Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do you dry your brass?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by F2CMaDMaXX, Apr 15, 2015.

1. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

For those who wet tumble, how do you dry your brass afterwards?

I'm looking for a cheap/efficient way to do it, so firing up the oven or using the clothes dryer are out due to thie ridiculous power usage.

2. ORYGUNHolsterCompany

ORYGUNHolsterCompany Hillsboro It doesn't work in the safe. Gold Supporter

I use an old dehydrator from salvy alvy, some people buy the "brass dryers" which are dehydrators with different labels, I am happy with the results, but others may have better ideas.

I stack about 3 or 4 levels high about 100- 150 casings per level (allow room for air to pass through) mine is old and was cheap I think $10-15 and runs off 110 power so much easier on the electric bill

SIG383 likes this.
  3. Papercidal

Papercidal Vancouver ,Wa Active Member

The same 20.00 harbor freight food dryer that one of the stainless steel media sellers sells as a brass dryer for around 50.00.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I tell mine dry jokes. And wait for the sun to shine.. which a cruel/dry joke. lol

5. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Put it in a regular tumbler with corn cob media..... About 10 minutes.

P7id10T likes this.
  6. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

I use a salad spinner to get most of the water off and then just put them on an old towel for a day or so in the garage. I'm not in any rush and keep enough brass on hand that it doesn't impact my reloading.

7. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Cookie sheet on my oil heater in the shop if it isn't sunny out then I let mother nature do it.

8. Bing

Bing Salem (Independence) Member

I don't tumble. I mix some Dawn and hot water in a jar (about half full), insert the brass, tighten the lid, shake well, rinse, spread the clean brass on a towel under a heat lamp for the rest of the day. I do about 50 at a time and you can use the soap mixture more than once. It won't make your brass real shiny but it will clean them. If you are patient you can hit them with compressed air to remove the bulk of the water then dry them.

9. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Put them on a cookie sheet and let them dry on top of the pellet stove. I use a Harbor Freight stone polisher and put around 125 9mm in each tub. Since I tumble about an hour, they are dry when the next batch is ready. I do run them through the tumbler to both separate the pins and then again to rinse and remove the water. Give them a quick dry on a towel before dumping them on the cookie sheet. The towel drys out most of the way when the next batch is ready.

I have used the oven during the summer time but prefer to clean 5-7 thousand over the winter when the pellet stove is running.

10. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks all for your answers, sounds like some of you have some serious brass count going on :)

I'd love to do stove type stuff but since moving here I'm very much a suburbanite and have access to a similar range of options.

Having never had to deal with wet brass before, I'm not exactly sure what to expect, old towel sounds like a favourite to get the worst off, but I don't even know the ramifications of leaving brass to 'drip dry'.

We do have an old heated/fanned food dehydrator that sounds like it would work, but obviously with sunshine coming for at least half the year, having them laid out on the aforementioned old towel in the sun for a while should work great :)

11. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Put it in a bucket under the reloading bench, and forget about it for about 11 years...

Benchrest, P7id10T and Certaindeaf like this.
  12. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Anyone who has dried their clothes the natural way knows they will take wind over heat for fastest dry time.
    Shake and blot them in an old towel. Spread them out on another dry one, direct a fan on them. Walk by and stir them up every once in a while and they will be dry in a couple hours with out heat.

evltwn likes this.
  13. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Dude, time to let the moths out of your wallet.
    Tumble, drain in a screen strainer ($1 at dollar tree). It traps the pins and allows the water to drain out of the cases. Once all the brass and pins are separated, I dump the brass into an old towel and roll it around for a minute. Then I put on a cookie sheet and dry it in the oven at 180 for 20 minutes. In the winter time, you're not wasting any energy -- the heat from the oven is going into your house.
    I tried standing them mouth down and because of capillary effect, water stayed in some flash holes for a week.
    Tried blowing them out with my compressor too. Depending on the case, it leave water inside. Hornady brass bases look like W's in cross section. Water gets trapped in the v's of the W.
    If you don't want to use the oven, and there's no sun, Greenbug's idea of tumbling in corncob media is the best, IMO. If the corncob is stuck inside a case, it's still wet.

That's where I found my tappet feeler gauges and compression gauge....

14. F2CMaDMaXX

Moths don't pay the electricity bill, but i know what you're saying, and i guess i can *kind* of go with the heating thing during the winter months.

I'm going to try the dehydrator first as it should have a similar effect.

Does anyone have any 'recipes' for the cleaner? I'm hearing Dawn with a little lemi shine? Though i've also heard that foams a lot and to use Simple Green.

15. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

I use corncob. I bought a 40 lb bag over a year ago and still have 80% left. I use IOSSO polish and tumble for a whopping 2 hours. The cob cost me $35 delivered to my door and you can get IOSSO for about $12 and it'll last you a year. My brass looks new!!!;)

16. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I use the Dawn - Lemishine combo in my tumbler and haven't had any foam issues. If you do get a lot of foam, then I think you're using too much Dawn.

As for drying, I blot the cases dry with a towel, then spread them out single layer on a second dry towel in the house. They dry fine on their own.

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  17. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use 1/4 tsp Dawn with 2 tbsp lemon juice. Brass and pins in the tumbler, fill with water to 1/2 way.
    Shiny & clean!

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  18. F2CMaDMaXX

Instructions on my rockford arsenal say to fill to under the neck, so, full basically, i grabbed some lemishine and if you only need a drop of dawn then that shouldn't be a problem.

19. atuna69

atuna69 Southern OR Member

Put em in the oven on a cookie sheet, set said oven to warm and when it comes up to temp, turn it off. They will be dry by the time the oven cools down. Couple of hours. The ovens only on for a few minutes. Can't be much $ to do.

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  20. F2CMaDMaXX

Trying to work out how to get a tumble cycle done before the sun goes down as sunlight drying will be great today :)