JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read a bunch of the threads here about how folks keep their kids safe by arming themselves to protect their family. I admire that and I appreciate it.

That said, how do you make sure that your kids (or other's children) don't accidently discharge the firearms you keep at home?

How do you balance your desire to have immediate access to the right gun with the uncanny abilities of a 11 year old boy to find or get into anything?

The reason I ask is that my oldest son is turning 6 and is now is of an age that he might actually figure out keys/locks/powder/spark.

My intention is that someday soon I teach him the real life consequences of playing with guns and how much respect they deserve, and I have no doubt this will augment my security... but I need some good ideas on how to have my cake and eat it too. Suggestions on how you have kept your young children out of your guns are very welcome. Putting everything in the safe seems like the only way right now... :(

Thanks in advance... especially those who have raised boys and know what I'm dealing with :)

Lock up all your firearms. Take the bolts out, and use trigger locks, then place the bolts and trigger lock keys in a safe deposit box down at the bank along with all ammunition. The only firearm that shouldnt be locked up is the one you might need to use to defend your family with. That one has to stay on your person at all times during the day, and when you go to bed at night, ensure your bedroom door is locked from the inside and the key is around your neck. Im not kidding. That is the only way I can figure to be sure that your child doesnt get his hands on it and accidently shoots himself or someone else.

No kidding, we seem to be a little over protective when dealing with our kids. Like you say, bike helmets and knee pads. I didn't make any of my kids wear knee pads, but helmets were a must, just because of experience and loss of a few brain cells myself when I was young. (Trees hurt!)

I grew up around guns and so did my brother but he never seemed to get the gun safety thing, even after hunter's safety course and all the lore from our dad and our uncles. He missed a shot one day when we were kids, I didn't notice because I was in the lead on the trail until I saw my dads face turn pale when we emerged out of the path, my brother had been dragging his rifle by the barrel all the way back, the hammer was back, and there was a bullet in the chamber.

I will never "protect" my children from firearms. After reading the posts to this thread I have come to the conclusion that somewhere along the line our balls fell off in this country. My daughter is not even two years old and she hands me cartridges one at a time as I load magazines, counting them out. Granted she can only count to three, but at she does it ten times for each magazine. She hands me patches when Im cleaning firearms, and when I ask here to hand me the bolt or slide she knows what Im talking about. Does that mean I leave a loaded firearm within reach? Of course not. In our house we know what guns are where, at all times. Do I have a way to secure our firearms, yes, but not from our child, from other peoples children. Its about safe firearms handling, personal responsibility, attentive parenting, and keeping track of both your firearms and your children. A physical or mechanical device is only to bring you peace of mind if you want to go about it the lazy way. That is my opinion, fire away at what a fool you think I am, but know this, its about choices. You make yours, I'll make mine, and having opposing views is fine. I just thought someone should pipe up with a different viewpoint.

Our country was founded with these principals. Teach 'em young so that when they are older they will not stray...

My way was to educate them young about safe firearm practices, my kids never had toy guns, they knew any gun they ever saw was real. They have also taken gun safety classes, and hunters education classes, as well as gun range training.

If you handed either one of my boys a gun the first thing he will do is safety check it, even if he just watched you check it, they also know how to safely load and unload every every gun I own

For my part of the equation the only loaded firearm I have is one I am carrying. All guns are locked in the safe, if they need to be out the ammo is locked in the safe. I also have snap caps for every gun I own.

Just my personal experience...

My best friend/neighbor and I were caught playing with his dad's police sidearm. I dont remember the gun, so we must have been pretty young but I do remember the room and a shoebox.

The second time I was a bit older (10-12?). My friend's father had several guns in rural Minnesota. They were all locked up in a display case, however, he knew where the key was hidden. When our parents would go out during the day, we'd break into the case and take the .22's out to the backyard to shoot stuff. I know for a fact we never took basic safety into consideration.

My knowledge of firearms was limited to what I'd seen on tv and my curiosity of them was great. I'm not sure how my friend's were raised but given my experiences, I'd think twice about leaving my own kids around loaded firearms, should I ever have them.

Great post, good info.

When I was growing up, there were guns everywhere, on the wall, standing in the corner and under the couch. My grandfather said, ifyou ever touch one of my guns I will beat your *** so bad you will never be able to sit down. Since I was regularly whipped with a hickory switch, that made a lasting impression. Second he gave me a 22 rifle at 5 and taught me to use it and the dangers of it. I never touched any of his guns w/o permission and in 50 years I have never had a acc. discharge.

