JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a female friend who is a marathoner and often runs on paths alongside roadways and bridges. We were talking today about her being aware of possible threats and the fact that she had recently taken a basic self-defense class. She is attractive and runs almost every day in her city, often 10-20 miles at a time.
So the question is asking what are possibilities to move beyond pepper spray(gel) and weaponized jewelry? If she carried it would be relatively small live a Sig 938 but what might be the best carry option? Just asking for intelligent ideas. Any runners on here like to comment? Thanks

A lot of it has to do with planning and awareness. Plan routes that are well lit, populated, and don't put her in places that are frequented by less desirables.

While she is running, don't wear things that dull the senses like noise-canceling headphones.
We did discuss those things but anymore its kinda hard to run 20 miles and not end up on a bike path or running past bushes and other places BGs can hide out.
I agree.... run head's up and lose the ear pieces. Keep all your senses sharp

Maybe something like this.
A "single stack" 9mm is what I would recommend. Slim design for easier conceal.
A friend's wife carries a SIG P938. I like PPS-M2. Shield or G43 are viable alternatives in the single stack category.
She will want to get used to "racking the slide" and of course lots of practice shooting with it.
tank-top-concealed-carry-under-shirt.jpg
flash-bang-holsters.jpg

I appreciate all the options put forward. My initial thought for her was a bellyband and some like my 938. Slim, 9mm HP and easy to use.

But I'm asking to expand the conversation. I have a daughter and this person is my friend. I can't be everywhere to protect them all so its time to talk self-protection.

Her SD class told her to keep 10ft distance! I told her to double that at a minimum! I hate perverts and..... well, if the gov't is going to use social media think I'll leave it there.

Pepper Spray. I've used some and it worked great. Unless it was an unusually pissed off Pit Bull, I can't imagine it not being enough. Fox Labs 5.3. Awesome stuff. Plus its usually not socially offensive enough that people would even think its out of place. Especially when/if it gets exposed to others view.

A friend's wife carries a SIG P938. I like PPS-M2. Shield or G43 are viable alternatives in the single stack category.
She will want to get used to "racking the slide" and of course lots of practice shooting with it.
View attachment 517258
View attachment 517259
Oh wait. I'm distracted!

Yeah, but would probably be hot in the summer, but effective.

Pepper Spray. I've used some and it worked great. Unless it was an unusually pissed off Pit Bull, I can't imagine it not being enough. Fox Labs 5.3. Awesome stuff. Plus its usually not socially offensive enough that people would even think its out of place. Especially when/if it gets exposed to others view.
Yeah, the S-D instructor said to use the gel-type pepper spray so that it would stick on the assailant, dog or whatever.

View attachment 517258
View attachment 517259

That looks fantastic.

I appreciate all the options put forward. My initial thought for her was a bellyband and some like my 938. Slim, 9mm HP and easy to use.

But I'm asking to expand the conversation. I have a daughter and this person is my friend. I can't be everywhere to protect them all so its time to talk self-protection.

Her SD class told her to keep 10ft distance! I told her to double that at a minimum! I hate perverts and..... well, if the gov't is going to use social media think I'll leave it there.

People can cover 10' in 1 - 1.5 seconds. Agree with your double that at a minimum.

One thing that sucks about pepper spray is that its not a good close range weapon. Secondary exposure is extremely likely. It also takes a second to cook before you get full effect and its not incapacitating.

Buddy runs are best, if not maybe someone that will ride a bike with her.
Honestly the worst thing I see is idiots wearing earbuds. That right there allow no S.A. at all.

Go review some police reports, 99% of these are people that are struck from behind, a gun why great may not work as well, when momentum sets you off balance. Its actually worse then if you were just walking.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews