JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With today's pistol clones you could start out with a realistic BB pistol in your back yard then move to a 22.

In some suburban/urban locales, even a BB or pellet gun is illegal to shoot, so check first.

A 22 revolver or bolt action often can shoot shorts or primer only 22 cartridges - the latter are pretty quiet, especially from a rifle.

We teach women-only firearm safety. We've taught over 350 women in the past year plus, and about 20% of them have never touched a gun before. Those who are most afraid tend to end up shooting ALL the guns and loving it, going from I hate guns to when can I buy my own? My wife, daughter, son, and I make up the training staff.

You're welcome to pm or call me and I can share what we've learned. Or she (or the two of you) can come up for the day to one of our classes in September.

We start with Ruger MKIII/IV .22lr pistols because they're big (lower perceived recoil) and easy to operate. For small hands we'll use a Ruger SR22.

We've found this order to be most effective in preparing new shooters to excel:

Off the range:
  1. Safety rules
  2. Parts of the firearm
  3. Stance/grip/aiming with an unloaded firearm
  4. Dry-fire practice to get comfortable with the feel, operation, and smooth trigger press-without having to worry about danger/noise
  5. Put shell casing/penny on front sights, practice pressing trigger without knocking off penny
At the range:
  1. Stance/grip/aiming with unloaded firearm (.22lr)
  2. Dry-fire
  3. Load one cartridge and fire at the berm (to avoid startle reflex squeezing off multiple rounds, and avoiding having to aim)
  4. Load and fire five at a paper plate, dot in the center, 10' away.
  5. Diagnose grip/aiming, trigger press
  6. Fire another 5
  7. Repeat until they can get 5 consecutive shots in a 4" circle @ 10', repeated 4 times.
Once they've mastered this, we typically move them up to a full-size 9mm, again because we want to minimize the perceived recoil. We use M&P 9, or Glock 19. We have them shoot ~10 rounds to get the feel before moving on.

We then encourage them to try on concealed carry pistols to make sure they like them. Many are dissatisfied with the options: they hate the LCP, LOVE the SIG p238 and LOVE the M&P 380EZ.

We ensure they all shoot the "girl gun"—the .38 revolver the bastards behind the gun counter always recommend to the ladies because they are "simple." For crying out loud, women are airline pilots and surgeons. They don't need "simple." Nearly without exception they hate it.

And then we encourage them to shoot the.460 S&W Magnum (firing .45LC loads). We call it the big-bubblegum revolver. They're petrified at first. But then they see my very petite daughter shoot it first and then give it a try. And they want to shoot it again, take selfies with it, and brag to all their friends about shooting the big-bubblegum revolver.

But we don't bring that out until the very end, and we download the load, and show them how to do it very, very safely so they have a good experience.

Feel free to pm.
I hope you're daughter learns to love firearms as much as mine does!

Just like with learning to drive, children often learn the basics (including safety) better if not taught initially by family members - especially parents. They have an emotional connection with family and that sometimes interferes with learning.

This is great advice. When I do informal training with friends or relatives I start them with a .22 rifle on a bench. It's all but impossible to point it in an unsafe direction because I don't let them pick it up. :) Once they've got that down and want to move on (I ask them), we shoot the .22 standing, then maybe go to a .223, but I double up their ear protection (plugs and muffs) and I shoot the rifle first so they can get used to the noise. Then they shoot it if they want to. No 308 and no 12 gauge unless they specifically ask for it. Next I go to pistols, starting with a big, heavy .22 LR. No pocket guns as they are harder to control and easier to point in an unsafe direction. Next a medium or large frame .380, then a big 9mm. That's usually enough for one day for a beginner (not always though) and they are usually pretty happy by then.

This is just generally what I do because everyone is different and will want to try different things. We shoot whatever they want to shoot.

OP, what about asking your LEO friend to take both of you shooting? Ask him to bring something with low recoil in addition to his regular gun.
This is great advice. When I do informal training with friends or relatives I start them with a .22 rifle on a bench. It's all but impossible to point it in an unsafe direction because I don't let them pick it up. :) Once they've got that down and want to move on (I ask them), we shoot the .22 standing, then maybe go to a .223, but I double up their ear protection (plugs and muffs) and I shoot the rifle first so they can get used to the noise. Then they shoot it if they want to. No 308 and no 12 gauge unless they specifically ask for it. Next I go to pistols, starting with a big, heavy .22 LR. No pocket guns as they are harder to control and easier to point in an unsafe direction. Next a medium or large frame .380, then a big 9mm. That's usually enough for one day for a beginner (not always though) and they are usually pretty happy by then.

This is just generally what I do because everyone is different and will want to try different things. We shoot whatever they want to shoot.

