JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As we speak, Targetsports has Blazer Brass .40 Ball ammo. Sure can't say they have anything similar in 9mm.
Couldn't find it in stock.

But I am getting some FMJ from a member tomorrow - that should be adequate.

Since my SIGs will shoot either 9mm or .40 or .22LR, I have decided that practicing with 9mm and especially .22 LR works well even though I only have about 200 rds of .40 FMJ (until tomorrow). The difference in recoil between .40 and 9mm is not that much - to me anyway, even though I shoot 115/124 gr in 9mm and 180gr in .40 S&W

I do notice the difference between .40 S&W 180 gr. and .45 ACP in 230 gr. but I now have some 185 gr .45 ACP that I am going to try to compare - since the ballistics are very similar, it should be similar recoil with similar guns (SIG 227 vs 226).

Couldn't find it in stock.

But I am getting some FMJ from a member tomorrow - that should be adequate.

Since my SIGs will shoot either 9mm or .40 or .22LR, I have decided that practicing with 9mm and especially .22 LR works well even though I only have about 200 rds of .40 FMJ (until tomorrow). The difference in recoil between .40 and 9mm is not that much - to me anyway, even though I shoot 115/124 gr in 9mm and 180gr in .40 S&W

I do notice the difference between .40 S&W 180 gr. and .45 ACP in 230 gr. but I now have some 185 gr .45 ACP that I am going to try to compare - since the ballistics are very similar, it should be similar recoil with similar guns (SIG 227 vs 226).

Just that fast, the .40 ball ammo I spoke of is sold out.:(

I'd like to buy some ; Nosler 200gr 40S&W Blue tip filled Bonded
Asked them to make it in 165gr Bonded
Recent purchase of 150gr 40sw
Shooting in 16" barrel.
So 200gr will be interesting.

I'd like to buy some ; Nosler 200gr 40S&W Blue tip filled Bonded
Asked them to make it in 165gr Bonded
Recent purchase of 150gr 40sw
Shooting in 16" barrel.
So 200gr will be interesting.

I prefer 180 gr - it seems to be a sweet spot with regards to penetration, expansion and ability to overcome barriers and bones. It is about the same ballistics as 185 gr in .45 ACP too (especially when loaded hotter), a load that many consider to be effective and the .40 has better sectional density - but at the same time, is usually subsonic in most loads and IMO is quite controllable in a SIG 229 or 226.

I had to stop by the hardware store that is near my office today for a non-gun related reason, but I stopped to look at the ammo shelf. There was a decent supply of ammunition for hunting rifles, but only two, lonely boxes of handgun ammo: one was .45 GAP, the other .40 S&W. My hunch is it isn't a coincidence.

Here's my tin foil version of the future for 40 cal.
Gun sales people live in the land of New and Improved. Guns don't wear out, So they can only sell New and Improved. When they could convince enough police purchasing agents that the 6 round revolvers were not enough, Along came the Wonder 9's, New and improved!
Then 9mm wasn't enough to handle a dedicated BG. We needed the 10mm! New and Improved!
When it was found that non gun people had a hard time passing the Quals, Along came 40 cal! It held more ammo than a 45 but packed more punch than a 9mm. Again New and Improved!

So cops have been carrying 40 cal for 15 or 20 years now, The Gun sales people need a New Improvement to sell new guns. So they put bullet designers to work on 9mm ammo. So the new improvement is that I can deliver the Incapacitation power of a 40 cal in a 9mm package! New and Improved again. Notice I didn't say Stopping power. This is in a high capacity package that any cop can carry and be trained to shoot well.

Now for the tinfoil part!
Once I have sold all the departments on new 9mm guns and saturated the market, I'm just waiting for the next Miami FBI incident where the 9mm doesn't stop the BG's fast enough. Then Stopping power will be the new buzz word, and I will have improved the 40 cal's bullet selection to maximize Stopping Power! and I will have my next New and Improved!

Every cop shop in the country will again have to convert to the New and Improved 40 cal!

Now you ask Why did they not improve the 40 cal bullets with the 9mm improvements? That would prevent future sales of the New and Improved 40 cal bullets!

Any way thats my best tin foil guess! DR
Someone should "new and improved" the fotee-fi acey-pee.. Seriously!

Gun sales people live in the land of New and Improved. Guns don't wear out, So they can only sell New and Improved. When they could convince enough police purchasing agents that the 6 round revolvers were not enough, Along came the Wonder 9's, New and improved!
Then 9mm wasn't enough to handle a dedicated BG. We needed the 10mm! New and Improved!
When it was found that non gun people had a hard time passing the Quals, Along came 40 cal! It held more ammo than a 45 but packed more punch than a 9mm. Again New and Improved!

So cops have been carrying 40 cal for 15 or 20 years now, The Gun sales people need a New Improvement to sell new guns. So they put bullet designers to work on 9mm ammo. So the new improvement is that I can deliver the Incapacitation power of a 40 cal in a 9mm package! New and Improved again. Notice I didn't say Stopping power. This is in a high capacity package that any cop can carry and be trained to shoot well.

Once I have sold all the departments on new 9mm guns and saturated the market, I'm just waiting for the next Miami FBI incident where the 9mm doesn't stop the BG's fast enough. Then Stopping power will be the new buzz word, and I will have improved the 40 cal's bullet selection to maximize Stopping Power! and I will have my next New and Improved!

Every cop shop in the country will again have to convert to the New and Improved 40 cal!

Now you ask Why did they not improve the 40 cal bullets with the 9mm improvements? That would prevent future sales of the New and Improved 40 cal bullets!

Good idea. Gonna tell the media that the cops are shooting guys like Mr. Blake 7 times because 9mm. 40 will be the antidote to poor innocent people being shot MULTIPLE times. 9mm is racist! And metric!

1911 in 9mm? I guess I'm going to hell too because I WANT ONE!
Well, I had a 1911-a1 in 9mmP and got rid of it cuz the BHP made a LOT more sense in a 9mmP. Much handier! (As a 9) BeSIDES, if JMB (genuflection) had meant for the 1911 to be in something OTHER than .45acey-pee, He would have at least SAID so!
That said, I do have a Smith 411 .40 (pre-mag-ban) which I havent fired in years, all ready to roll should needs require... My rede is it is a good round and I can load the {insert favorite epithet} out of it.

Last Edited:
.40 caliber has been around for a long time...
I even have one...
Its a mix of old and new parts...the lock , barrel and inlays are old...as in from the 1500's...
The stock is a new made replacement.

Wait , this may not be the .40 you were asking about...:eek: :D
Andy
View attachment 671798
Andy what the HECK is that thing, anyway? A snaphaunce? Matchlock? Seriously, I can't find anything resembling it online pics... Did they even have guns in the 1500's, or just "Gonnes"?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last Edited:

Is it too much to hope that 357 Sig will finally be the next last big thing (tm)?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top