JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I jog pretty regularly. I carry a P365 or P238 in a belly band or sometimes a concealed carry fanny pack but if I were a woman I would be out there with a German Shepherd.

Last Edited:
And the wind direction would matter plus I just don't think it would be effective enough unless you moved closer than my 20ft rule. In a calm practicing environment OK, but in a stress situation distance is better and she can outrun him but not out grapple him.
OC is great if the user will not carry a gun. I always say it's better than nothing but it is far from perfect. It does tend to work VERY well on dogs. Often on humans it's hit and miss.
When going places where the kooks that should be locked up tend to live it's gets real important. Many of them are already not all there. Add drugs to that and you can end up with some zombies that are dangerous and hard to stop. Tell her to carry and learn to use it well.

Thanks to all who listened to my question and saw it as serious. Many of us have wives, daughters and friends who are female and often out on the paths and trails most days. Lots of food for thought in 63 posts (since yesterday). Dogs are probably the primary threat but then it only takes one time for a more serious threat to manifest itself. She really liked her S-D class and wants to do more. Good for her. Awareness of who is in your space is everything. Gotta work on getting a better "spider sense". Thank you all.

Guns are a bit heavy, but she could certainly look into wearing a neck knife. there all kinds of varieties of weights and lengths.

Truthfully there could be a market for a waistband fanny pack style holster
That could house both a phone and a small pocket pistol such as a 380. If it was waterproof it could be even more appealing as salt from sweat could not seep in and rust the firearm.

The problem with excess weight while running is, it makes it incredibly uncomfortable and compromises the workout. But a retention system that could stay tight to the body and not flop around while running would be pretty cool. Im sure those new running pouches thet have out these days could suffice and provide for a decent holster. If not for a firearm, at least for a tube of mace.

I have to disagree about all the knife, baton and other such suggestions. We are talking about women here guys; most don't have the mind set for a knife fight, let alone the physical strength. A man with a stick or a hunk of 2x4 would easily defeat her. A gun is the way to go at minimum, with pepper spray a possible addition - maybe.

One thing that might be an issue is getting her to get into the mind set of carrying as something that is normal and accepted to do. She might start with one of those NAA Minis simply carried in the hand. It won't be visible to others but it still will be carrying a gun. Far from ideal, but still she can get used to the idea. Later she can step up to something more serious.

I have to admit I have no idea about the legal problems of carrying in the hand. That would need to be checked out.

I think in this case it makes sense not to go too small or light. After all, we are talking about training here. Lots of people run with weights anyway.

I wonder if something like a Ruger LC9s, carried in the smallest gun rug or pouch that can be found for it, carried in the hand, might make sense. No need to worry about holsters flopping around that way, and still fast to deploy the gun. Maybe sew a strap on the thing to enhance retention.

Go to Luckeygunner "blog" do some reading on his pocket gun series.
Look at the SmartCarry holster, Federal HST micro 130gr 38spcl ammo in a S&W 340, with a strip loader.
I vote for a good belly band , that's what the women I knew in the '80s carried.
Stay alert and keep moving at a fast pace.

1030335152.jpg
6a00d834515c6d69e201b7c74f63ae970b.jpg
717nxSbljGL._SX425_.jpg

Personlly I'm a huge fan of carrying a pistol, all the time.

But I like to run (not 10-20 miles, ferk that) but carrying anything with any weight can be really annoying.
I would not auggest she carry a pistol, the best thing would be pepper spray, it's small, light, and can fend off 2 and 4 legged threats.

As others have said, plan you route, be aware of your surroundings, don't be rushed to get your workout in At the expense of safety. Just because you are safe on 100 runs doesn't mean run 101 will be the same.
Know where you vulnerable places are on runs, wooded areas, places that are near homeless camps, alleys, etc

Even a key can be a good defensive weapon.
Foot stomp, eye gouge, knee to the balls and run like heck screaming.

My mom gave me a NAA 22 mag pistol when my dad died. She didnt want it. Might not be a one shot man dropper but 99.9% of people are going to run off like scared rabbits once they get a 22 hole punched through their gut. Its tiny and weighs damn near nothing.

The only problem is that such fanny packs already are distinguishable to those "in the know" as "gun carrier" :rolleyes: thats why I mentioned the ordinary, common runners water belts as an option, many runners uses them already.. adding a hidden layer via a belly band or conceal carry legging/shorts set up would make it less noticeable :cool:

Why would she care if someone noticed she was carrying? Good deterrent if nothing else.

I realize this is an old post. I run about the same as your friend. Sig P938 is a great weapon. However for running it sucks. It's SA so havento carry ready to go or train extensively to remeber to cock. The mag release (at least on mine) was sensitive so constant mag release.

Since running that distance I usually have a running belt for my water and gel. Sig 365 fits great with room for extra mag, id, and gel.

I realize this is an old post. I run about the same as your friend. Sig P938 is a great weapon. However for running it sucks. It's SA so havento carry ready to go or train extensively to remeber to cock. The mag release (at least on mine) was sensitive so constant mag release.

Since running that distance I usually have a running belt for my water and gel. Sig 365 fits great with room for extra mag, id, and gel.
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of incorporating it into a water belt set up. Not my goal to find a solution for her but to put the question out there and ask for advice from others who have been 'down this path' (pun intended).

There are lots of fancy holster out there but if she is running on trails and stuff .
It probably going to be a ambush surprise attack.
So check this out TIGER LADY .
It is a wepon you run with in your hands.
Or hand and when you squize it and make a fist CLAWS COME OUT FOR PUNCHING AND SCRATCH. running-product-shot_800x.jpg Product_shot_3_2e45bba9-7d6f-4598-8a28-752707fbce97_800x.jpg

These are really light and they hurt like a S.O.B.
when you get WHIPPED WITH ONE.
FAST STRIKE. They come in pink and black.
I got a few of them for sister and nieces. MVIMG_20190105_125718.jpg MVIMG_20190105_125723.jpg MVIMG_20190105_125737.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top