Of course today, you have friends over who have moron parent, so it usually visitors that get in trouble. Get a quick open safe.

When I was growing up, there were guns everywhere, on the wall, standing in the corner and under the couch. My grandfather said, ifyou ever touch one of my guns I will beat your *** so bad you will never be able to sit down. Since I was regularly whipped with a hickory switch, that made a lasting impression. Second he gave me a 22 rifle at 5 and taught me to use it and the dangers of it. I never touched any of his guns w/o permission and in 50 years I have never had a acc. discharge.

Of course today, you have friends over who have moron parent, so it usually visitors that get in trouble. Get a quick open safe.

This is an awesome point! But it is the moron parents that would think what your grandfather did is child abuse. I don't think it is child abuse at all. It is knocking home into their little heads how important firearms safety is. Also, you and I and my children had and have RESPECT for their fathers and grandfathers.

I have a 5, 8, and 2-9 year olds. They can recite to me or anybody that:

*all gun are always loaded
*never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy or kill
*keep your finger off of the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.
*be sure of your target, what is behind and beyond.

Hunter Dad 66

You are so right on that point. People would have thought my grandfather a child abuser, but I know that not a day goes by that I dont think about him and miss him even though he has been dead 20 years. He taught me to shoot straight with a pump pellet gun by aiming and killing at snapping turtles in his pond.

I am from TN but now in Washington, I didnt realize the difference until a friend whipped his kid with a belt, he was jailed and they still do not have their 7 yr old son back. It is illegal in Washington to inflict corporal punishment with anything but your hand. My entire family immediate family is here in Washington, wife, 2 daughters, son in laws, grand children and the other day, my daughter said, can we go back to Tennessee? I truely miss the south where there is real freedom.

utvols,

I have lived in the south and appreciate a lot of things from down there. I prefer to live up here though. Something that you would never here in a WA high school that you'd here in a southern (GA,TX, AND FL) high school is "do you want 3 licks or do you want to write sentences". lol. Kids are so different now. They aren't allowed to keep score at Little League until a certain age for crying out loud! They are teaching that there is no first place and I think that is wrong.

Grandfathers and fathers have been teaching there sons and daughters for eons about guns. It is up to us, the ones that value traditions, to keep our children around guns and guide them to be responsible with them. I will never forget hunting elk with my grandfather as you have your great memories of yours.

Like some of the others I think the most important thing you can do if raise your kids to be respectful and cautious of guns. Make sure they know the dangers of even touching a weapon. And sometimes more important know your kids, are they the type to take it to school? Are they getting bullied? Know what their intentions might be if they know where is at.
Also just having a good relation with them is important. If they respect you and know how disappointed you would be in them if they were to get into it then chances are they won't get into it. I grew up around guns and was extremely respectful of them and my step-father. And even I went looking, found it, but never dared to touch it. Most of all cause I knew if he found out I would not be typing this today.
Can't go wrong locking it up. Get a dog they will bark to give you the extra few seconds to unlock-rack-and attack.

Good luck

Myself and my syblings, as well as my own children were taught about guns and their safe handling from a very early age. We were not allowed to even point a toy gun at anyone and had video games been around, I doubt we'd have been allowed to play the first person shooter games. We were taught to shoot safely and the first year I hunted, I wasn't allowed to have shells for my shotgun. That made a lasting impression on me about safety.

In my home, guns are not kept loaded with the obvious exception of the CCW. All others are in the safe but since my children are taught about the responsibility and safe handling of firearms, they have their own combination to the safe. How else would they get their range bag packed?

One might ask, "How to you prevent your children from stabbing one another with the kitchen knives or sharp pencils?" Hopefully you simply teach them not to.

there is no first place
Wow, this is just crazy isn't it? Yey! You won third!

No, they didn't.

Yeah there is a whole big deal being made about the kids when they do something idiotically simple like pick up a bottle of water off the shelf at a grocery store, everything gets praise and celebration.

I think we're well on the way to producing some of the most arrogant, self-important spoiled little brats to ever walk the face of the earth.

It's a real pity. Now how do we keep them from dousing themselves with gasoline? :)

Don't "hide" them, trust me, if they really want to, they'll get to them.

Teach em' and educate them. Put out their "curious" spirit.

Exactly that, When I was 8, i got a little Colt Woodsman .22 for my Bday, Still love that pistol. I knew where it was stored since I was little, but I also know that the wrath of god would be unleashed on me if I ever went near it(or other guns) without my father being around and his permission.

Learning with it, growing up with it and other firearms over the years has been the best "gun safe" if you will.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top