes wild its only two rounds].

After that load it and enjoy. DR

when i first starter assembling my own ARs and doing some garage gun smithing in general, id get a little uncomfortable for that first magazine... hold it waaaay out and carefully put a mag thru before bringing it back in for some actual shooting. after a while my fears subsided... i learned and become more comfortable with things like headspacing and eventually got to a point i knew when something ought to be given distance for test firing... which is pretty much never anything, so long as i am confident in my work. nothing you describe seems like anything thats going to cause a kaboom or send action into your face.. shoot it! and have video rolling when you do.

Apply the safety, try pulling the trigger[ just a snug pull, not trying to bend the trigger]. it should not drop the hammer[ or striker].
Bump the stock against a padded surface [ like a carpeted step] again the sear should not let go. we are not talking about dropping the gun just a good bump.
When I get to the range, with a semi auto I load 1 round in the mag and shoot that, next mag I'll load two [if it goes wild its only two rounds].

This right here.

If you've done trigger work, then make sure the safety still functions as designed, sharp drops like the aforementioned padded step test do not cause the hammer to drop…check that the disconnector still works properly.

Load up 1 round, then 2, then a few mags of 5 until you've got a good feel for it. Recently had a lot of trouble with an AR-9 that liked to have the hammer follow the bolt home, setting off the next round until the mag was empty or it light striked (struck?) a round.

If you worry about your guns blowing up after said mods, how were you about covid? :D

I don't do the "bump", I do a slam of the buttock on a surface, with the safety off, to emulate a drop from shoulder height.

If you worry about your guns blowing up after said mods, how were you about covid? :D

I don't do the "bump", I do a slam of the buttock on a surface, with the safety off, to emulate a drop from shoulder height.
I'm an unvaxxed gal who thinks COVID is not what the government and their media puppets want us to think it is. I hate the news. But I LOVE ME SOME GUNS!

but as most know it needs many mods to make it a reliable firearm.
Well, this is not entirely true.

Many firearms are very reliable unmodified and that goes for the S2K as well - and I know - I once owned one.

Quite frankly mine shot very well, accurately and with no problems mechanically however my only complaints were with the general construction and parts such as the sights and other items being made of plastic that were NOT going to survive the rigors of above average use, and were not parts that were available as 'upgrades' and unless I spent the time to fabricate replacements I had no other options.

Advice going forward and not limited to firearms - make one change at a time. That way if something goes wrong you know what happened and can correct it. Saves much time and frustration.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top