JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Amen! The problem is that the companies are feeding the fad. I went on Nosler's website and over half of the bullets had some sort of "long range" or "low drag".

But whats odd is the fad in rifles is almost the opposite. I remember seeing the first rifle with a plastic trigger guard and think "who'd buy that"? A cheap rifle back then was a 700 ADL that still had a decent finish (pre-SPS). An M70 classic cost $675.

Now, companies like Kimber can put out $850 rifles with plastic trigger guards and magazines.

Man, we must have been cut from the same cloth. Remember when Ruger model 77 MKII's were $349.00 at bimart? That was either stainless or blued, it didn't make a difference. Now look what they want for them. You know, on that kimber, I wouldn't mind buying one, but the damn thing has threads on the end of the barrel too... Besides having that plastic trigger guard..:confused:

.625 BC?

Yeah. Cuz that's needed for elk hunting. :rolleyes:

I love these ballistics dudes. I think they just talk like that to hear their own head rattle.

I was at the BLM range one time and my youngest who is one if these guys that takes just about any firearm and uses it well.
Well we were only shooting at about 100yrd, when big lough truck came pulling up, Guy came up all AR-10 all decked out and asked if he could take a shot at our targets.
We were the only ones up there and so figured why not. So he empties out a mag of 7.62×51mm, not hitting a damn thing. Son pops out his AK-47 with no scope and pops 10 straight center targets. I tried not to laugh. Son said nothing and cleared the firearm. Talking with the guys was hard not to laugh, guy was from California and ran a training school for shooters, or some lame comment like that he made. ( sure you do, more likely you mop the bathrooms at the range.)

I never claim to be the best shooter around, but I will say I enjoy everytime I do go shooting. Win Win :p

ever pulled apart a whole box of corelokts? very consistant powder charge. different COL due to the shape of the bullet but yes very consistant. if those bullets had a BT they would be money.

The Core-Lokt bullets in 30-30 & 06 I used back in my day (15-20 years ago) never once failed to kill many blacktails, didn't know it was a FB bullet but really didn't matter at the time. Like judge Dave Mercata of Forged in Fire says, "they will Keal" (he never says KILL). ;)

I do just fine with my .54 Hawken rifle...
80 grains of 2F a .15 patch and .530 round ball was worked for me
Deer , Black bear , Elk , grouse... has fallen to this rifle and load.
I'd even go after Buffalo and Grizzly bear , with this rifle.
Similar rifles and loads , like the above have worked just fine for centuries.

And spare me all the Lewis and Clark stories...
Yes they had trouble with Grizzly bears...but what the journals do not say is :
Just where did all those shots go into said bear...a bad hit is a bad hit , no matter what gun or load you are using.
Plus....hardly anyone mentions all the remarks and references in those same journals that make the simple remark of Drouillard brought in another bear or The hunters got another bear....

Sales hype and the need to sell the newest rifle , cartridge and bullet is what drives the new gun market...not the old reliable items ....
Andy

used to kill a lot of stuff with remington corelokts.

150gr CoreLokt.... one through the pumper, backstraps in the freezer. :D

334E426F-B1F9-4301-84BB-81C56BE2B8A1.jpeg

used to kill a lot of stuff with remington corelokts.

Yep! ... .308 180gr SSP Core Lokt... never failed to kill an elk at the distance that I shoot... closest = 25yds, longest = 200yds+-. Very reliable, consistent, accurate rounds. I can reload to slightly better accuracy, but I still use the Core Lokt for hunting, if I bought a dam tag that is.

Killing with kindness still works. It's not used much any more, so it really throws people off when you do use it.

I've tried it on paper and it seems to go right over heads.

Ha! So rare that people think you're being a smart-azz.

I've tried it in person and that's what happens!

my brother is a freak. he heart shot a running buck at 375 off hand with my 300wm.

I only ever shot at a running muley buck one time... it started at 50yds and I lost sight of him at 100yds... over by Chemult in a logged section... he kept going, no blood. I gave up on trying to shoot at running game after thinking about it a lot.

