JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't been to a range for many years, and i didn't own any firearms when i did.

I looked at Beavercreek Armory as it's close to me and saw that even if i bring my own guns, they won't let me shoot my own ammo, factory or otherwise.

I was wondering how common this is?

Not sure about up here but elsewhere it was fairly common for indoor ranges not allowing outside ammo. They A) make money on the ammo they sell your, and B) know what ammo you are shooting at their backstop. They don't want you shooting AP / steel core and punching holes in or damaging the backstop.

Not true Swedish.

It's about greed. If they just cared about what you're shooting, then let me buy the exact same ammo as they're selling (at 1/2 of the price), and bring it to their establishments to shoot.

Same thing about targets...

All of the commercial ranges that I've been to are that way. The clubs on the other hand, don't seem to care. Heck, Tri-County doesn't even sell ammo. (but they do have cheap targets you can buy if you want to.)

UD

Profit is what keep the ranges open and they derive profit from selling product as well as range fees.
It is their range, their rules. If you want to have ranges available they have to make profit.
Its quite simple. They do not do it for their health. If you want a free range, build yourself one.
Even the CC Sheriffs range makes profit by restricting to use of ammo they sell.
Why does everyone think that everything should be free for their benefit ???????
Be thankful there are ranges left out there. It will cost a hell of a lot more to drive up to the mtns
and shoot in the rain. Or go sign on to a club and pay the fees and dues. It all costs something.

Not true Swedish.

It's about greed. If they just cared about what you're shooting, then let me buy the exact same ammo as they're selling (at 1/2 of the price), and bring it to their establishments to shoot.

Same thing about targets...

All of the commercial ranges that I've been to are that way. The clubs on the other hand, don't seem to care. Heck, Tri-County doesn't even sell ammo. (but they do have cheap targets you can buy if you want to.)

UD

Tri County did sell ammo, mostly trap loads and skeet loads, or they used to sell a lot of fiocci there. My Son and I used to shoot a couple times a week there. Bought several cases of 12 and 20.

We've only been to one indoor range besides Johnson Creek well over 20 years ago. The Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas does not allow "outside" ammo. So, ya gotta buy their stuff.
Walk into a typical sporting goods store and try to find a box of regular ol 9mm. Oh, yeah, good luck with that. But, we went to the range and they had what we needed. Granted it wasn't a cheap as reloads, but I think it was less than 2 bucks more than I would expect to pay elsewhere, if elsewhere isn't gouging like many places are.
Yeah, they do need to make a profit to stay in business and I don't think the ammo prices are out of line. I'll bet they make 5 time the profit on the targets.:s0114:

We've only been to one indoor range besides Johnson Creek well over 20 years ago. The Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas does not allow "outside" ammo. So, ya gotta buy their stuff.
Walk into a typical sporting goods store and try to find a box of regular ol 9mm. Oh, yeah, good luck with that. But, we went to the range and they had what we needed. Granted it wasn't a cheap as reloads, but I think it was less than 2 bucks more than I would expect to pay elsewhere, if elsewhere isn't gouging like many places are.
Yeah, they do need to make a profit to stay in business and I don't think the ammo prices are out of line. I'll bet they make 5 time the profit on the targets.:s0114:

Yes, I think its great they stay solvent and in business.
They dont get hundreds or thousands of customers a day like a grocery store. They have to have some kind of cash flow to keep the lights on. A buck or two extra is fine by me. When they stop making enough to make a living and pay the overhead they will disappear.
Then listen to the howling. :D

Safety for their backstops from hot loads as well as profit are the likely reasons.
I shoot at BC because it is just a few miles from my home and I can often have the range to myself. The owners are friendly and I have never had any problems there.

There's a couple ways too look at this I suppose. Would you go to a Tavern for the establishment and take your own booze? Or restaurant and take in your own food? Probably not.

I do however hate being governed or extorted some place like a shooting range as shooting and hunting is where I find my inner peace. I am lucky in the sense to have my own property's to shoot at and many of my friends and family have personal ranges. I just don't go to those other kind of ranges. That's the trade off of living out in small town America I guess, I'll take it!

I guess as most of my shooting is done on my own then i supply all my own ammo, i'm not setup to start paying again for it, i'd love to know what ranges don't require purchasing their ammo.

Ranges not allowing outside ammo is one of the things that disappoints me about the shooting scene in the Portland area.

I understand that the ranges don’t want their backstop chewed up with steel core or AP stuff. That’s a legitimate concern but they can test for that with a magnet. Demanding that we buy low quality, aluminum cased ammo or awful reloaded ammo at inflated prices is ridiculous.

Not being able to shoot 9mm (or whatever caliber) because the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas is out of it is absurd. A friend hates the crummy reloads he is forced to use at the Beaver Creek Armory range.

Yes, the ranges need to make a profit. They can do that without requiring us to buy their ammo. Up the range fee a few bucks and the problem is solved. I’ve lived in other areas that allow outside ammo and they make out fine on range fees and targets.

The problem for shooters in the Portland area is that there is no viable competition among indoor ranges open to the public.

Yes, the ranges need to make a profit. They can do that without requiring us to buy their ammo. Up the range fee a few bucks and the problem is solved. I've lived in other areas that allow outside ammo and they make out fine on range fees and targets.
:s0155:

I briefly considered joining the indoor range in my area. I don't mind paying for the facilities, but the deal breaker was paying for reloads. I didn't buy my gun to shoot only reloaded FMJ.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top