JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first post. Please be nice... I've tried to read the rules about posting guns for sale, but I'm pretty confused about something.

I have two .22cal guns I want to sell, one a pistol (older), one a rifle (newer). I'm not going to post what they actually are, as I don't want to incur the wrath of this sounding like I'm posting these as for sale, or starting an "auction".

However, I'm in no way an expert on these. I don't know if I'm sitting on something that is worth $10 or $400. Without being able to get advise from folks here, how do I put an price on the site? I did read the comment in the instructions about putting an amount of what I'll take for it, but if I put something high and no-one buys, I just clutter the area with junk posts as I keep lowering the cost and it feels kinda like a reverse auction. Should I just take the guns into a shop and ask them to value them?

Advice? and Thanks!

Last Edited:
You could always go the the Blue Book of gun values for ideas on how to rate the condition of your firearms and also get a general value. After that I would go to Guns America for a high retail value and then to Auction Arms and GunBroker to get a sense of what the going value is across the country. With this information you can set your price...if it is high you'll know fairly quickly when you don't get any inquiries and you can adjust the price accordingly.

Good Luck!

One way is to check what similar guns are selling for on GunBroker.

Normally I would agree with this but as we all know prices are outrageous on GB right now. If you use GB as a gauge you may very well over value the guns which isn't neccessarily a bad thing if you are trying to get the most money you can. If you are trying to get what is fair you might want to see what a few gun stores are selling them for instead.

Example:

Let's say GunBroker is selling a gun for $4k
Store A is selling for $1000 (regardless of inventory)
Store B is selling for $900 (regardless of inventory)
Store C is selling for $1100 (regardless of inventory)

If you want the most money you can get, list it for the GB price around $4k - If you want to list it at a fair market price then $1k would be more like it.

Just remember you might irk some people if you list it for the GB price. It's your choice if that's what you want to do.

This is only my opinion

GunBroker has a section that shows what firearms actually sold for in the past. It's called "Going, Going, Gone".
You must be a member to access, and that only costs a dollar to join. It's found under the advance search banner.
That way, you get a true cash value regarding what was actually sold, not some hyper inflated price of late.

Well lots of folk ask this question here. So you can tell us what it is and someone will give you a reasonable price range.
Pictures are great as you will need them to help with the sale anyway.
If you ask in this section,you will get general ideas of what it worth.Hey someone may PM you to ask to buy it,but you would want to place an ad to get the most out of it

Anyway,give us some pics ,we always like gun pics.

Hard not to agree with Mjbskwim on the pics. The best way to get something appraised around here is pictures! Besides putting your sale in the virtual-hand of a potential buyer, pictures are just plain fun! Especially if the firearms you speak of are unique or curious in any way. BTW, welcome aboard, and sales are easier if people know the general area that you are selling from.

First consider the condition:

• Perfect / as new: All original parts, no modifications, any bluing or other treatment of the steel is completely intact. If it has wood grips/stock, no nicks, gouges, or messed up finish. No visible wear, stains, scratches or nicks, action works smoothly.
  • Good: Bluing and wood is in good shape, but can be thinning near sharp edges & corners etc and shows some use. Small scratches, but no big gouges or split wood.
  • Fair: Well worn, some parts have been replaced, shows stains, scratches, pitting from rust etc. Gun still functions properly.
Now look at the following places to see what comparable firearms have sold for recently. If you find the same gun, but in a different condition, then adjust the price accordingly.

• Gunbroker
  • Armslist
  • If the gun is still being sold new, consider the MSRP for it
  • Call or visit local shops and see what it is being sold for
  • Check out the Gun trader's Guide or other published books with prices.
After you've done this and found a dozen or so prices, throw out the highest and lowest price and average the rest.

Ok, so let me get this straight. If I post a couple of pics here in the General Firearm Discussion area, I can get an idea of value and then use those values to really post over in the actual classified section? Just wanting to make sure I'm doing it right.
Both guns are going to be fairly low value, but I'm just wanting to do the right thing.

I'll get some pics up, but here you go.
22 Dura-Matic Hi Standard M-101 Serial 129####
High Standard Mfg Corp.
Hamden. COnn USA
.22 LR
Condition: Bakelite grips are chipped or cracked, but intact and usable. Wearing on barrel from rubbing.

Henry Mini-Bolt .22
Model H005
In Original box
Had about 25 rounds sent through it.
Condition: Essentially brand new. Zero signs of wear. Literally only about 25 rounds used. It is the black stock model.

The Henry Mini Bolt is MSRP $250, but Bud's has it for $211 new (out of stock). Offer it at about $200 and if it doesn't sell you can lower the price.

I found the Dura-Matic M-101 on Gunbroker. The only two that actually have bids are for $200 and $66 so it's kind of hard to determine a fair value. This is an older gun, so it might have value for a collector.

Ok, so let me get this straight. If I post a couple of pics here in the General Firearm Discussion area, I can get an idea of value and then use those values to really post over in the actual classified section? Just wanting to make sure I'm doing it right.

Just keep your post to information and not fishing and you're good. There's a difference between your posts- which you're good on and someone seekin extra exposure by posting in other forums!

If you aren't destitute why not hang on to them? Unless you really need the money they don't need to be fed or cleaned up after. The High Standard is the sort of thing it's always nice to have. I have missed every gun I ever sold, but sometimes stupid things like food and rent have forced sale.

If you aren't destitute why not hang on to them? Unless you really need the money they don't need to be fed or cleaned up after. The High Standard is the sort of thing it's always nice to have. I have missed every gun I ever sold, but sometimes stupid things like food and rent have forced sale.

The little Henry rifle is my sons and he's not really shot it much at all. I think I'd rather see it go down the road to someone who would use it for their child.
The pistol, while I don't mind owning it, when I shoot 22, I have a Ruger that is much more fun. I'd like to get something that I actually shoot, or like looking at. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the Hi-Standard.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Glad to know I'm at least fitting in with the norms of posting.

My mom had one of the high standard stolen in the early 1960's.
Yours is newer, but still of the same configuration.
I would ask that if and when you decide to offer it for sale, you make contact with me.
This section might not be the appropriate section for this thread, so if it needs to be moved, let me know. TKH in Lebanon, Oregon

This is my first post. Please be nice... I've tried to read the rules about posting guns for sale, but I'm pretty confused about something.

I have two .22cal guns I want to sell, one a pistol (older), one a rifle (newer). I'm not going to post what they actually are, as I don't want to incur the wrath of this sounding like I'm posting these as for sale, or starting an "auction".

However, I'm in no way an expert on these. I don't know if I'm sitting on something that is worth $10 or $400. Without being able to get advise from folks here, how do I put an price on the site? I did read the comment in the instructions about putting an amount of what I'll take for it, but if I put something high and no-one buys, I just clutter the area with junk posts as I keep lowering the cost and it feels kinda like a reverse auction. Should I just take the guns into a shop and ask them to value them?

Advice? and Thanks!

If your highest guess is 400 all you need to do is google your make, model, year if you have it of each one and take a look at what they are selling for on average around the country. I look at various sites and find myself posting something in the middle or lower end as it does seem most sites are on the high end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top