OP, what about asking your LEO friend to take both of you shooting? Ask him to bring something with low recoil in addition to his regular gun.
All my kids are comfortable with my favorite rifle Ruger 22Mag . I brought her out to watch me practice pistol on steel plate and she asked if she could shoot it. I had my glock 17 and didn't think that was a good idea, just told her I'd work on getting a handgun she could shoot.
I 10D70084-38E8-4DFC-AF68-48AD7B72447E.jpeg

Rutilate,

Do you have favorite: Ear Protection?

Eye Protection?
For new shooters, we use super cheap ear protection that just happens to have amazing NRR. Cheap. But 34NR
When we move them up to the 9mm, we often have them double up with plugs and muffs to reduce the startle reflex when someone is shooting next to them. We use These.

Personally, I prefer to use the Peltor Sport Tactical electronic muffs for ourselves, because they don't cut out entirely at every gunshot, like the Howard Leight Impact Pro. Instead, they compress the loud noise but allow conversations to pass through. You can actually carry on a conversation while doing so. Here is the 300. I got a good deal on the 500, which has Bluetooth and better NRR.

For eye pro we use these. They are .50 each, come in cool colors, and most importantly, they have flat temples which allow them to be used under ear pro without discomfort or breaking the seal under the muff and allowing noise in. Bonus? If they get scratched, you toss 'em and unwrap another. My son has stolen my really nice Smith wraparound glasses, but the only reason I got those was because they allowed a prescription insert. I just use my regular eyeglasses or Maui Jim prescription sunglasses.

Is that because it's harder to hold onto a sub compact than a full size? I never thought I'd like my g17 over my g42 but I love shooting it.

My wife has a sub-compact .380 that we both find difficult to hang onto. I can only put two fingers on the grip, and the muzzle flip is dramatic.

She's 15, IMO unless she is small frame/small hands, she could probably handle G17 with target loads just fine. (Larger/heavier frame handguns have less perceived recoil.) I'd still start out with a .22 handgun, but if you don't have access to that, then you could go with the G17. Just get her some training that isn't from somebody that doesn't know how to teach firearms!!!

Is that because it's harder to hold onto a sub compact than a full size? I never thought I'd like my g17 over my g42 but I love shooting it.
Smaller grip surface, lighter weight, shorter barrel. A subcompact polymer gun will take a little more dedication to shoot well when compared to an all-steel full sized piece.

Heavy=less felt recoil.
More grip surface=more control of recoil
Longer barrel adds weight out front where you want it. Also adds sight radius into the mix for easier hits on target.
Hits on target=LIKES (for us pre-social media fossils).

Wifey's first gun was little. Kind of ashamed to admit, Keltek PF9. :oops: Worst possible choice for a new shooter. Recoil, in say 9mm or .380 is very likely to be punishing for someone just shooting for the first time(s).

Already answered pretty good above.

Exactly right, compacts gun are more difficult to master them full size guns. Being fifteen she would have no problem handling mid powered rounds like .38 special in a revolver or 9mm in an auto. Something like a S&W 10 or 15 with a 4-6" barrel would a good wheel gun choice as would your G17 for an auto, but as others have mentioned you can't go wrong with a good 22lr.

For new shooters wanting to learn handguns, I always start with my Ruger MKIV .22 pistol. If they master that and are smiling, we move to my Taurus .357 wheel gun shooting .38 special. Nice progression to a larger frame, center fire gun. And, the gun is heavy enough and the load reasonable enough that it's usually mastered and received well. If that goes well, sometimes we'll shoot .357 Mag from the same gun, so they can move up the recoil scale a bit. After that, I ask them what do they want to shoot....and another shooter joins the club.

It's all about safety, building good basic skills, and gaining confidence. 12GA for a new shooter is an unfortunate move that destroys it all.

She's 15. I don't think he did it intentional. I just think he's not a good teacher. But I'd agree with you and I'm not just saying that because he is my ex-husband :D

Sadly many men make this same mistake. Take someone new, hand them this "macho gun" and ruin them on shooting. It is at best complete ignorance. Youtube is full of videos like there where someone thinks this is funny. If he did it to be funny he is a jackass.
As mentioned the place to start is a .22. Even the small ones are easy to shoot and just plain fun. It's going to take a while now to get her over what her Father did to her by scaring her. If there is a place that offers classes, these can be a good start too. Range with rentals? Go with her and rent some stuff that is easy to shoot, for her to try.

I believe Ruger SR22 is striker fired. My Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver was single-action with an external hammer.
The SR is hammer and D/A. Wife has had one for a couple or 3 years she LOVES. She got the compact with the threaded barrel and uses it for carry. The compact version or the full size would make a great trainer.
Wife is VERY recoil sensitive and has been through a ton of guns. This one she has stuck with longer than anything else. I dearly wish she would carry something larger but I will take what I can get. She loves the pistol so she will practice with it a lot. Put a laser on it that she really likes too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top