Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do I buy a handgun from private party in Or. I'm in Wa.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

there is a gun on the classifieds that I really want,..but it's in Oregon :(

am I right in thiking an oregon ffl AND a Wa ffl have to get involved to legally buy this private party gun? if so,too many fees to be worth it.

If i'm wrong...and that do happen..please enlighten me.

thanks !!

2. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

Yes FFL is needed for ALL interstate transactions. It must be shipped from an OR FFL to a WA FFL. I don't know of any exception to the rule.

3. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

if hes close enough he can meet you at a ffl here but it does need to go though a ffl

4. Throckmorton

it's local,but as i recall,it still needs to go to my ffl here,and then to me.:(
    2 ffls and some shipping/handleing. ugh

5. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I thought that a oregon resident can mail a firearm to a ffl out of state. Anybody know for sure?

6. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

7. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

As far as handguns, they must go through an FFL in the buyers state, but the seller can either deliver it to the FFL personally, or have it shipped via acceptable means. They do not have to have an FFL in their state ship it (although this can "sometimes" be cheaper). In the end, the buyer has to do a 4473 at an FFL in their state.

8. Throckmorton

thanks for all the help,folks.

9. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

FFL to FFL (01) can use USPS to ship handguns. Anybody else has to use a "common carrier" overnight...which gets expensive (over $30 last time I checked, sure it has gone up A LOT). That's why it might be cheaper to go from FFL to FFL. FFL using USPS can use one of those "one bag fits all" packages for cheap...

10. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Long guns only.

Handguns MUST have an FFL on BOTH ends to be shipped.

I stand corrected.

11. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't think that's accurate unless you are referring specifically to the US Postal Service, unless things have changed. But years ago, I used UPS to ship a pistol to an FFL in another state (I don't even recall what state it was), and I am not an FFL.

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. 18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31"

12. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Nope this is not true. If you were to ship USPS, then yes, you need an FFL on both ends, but that is a shippers policy. To go fedex or UPS, it needs to go by air, but again this is just a courier policy to prevent the loss or theft of handguns, not a law.

13. sprocket3

sprocket3 Oregon - Wet Side Member

Why don't you just call your local FFL transfer guy and ask him how he would want it done. I think the guy I use in town said it can go private party to him, but he needs to know who the seller is for his records.