JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to be a member of VRPC in Vancouver well being able to shoot only LRN Non Jacketed they say it is safety issue? well... I never renewed the membership as I like to shoot what I carry from time to time to keep proficiency! Also their hours since it it not staffed 10pm cut off well someone like me that kinda is away for time zones 1/2 way around the world it did not work also. And when I had time to go there was always something happening they dont keep an updated schedule. So VRPC was a wast of money for sure! Every other range I looked at wanted you to buy ammo and dont carry my brand of ammo so i do not give them my business.

I used to be a member of VRPC in Vancouver well being able to shoot only LRN Non Jacketed they say it is safety issue? well... I never renewed the membership as I like to shoot what I carry from time to time to keep proficiency! Also their hours since it it not staffed 10pm cut off well someone like me that kinda is away for time zones 1/2 way around the world it did not work also. And when I had time to go there was always something happening they dont keep an updated schedule. So VRPC was a wast of money for sure! Every other range I looked at wanted you to buy ammo and dont carry my brand of ammo so i do not give them my business.

That is what freedom is. :D

I've gone to restaurants and brought my own wine -- does that count?

And when I rent a car, I don't buy gas from them, I buy it myself and put it in. Same thing.

I don't buy tires for my car from the dealer too, but somehow, they seem to stay in business.

UD

Golly gee whiz, Can't hardly argue with that logic.....Oh wait maybe I can.

Your own wine= If they allow it, More power to you
The other two analogizes are so far off there is no need.
FWIW
If you read all of my point and not just choose context for impact I think you might see I don't support ranges that make you purchase there ammo.

I never saw a range that made you buy your ammo there until I moved to the portland area (and have not seen any elsewhere since that did) and it seems to be primarily a portland thing. It is purely a greed motivated thing which limits them to catering to only the casual shooters that go a few times a year and shoot a box or two. I doubt many who shoot 2-3 hundred rounds a week can afford to do so without reloading. If the clackamas public safety range let you bring your own ammo I would be there tomorrow to give them my money for a membership as would probably 3/4 of the members of johnson creek and a lot of the other ranges around here so it is a bit short sighted on their part in my opinion.

I never saw a range that made you buy your ammo there until I moved to the portland area (and have not seen any elsewhere since that did) and it seems to be primarily a portland thing. It is purely a greed motivated thing which limits them to catering to only the casual shooters that go a few times a year and shoot a box or two. I doubt many who shoot 2-3 hundred rounds a week can afford to do so without reloading. If the clackamas public safety range let you bring your own ammo I would be there tomorrow to give them my money for a membership as would probably 3/4 of the members of johnson creek and a lot of the other ranges around here so it is a bit short sighted on their part in my opinion.

Their ammo prices are pretty competitive. A very nice range and I prefer they can keep their lights on.
Range operation makes no one rich. A few sideline sales enables them to pay the bills, but to each their own. Again that is freedom to choose. That is a great thing. :)

I think portland is afraid,of portland IMO. I think a lot of the ranges use higher pricing to throttle customers because of the lack convient ranges or shooting areas, the increased perceived threat of suicide in there range. I never heard of that threat until moving here. Now, every big town/city I have been to, we'll inner city ranges required ammo bought on premise, that was in Charlotte, NYC, and a couple places in Florida. I questioned it in Charlotte once, and it was because of people bringing in unauthorized rnds and damaging the backstops. I asked about the magnet therory and as the owner stated, 1) he's not got the time or man power to inspect everyone's ammo, 2) he's not going to strip search everyone to ensure your not hiding something. People who are going to use the unauthorized stuff does not care about the range rules, kinda like a bad guy don't care about doing a background check, or how he obtains a weapon. One bad apple spoils the bunch, and I am guessing that the ranges can take advantage, " my range, my rules". And I am good with that, I personally won't patronize that establishment. Just like T.D. In tualatin, I won't pay the terribly high priced range fee, there high round cost, and short time to shoot.

Seems to be more of a Oregon/Portland thing?

I hadn't heard about Tacoma Bullseye $5 fee, which they can roll into a cone, sit upon and spin. Our commercial ranges sell ammo but there's no mandatory purchase or fees (yet).

The day I walk in and they have a "must buy our crap" rule is the day I walk out for the last time. It's a terrible idea. Raise fees if you want, that's fine.

I've seen it at a lot of ranges, but never paid it much mind. No range master has ever come out and said "hey you can't shoot that ammo here". When I worked at a range, the only time I'd get on anyone's butt about it would be if they're shooting steel cased ammo. We had a rule of no steel cased. That was because the owner recycled all of it, and didn't want to sort through all of the ammo picking out the steel. We wouldn't let people shoot bird shot out of their shotguns either (it was an indoor range), and only members were allowed to shoot rifle caliber stuff in the member section (which I think is common at most indoor ranges). Other than that, we were pretty laid back on ammo rules.

From all the responses, it certainly seems to trend as a Portland thing, i'm wondering how linked that is to the whole inner city comment that was made as well?

I have shot in one Seattle area indoor range - Bellevue actually. And not only did I have to shoot their stuff, I had to bring someone with me!
As a non-local, non-member, 2 people min. I couldn't get the other guy to hold the pistol, much less shoot, but he came with.

Like it, don't like it. Find a place you like; don't spend money at places you don't like.

From all the responses, it certainly seems to trend as a Portland thing, i'm wondering how linked that is to the whole inner city comment that was made as well?

I don't know of a "link" to it, most inner city folks IMO are not the gun owners as much as in the Burbs or country. Most apartments have a hard time accomdating a 700 lbs safe (maybe off on weight, but mine feels that heavy). So most ranges in the city are prepared for gun rentals and ammo sales from what I see. I don't think its just a Portland thing, I think you will find it anywhere the range owner wants complete or almost complete control of what calibers he/she allows, and type of ammo. Like I said above, I have been to many ranges that wanted me to spend my day in their range with their ammo supplied. I have also been to ranges that allowed me to toss the kitchen sink down range if i wanted too. I understand the concept, I understand the possible need to regulate ammo that is in their range, does not mean i like it or will contribute to their funding. I don't know if its an insurance or city wide code that says it, i don't know, but like i said, it happens here and other cities around the country.
On the same note, I was reading in one of my fine gun mags that a lot of ranges are relaxing their rules due to the lack of avaliblilty of ammo. Back to the good ole capitolism theory, to make a dollar, you have to produce what the customer wants and needs, if not, they go somewhere else

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top