JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My stepdad always used to tell us how they grew up poor in small town oregon,
They would hunt deer and elk with .22lr.
So they wouldn't get busted.

Thats how they fed the family.

And since I saw him kill a deer with a BB gun one time, I'm a believer

We killed them with bows and arrows (I never did, don't have that skill).

I like those 225gr 338 projectiles. I picked up 5 boxes of the Hornady 338 SP 225 from an estate sale, and those have the BC of a freight train, but I didn't care -- at ~35¢, they are great plinking bullets.

Except when the victim doesn't get it. I hate wasted sarcasm.
Then you've just administered an intelligence test.

Stranger things have happened.
Yeah, just ask Gov. Connally.

That nick in the gut sack was actually from a bullet frag, my knife was no where near it when I opened it up and we got it cleaned out before it oozed all over the meat. I shot it on the right broadside in the pumper and found a small exit wound on the opposite side just in front of it's rear haunch.... it's like it took a 90° turn and angled upwards once it hit the heart.

Stranger things have happened.

Shot a mule deer with a 270 at about 175 yards. Deer was quartering slightly to me. I was aiming as tight behind the front shoulder to avoid crossing into the liver and guts. The bullet skipped off the back of the front leg and took a 75 degree turn and exited the off ham. Total mess.

Man, we must have been cut from the same cloth. Remember when Ruger model 77 MKII's were $349.00 at bimart? That was either stainless or blued, it didn't make a difference. Now look what they want for them. You know, on that kimber, I wouldn't mind buying one, but the damn thing has threads on the end of the barrel too... Besides having that plastic trigger guard..:confused:

My Ruger came from BiMart for $369! Stainless 30-06 MKII in that awful (but valuable), Gawdforsaken Zytel boatpaddle stock.
And I wouldn't trade it for any Yonkers Kimber. Already made THAT mistake...

That ugly stock is now on a blued 77 MKII that came from Fisherman's for $400 I ended up giving my oldest nephew for his High School graduation. At least he likes it.

ever pulled apart a whole box of corelokts? very consistant powder charge. different COL due to the shape of the bullet but yes very consistant. if those bullets had a BT they would be money.

Yep, pulled a lot of those boxes apart, one trigger squeeze at a time!
What I did notice on one of those range trips was single digit variations in FPS out of a 16" barrel. To me, that was very impressive.

My stepdad always used to tell us how they grew up poor in small town oregon,
They would hunt deer and elk with .22lr.
So they wouldn't get busted.

Thats how they fed the family.

And since I saw him kill a deer with a BB gun one time, I'm a believer

I read once or twice that more deer are harvested with 22lr than any other round. Whew, that's a lot of poaching!

A BB gun kill??? Whoa!!!

I wonder if early man sat around the campfire with his friends bragging about how big and sharp his flint points were.

neanderthal-hunter-mauricio-anton.jpg

In those days it was the only rifle I owned. When it began to feel like a, "Death Ray", :eek:
I switched to a 4" barreled S&W .38spl, with a 145gr Keith hp on 3.5 grs of bullseye. :D
it was a little more sporting.:rolleyes:

I'll bet! Sounds like a challenge to do. My jackwabbit hunting was at El Mirage with 22lr. But at least with your method they don't suffer!

I read once or twice that more deer are harvested with 22lr than any other round. Whew, that's a lot of poaching!

A BB gun kill??? Whoa!!!

Yeah he had a fenced yard that deer would still get in so he would open the gate and shoot them with a bb gun to scare them out, when his 40 year old bb gun would just make them twitch and keep eating he bought a new bb gun.

Deer came in and he popped one with it, and turned to walk away when he heard a cough and plop.

Turn back to see it dead........ I guess they make them a little stronger these days

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews