JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I've needed to dry brass I have a rack that fits in the dryer for drying athletic shoes. Brass in a pillow case, tied and laid flat on the rack. Run on "Cotton" and turn the cases a time or two.

1. Dont be a schmoe, never put your brass in the oven.
2. Rinse, drain, $5 hair dryer from St Vinnys. Put em on a towel, heat em up, let em cool, repeat three times and check for dryness.

Hmm, i already have/use a hairdryer for applying froglube/Seal1, that's not a bad idea, it won't take long to dry them on a towel with a dryer.

1. Dont be a schmoe, never put your brass in the oven.
2. Rinse, drain, $5 hair dryer from St Vinnys. Put em on a towel, heat em up, let em cool, repeat three times and check for dryness.
If there is a reason not to put brass in the oven besides an excuse for name calling, this "schmoe" is all ears.:rolleyes:

Too hot. I think there is something about this in the manuals. Lyman, Hornady, etc. Usually in the front in the "How to reload". I suppose I could ignore that but if you're going to ignore care of the containers ya might as well ignore the amounts too huh?

Too hot. I think there is something about this in the manuals. Lyman, Hornady, etc. Usually in the front in the "How to reload". I suppose I could ignore that but if you're going to ignore care of the containers ya might as well ignore the amounts too huh?
The ABC's of reloading 9th edition, page 28. Give it a read sparky. Be careful out there and read the warning label on your cup of coffee.

If it's cold enough to run the heat in your house then turning the oven on to dry your brass is more or less free. You're just using the oven to heat the house while you're drying your brass

Thank God the weather is changing and the outdoor thing is the easy answer. As far as the oven being "to hot" brass won't start to become damaged or "annealed" until around 600 degrees. I looked this stuff up and tried to find why not to use the oven in the manuals without any luck. I know "anneal" is a big word for ya but you can look it up in one of the reloading books, Lyman, Hornady etc. For those with common sense the oven isn't a scary place;)

I'm not sure why you would want to know but here you go

3860.jpg

If there is a reason not to put brass in the oven besides an excuse for name calling, this "schmoe" is all ears.:rolleyes:

Brass has a number of heavy metals in it's base material when complete it may contain Copper, aluminum, lead and zinc. Some are in small quantities good for you to a certain degree but to much of anything can be bad, as in this case the lead. It diminishes the learning abilities in our children among a dozen other ill affects.
Don't put lead of any kind in your oven it is just not healthy.
Silver Hand

Well, sitting on a towel in yesterdays 80deg worked pretty well, although it highlighted the fact i needed a proper magnet to get the media out, as well as some kind of media separator.

It was horribly clear that it was a very messy affair to empty and flush out the tumbler whilst trying to retain the stainless media at the same time :(

You must be using SS pins or ultra sonic water bath in order to have a need to dry your brass. In order to take full advantage de-prime everything before the bath.
After the shake down to remove pins my first drop is on to at least two towels, roll them around a bit then rap them up and shake the heck out of them. If the towels are wet place them on another dry towel and do the same. Place them in the sun with a light screen like cover so airborne debris does not accumulate. No sun, put them by the wood stove, furnace, the top of the water heater wile in a pan.
I do so many it is sometime a year before I find my way back to the batch I am cleaning last. So Keep ahead of your work cleaning what you may need down the road ahead of time. Then water is never an issue.
Silver Hand

Well, sitting on a towel in yesterdays 80deg worked pretty well, although it highlighted the fact i needed a proper magnet to get the media out, as well as some kind of media separator.

It was horribly clear that it was a very messy affair to empty and flush out the tumbler whilst trying to retain the stainless media at the same time :(

I do a lot of brass and shake every one back into the tumbler wile under water and dipping from the surface. I liken it to not having to clean primer pockets. That makes it all worth doing and I take a look inside the case through the primer hole once well shook. Pins can get stuck and one can ruin your day once fired.
Silver Hand

Easiest way I've found... go to the dollar store and find a cracker tin, dump out the crackers. Poke holes in the bottom of the tin, cut large hole at the top, while at dollar store, buy a cheap hair dryer.

This will easily dry however much brass fits in the tin in about 10 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top