Except when the victim doesn't get it. I hate wasted sarcasm.

Huh?

So he empties out a mag of 7.62×51mm, not hitting a damn thing.

That reminds me. If you'll indulge a story... My stepdaughter was telling me that her new air rifle was no good, couldn't hit the broad side, and for sure wouldn't kill a chuck (she tried a number of times... she has a garden full of chucks). Hmmm, seemed like a quality rifle from a good brand. I didn't want to hurt her feelings since she is a successful hunter, and a relative, so I began to explain that air rifles require a different technique. I could tell she was blowing me off. She mentioned that both her and the boyfriend shot at a board/panel and the spread was 3' at worst and 1' at closest. I look at the scope mounts and everything is tight... I stand near a wood backdrop at 25yds and put two offhand shots within 1" of each other, but about 8" low. Needs a shim I think, but a 3' spread... nah!

Last Edited:
I remember back when ALL rifles sold had Iron Sights, and EVERY one I knew, knew how to shoot with them! I remember when a Leupold scope was like the best thing ever, we hadn't ever heard of those Furin Jobs outta Europe, and a ThuddyAughtSix was the be all end all of big game rifles, and Remington Cor-loked 180 grainers were King! My how things have changed. I was looking at all the new rifle offerings not long ago and they are all offering "Long Range Hunters" with Medium Varmint contour barrels and breaks and stuff, heck, Big Green had 6 new 700s in that configuration! I have not seen a factory rifle with Irons in 20+ years unless it was a high end rig from SAKO or CZ. Now we have all these bullet choices and factory loads to play with, would seem the days of hand loading were numbered! Then I changed from my beloved Cor-Loked 180s and it all went to hell especially in the .30/06 which are lawyer proofed down loaded so badly that it's a wonder they clear the barrel. I'm serious, I have seen factory loads that are so weak that I wonder if I wouldn't do better with a .243! So I'm forced to hand load to get the Ol' AughtSix back to snuff! B.C? never heard of her, I honestly never bothered to look or even care what the bullets specs were, if it shot good through my rifle, I used it, if it didn't work well, I shot if plinkin to get rid of it! Sure went through a lot of "New" bullets and factory loads only to find that the 90+ years old Cor-Loked was still every bit as good as it always was! Now days WHEN I bother to hand roll my own, I'm using Swift Siroccos almost exclusively and have even laid in a massive stock of bullets in the weights and calibers I use most, just in case they become extinct!
And for those who say ya just HAVE to have the latest wizz bang super magnum, I once watched Grand Dad zap a big buck at a full run right through both lungs mid air over a barbed wire fence, One shot! When asked where he was holding over he said 1 foot right in front of his nose! Knowing your rifle and how it shoots the ammo you use makes more difference then all the latest tacticool long range gear. It wasn't showing off, it wasn't braggin, it was simply putting food on the table with the hard earned skills acquired through lots of training and experience!

looks like the western side of oregon. freakin black tails are tough. nice shot though. another win for corelokts.

was that out of your ruger? how do you like that rifle? pros/cons? ive been lookin at'm

Yes, 2yr old forked-horn blackie, between Hwy 26 and Timothy Lake.... Blackies are forest ninjas of the PNW!

Yes, taken with my .308 RAR. I have $325 into the rifle (NIB) about 5-yrs ago, and $300 into a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40.... shoots DEADLY when cold (and I mean SPOT ON) but after 3 rounds it opens up a bit. It's a fine hunting rifle that you won't cry over if it gets scratched & dinged, and it's nice and light, but if you want to put 15 rounds into .25 MOA within 60 seconds at the range, look elsewhere.... preferably at the correct ranged target, LOL!

;)

Last Edited:
Careful where you poke them knives.

That nick in the gut sack was actually from a bullet frag, my knife was no where near it when I opened it up and we got it cleaned out before it oozed all over the meat. I shot it on the right broadside in the pumper and found a small exit wound on the opposite side just in front of it's rear haunch.... it's like it took a 90° turn and angled upwards once it hit the heart.

Stranger things have happened.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR