JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess the economics in portland is different...

tacoma bullseye shooting range has the same policy or they charge an extra 5$ if you bring in your ammo...

most people pay the extra 5$

then the other ranges in the area all allow you to bring in your own ammo...

just be thankful we're not like the other states where range fee is per hour...

Pretty common at most gun stores I have visited that had their own range.

I have probably shot at one of those ranges - a long time ago - but I don't recall actually doing it.

Mostly any official range I have gone to was a club - I was either a member or a guest of a member. Their indoor ranges are almost always rimfire only.

As for purchasing their ammo, I wouldn't if it was reloads. I no longer purchase commercial reloads after one blew out at the web (granted, it was a Glock but this was a first for me). The problem in my mind is that I have no idea how often that case has been reloaded, and it is quite possible that they don't know either.

If they are selling reloads, and they are using the brass from their range (many of those commercial indoor ranges don't let you pick up spent brass), then how do they know which brass is once fired, which brass has been reloaded, and how many times has it been reloaded?

What kind of quality control do they have?

No, if I am going to shoot reloads, it will be my own where I track such things as how many times a particular case has been reloaded, and with what powder charge.

Not sure about up here but elsewhere it was fairly common for indoor ranges not allowing outside ammo. They A) make money on the ammo they sell your, and B) know what ammo you are shooting at their backstop. They don't want you shooting AP / steel core and punching holes in or damaging the backstop.
They have things called "walls" up in that neck? heavens! what will they think of next? golly

What ranges allow you to bring your own? I am on waiting list for Tri County but have no idea when I will here from them.

It will probably be a long time, I hear they have a loooooong waiting list.
The ranges I belong too are nothing fancy and one (Newberg Pistol and Rifle Club) has very limited hours. But it works for me and for $30/year and a range fee of $2.00 which includes targets I can live with it. The other is a plain jane outdoor range Chehalem valley sportsman club in dundee $100/year and no range fees.

Medford Rifle and Pistol club. $75.00 per year. Open 24/7. Hundguns up to .44 mag. BYOA. (Ammo).
Check out the mrpc website.

I also have a range at the house. Its nice to live in the country.

the really awesome bit is when they run out of ammo :s0155: 22lr anyone?

i would never go to a range that doesnt let me use my own ammo though. really, do they stock every caliber in the entire world? are they really going to have 7.62x38r, 327 federal, 25acp?

I've been to 6 or 7 indoor ranges in the Seattle area and I've been able to use my own ammo in all of them. I did have one range ask to inspect the ammo I was intending to use though.

Never been to an indoor range that doesn't allow you to bring your own ammo. That said, allot limit the type of ammo to copper plated or fully jacketed to reduce the lead exposure and they don't like steel or aluminum cased because they resell the "brass" so those are frowned upon. They also require you to shoot their ammo through their guns if you rent... you break it by sneaking in your ammo and you bought the remains! Last but not least they allow 62 gr .556 but not the ss core because it damages the barrier to the outside world.

Haven't seen that at any ranges I've been to. Shooting Sports Northwest has reactive steel targets so you must shoot frangible ammo which they sell. Perhaps you can bring your own? Not sure about shooting at the paper targets.

There's a couple ways too look at this I suppose. Would you go to a Tavern for the establishment and take your own booze? Or restaurant and take in your own food? Probably not.

I've gone to restaurants and brought my own wine -- does that count?

And when I rent a car, I don't buy gas from them, I buy it myself and put it in. Same thing.

I don't buy tires for my car from the dealer too, but somehow, they seem to stay in business.

UD

Not true Swedish.

It's about greed. If they just cared about what you're shooting, then let me buy the exact same ammo as they're selling (at 1/2 of the price), and bring it to their establishments to shoot.

Same thing about targets...

All of the commercial ranges that I've been to are that way. The clubs on the other hand, don't seem to care. Heck, Tri-County doesn't even sell ammo. (but they do have cheap targets you can buy if you want to.)

UD

Well, Norpoint, up in Arlington WA had a jackass come in and shoot tracer rounds out of an AR and start a fire, but they still let shooters bring their own ammo. The idiot had signed the range use agreement, which specifically prohibits certain types of ammo, and I heard the video evidence is damning, so he'll be paying for it & maybe facing criminal charges. They always take a peek in my range bag and check the ammo, even though I'm a member and they all know me. . . not all the ranges are out to gouge shooters.

It will probably be a long time, I hear they have a loooooong waiting list.
The ranges I belong too are nothing fancy and one (Newberg Pistol and Rifle Club) has very limited hours. But it works for me and for $30/year and a range fee of $2.00 which includes targets I can live with it. The other is a plain jane outdoor range Chehalem valley sportsman club in dundee $100/year and no range fees.

My kids belong to Tri-County. Been there a few times with them.

Chehalem sounds interesting since I live on Chehalem Mtn., but I can shoot on my property too (rarely do because distance is limited and neighbor dogs often come around to beg for a treat).

I was looking for a range this side of the Cascades that allows 50 BMG and has at least 600 yards, but none of them do. Not a big deal as I am selling my Armalite AR50 anyway.

I've gone to restaurants and brought my own wine -- does that count?

And when I rent a car, I don't buy gas from them, I buy it myself and put it in. Same thing.

I don't buy tires for my car from the dealer too, but somehow, they seem to stay in business.

UD

We'll usually there's a cork fee when bringing in wine, and if you don't fill the car with correct fuel, they will hit you there, I don't use a range that requires I buy there ammo, but I understand why they do it. One thing I have learned in my 6 years up here, if idiots could fly this would be the hub airport. There's a lot of do what I want regardless of others attitude which hurts everyone, including shooters. If you don't like the rule, think they are gouging, don't shoot there, drive to the mountain or wherever and play there.

We'll usually there's a cork fee when bringing in wine, and if you don't fill the car with correct fuel, they will hit you there, I don't use a range that requires I buy there ammo, but I understand why they do it. One thing I have learned in my 6 years up here, if idiots could fly this would be the hub airport. There's a lot of do what I want regardless of others attitude which hurts everyone, including shooters. If you don't like the rule, think they are gouging, don't shoot there, drive to the mountain or wherever and play there.

Exactly. I never begrudge anyone for earning their way, especially small business. We have feet, we can go where we want. I wish there were many more ranges out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top