JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I run all over the house and make sure they are still in their hiding places. Then I run out to the garage safe, throw the door open and go 1-2-3-4...

Lots of great ideas in this thread. I'm going to steal a few of them :)

Currently I use a spreadsheet as do many others. Columns are:
Make, Model, SN, Cartridge, Type, Optic, Owner (Me or Mrs. 3M), Current Estimated Value, Needs, and Notes

I have pictures including serial numbers I'm going to embed in the spreadsheet for Mrs 3M's benefit so she can more easily tell them apart in the event I pass first. The spreadsheet is stored on my NAS as well as a few laptops and a printout is stored in a fire resistant pouch along with other important documents the gun safe which is also fire resistant.

I'll do some video next and store similar to the spreadsheet.

Just remember, anything created on a computer or phone can be accessed by those that don't have your best interest in mind. In other words, if they come to take your guns, it will make it easier for them if you have them on a spreadsheet. Even if you have them password protected, they can get to it, especially in the Cloud. If you delete the files, make sure that they are gone - learn how. Placing them on a thumb drive is best, with a paper back-up. I do agree that a spreadsheet with photos are the best way to go, but I am sure that a court order will allow them to confiscate your computer to look for said spreadsheet if they think that all of your guns are not accounted for.

My financial/investment guy has all of my records in one place and my trusted relatives and friends know to contact him in case my wife and I die. There are no State or Federal lists of 95% of the guns that I own and I want to keep it that way.

Another vote for Excel spreadsheet. Keep both ammo count, bayonets, and firearms on there for insurance purposes.

I've never kept up with ammo count. I dont know why guess I'm just lazy. I have a good estimate for my AR's and Glocks but honestly I've never saw a Glock shot out and I've seen older gen2 guns that have been very well taken care of that have thousands upon thousands of rds. through the barrel and they look the same as a new gen4 out of the box.

Anything chrome lined like AR's are very similar. I know people who have changed barrels out of Rem.700's because the group opened up but a good chrome lined AR barrel should be good for 10-20000 rds., who really shoots that much? (I realize some do but the common gun owner won't).

I know keeping rd. count is a good idea to replace parts before they break but I usually have spares and run something until it breaks or at least until you know its gonna break.

What's a good way to remember rd. count on a new gun? Do you just jot it down in a notebook every time you shoot or what? Maybe I should.

What's a good way to remember rd. count on a new gun? Do you just jot it down in a notebook every time you shoot or what? Maybe I should.

I know how much ammo I have in stock, and I track how much ammo I take to the range, for various drills or tests or plinking. Whatever ammo doesn't come back home with me gets added to the odometer.

For the store we have Software that keeps track of everything and we just have to scan in and out ;)

On a more serious note I wouldn't dare begin to inventory my personal firearms / gun stuff. It's been on my "Hope to do one day" list for years but i'd be afraid to attempt the project. At one point I had the idea to inventory ammo and decided it was easier / more fun to just shoot it instead.

All my receipts with SN's are kept in a Fire safe, that hasn't been organized in years

Last Edited:
Yep, like others have said, spreadsheet with make/model, SN, accessories, notes, rough fire sale value and sit on it value. I try and take good photos of them, but often it's just a quick snap of SNs and rollmarks. Quick and dirty—I'd like to refine it—but it gets the job done for now.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews