JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't like the 40?

Good - all the more for those of us who do. :D

The CW40 I picked up some time back was 60% the cost of the 9mm right next to it in the cabinet. That is quite the reversal from decades ago when the price deltas were the opposite direction. As in many fields of endeavor, calibers and configurations are subject to the vaguaries of taste and fleeting popularity. For this buyer a great deal is always in style so maybe I am a step behind most of the time. I do relish that all to short window where my tastes are ever so slightly ahead of the pendulum swings.

Seriously.
Why is the life of the .40 S&W even in question?
It is a solid performer, it does what it is advertised to do and the are literally millions of guns out there chambered for it.
It's not going anywhere except out the door in the hands of buyers.
You guys must be really bored to be flogging this horse again.

Dated, but still interesting:

More recent:

ammo-sales-coronavirus-chart-hero.jpg

State% Increase% Increase% Increase% Increase
State Ranking by Sales VolumeMost Popular Caliber by Sales Volume2nd3rd
1. Texas+524%9mm ammo+1,016%223 ammo+2,478%40 S&W Ammo+1,321%
2. Florida+435%9mm ammo+758%223 ammo+1,385%45 ACP Ammo+600%
3. Illinois+400%9mm ammo+599%223 ammo+1,577%45 ACP Ammo+255%
4. Georgia+334%9mm ammo+568%223 ammo+2,252%40 S&W Ammo+543%
5. Colorado+746%9mm ammo+1,263%223 ammo+5,970%45 ACP Ammo+1,334%
6. Arizona+628%9mm ammo+1,473%223 ammo+1,556%45 ACP Ammo+734%
7. Virginia+242%9mm ammo+617%223 ammo+1,032%40 S&W Ammo+349%
8. Ohio+469%9mm ammo+674%223 ammo+2,217%40 S&W Ammo+374%
9. Washington+795%9mm ammo+1,377%223 ammo+1,539%40 S&W Ammo+538%
10. North Carolina+430%9mm ammo+823%223 ammo+2,083%40 S&W Ammo+732%

The most popular calibers purchased by NAAGA members during this time frame were:

1. 9mm ammo - 37% of all sales.
  2. 223 ammo - 27%.
  3. 40 Cal (S&W) ammo - 14%.
  4. 5.56x45 ammo - 6%.
  5. 45 ACP ammo - 4%.

Seriously.
Why is the life of the .40 S&W even in question?
It is a solid performer, it does what it is advertised to do and the are literally millions of guns out there chambered for it.
It's not going anywhere except out the door in the hands of buyers.
You guys must be really bored to be flogging this horse again.

Are you new to gun forums or what? :s0076:

Flogging a dead horse is what we do more than anything else!

:s0013::s0013::s0013:

;)

I believe that the 10MM will go the way of the excellent .41 Magnum. It is wise to buy and hold the same calibers as our military. If it all went south, the military would release ammunition for partisans to to use to fight guerrilla actions agains all enemies both foreign and domestic.

I have centerfire handguns from 5.7x28 up to and including a 460V (.460 mag).

The worst I have shot with regards to recoil have been a Grendel .380 P10 and my S&W 329PD in .44 mag. Both were the worst because of their light weight. My 460V is a big heavy gun with a comp on the end, and even with a 275 gr projectile at 1600 fps, it is a pussy cat compared to the 329PD with half the weight, shooting anything, including a 165 gr .44 special load at 1000fps. With a 300 gr load at 1300 fps it literally has drawn blood and left my hand numb - that is the trade off of having a .44 magnum that weighs only 25 ounces.

I guess maybe I need to do some more back to back shooting of the .40 and the 9x19, but that is just my subjective opinion - I don't notice that much difference.

My .40 Glock prints sorta obviously during warmer weather under a T-shirt so I normally carry my Ruger LC9:
FpBDaNjl.jpg
We'd all be foolish not to claim that 9 Mike-Mike ammunition hasn't improved immensely over these past several years.
I gotta agree with Heretic concerning some of the smaller carry pistols like those in .45 ACP caliber. When you shoot those suckers they try to jump right out of your paws. I can't imagine how some folks with mitts like tennis rackets, can control those smaller pistols.
I have medium size hands, but I still need that rubber sleeve on my carry 9. It's just much more comfortable. When I see 9mm in this configuration, I sorta think all we'd need to do is show a round to a "bad guy" or two and they'd beat feet back to the crack house:

ZfnmONpl.jpg

Well, your Honor, I'm an old fart, Doctor says I have A-Fib and I can't fight good anymore or run as fast as I did 30 years ago and the guy laying on the sidewalk weighs 150 pounds more that I do. I had to do SOMETHING so I could get back home and watch "Fox NEWS".

My .40 Glock prints sorta obviously during warmer weather under a T-shirt so I normally carry my Ruger LC9:
View attachment 727743
We'd all be foolish not to claim that 9 Mike-Mike ammunition hasn't improved immensely over these past several years.
I gotta agree with Heretic concerning some of the smaller carry pistols like those in .45 ACP caliber. When you shoot those suckers they try to jump right out of your paws. I can't imagine how some folks with mitts like tennis rackets, can control those smaller pistols.
I have medium size hands, but I still need that rubber sleeve on my carry 9. It's just much more comfortable. When I see 9mm in this configuration, I sorta think all we'd need to do is show a round to a "bad guy" or two and they'd beat feet back to the crack house:

View attachment 727744

Well, your Honor, I'm an old fart, Doctor says I have A-Fib and I can't fight good anymore or run as fast as I did 30 years ago and the guy laying on the sidewalk weighs 150 pounds more that I do. I had to do SOMETHING so I could get back home and watch "Fox NEWS".
Let me be one of the first to recommend a belly band holster. I'm a fat guy and wear tee shirts and shorts all the time. I have been carrying my Kel-Tec in it for several days in a variety of environments including now with a guy who started in on me about not wearing a mask. I simply explained that I was wearing government issued Nostril Filters and that seemed to satisfy him. I felt confident with my concealed carry and he wasn't intimidated because he didn't know I had it. We both win!

I believe that the 10MM will go the way of the excellent .41 Magnum. It is wise to buy and hold the same calibers as our military. If it all went south, the military would release ammunition for partisans to to use to fight guerrilla actions agains all enemies both foreign and domestic.

OK, but what if we get a Commander in Chief like "sleepy Joe", of Pelosi, or that ding-bat AOC. In any of those events we'd be sharpening sticks and cutting up inner-tubes to make "tactical sling-shots" .

OK, but what if we get a Commander in Chief like "sleepy Joe", of Pelosi, or that ding-bat AOC. In any of those events we'd be sharpening sticks and cutting up inner-tubes to make "tactical sling-shots" .
I understand your concern, but if that happened, I'd be at another location. I'm simply offering an opinion about the demise of certain calibers. Years ago I bought a Model 88 Winchester in.284 Cal. It was a lever gun and I loved it for deer hunting. Where is it today?

I love shooting .40 and my 226 is my wife's favorite gun to shoot. But I like to shoot in general so I enjoy a bunch of different calibers. .22 / 38 / 357 / 44 / 9 / 40 and 45 in hand gun calibers.
When I carry it's an HK 45 topped off with Gold Dot :s0155:

So which ammo is harder to find right now?

9mm or .40 S&W

I just picked up 1K rounds of .40 S&W in Winchester white box with bonded SXT bullets and nickel plated brass for $450 - try finding 9mm SXT/Ranger (now) for that price.

If you are patient and careful and know what to buy and when to buy it, buying ammo that is somewhat less popular than 9mm can work out to your benefit. As far as I am concerned, .40 is better than 9mm - but I have an shoot both.

:s0013:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews