JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking for something to replace my 99 Tahoe. It's got about 150K miles and is slowly turning into a money pit. I've been having a hard time finding something that fits the bill then I saw a Ridgeline. It's the size I want, has the room I need where I need it, and great reliability history. I know a lot of guys will say "it's not a REAL pickup." Yeah so, if I wanted a "real pickup" there's many others to choose from. My only real concern with the Ridgeline is off-road ability and long term off-road durability. I don't go "wheeling" I just run down logging roads and such, but I do it year round and I do it regularly. It has the same ground clearance as my Tahoe, right at 8". I would probably add a 2" lift and better tires right off the bat, it's tires spell trouble where I go. It doesn't have a low gear like my Tahoe but has a locking rear diff, and I can't remember the last time I had to use my low transfer case gear. I read a lot on the design of the frame and uni-body and it sounds like it would be okay. Anybody who has a Ridgeline feel free to leave your experiences, especially if you are use it off paved roads. Thanks

Sounds like you've already figured it out. Get one. Nice ones should be available used with low miles, because they don't tow as well as some buyers expected. The Tahoe is "stronger" & has more power, also weights more. Expect 15-20 mpg. You can run regular in it, but power & mileage will be slightly better with mid to high grade. I use regular for normal, & higher grade when towing the raft.
The rear diff uses a pair of electric clutches which are controlled by the computer. So the 4WD operates seamlessly. When the "lock" is used the clutches are energized fully. Otherwise, the computer will figure out when & how much torque to apply to the rear wheels. The drive shaft is always driven, but with the rear dis-engaged it "free wheels", like when cruising down the road. If the computer detects wheel slip it will actuate the clutches accordingly.
The reliability factor is a deal clincher for me.

Thanks for the input. I think it's coming down to a Ridgleline or 08-09 4Runner. Both are very reliable, but each ones strengths are the others weakness. I need a Ridgeline to do the naughty with a 4runner and buy their offspring!

Haha, yea the offspring would be great. Good choices. I'd highly recommend you drive them both first. I think you'll find the driveability of the Ridgeline a bit sportier, as far as light trucks go. Probably bigger aftermarket selection with the Toy. Let us know.

I've got an '05 Honda Element and a 2001 Ford F150 SuperCab. I prefer the Element for just about anything. You can't beat a Honda for everyday reliability.
I would buy a new element in a heartbeat if I could get it with a V6 and a few more inches of ground clearance, but as it is I drive it on logging and forest roads all the time and it performs very well, even on roads that look like they haven't seen another vehicle in a year or two.

I'm considering a Ridgeline as a replacement, in order to get the V6 and a little more ground clearance, but if I could get the same in an Element I would go that route in a heartbeat and buy a trailer for any hauling that wouldn't fit inside the vehicle.

I'll be glad to get rid of the Ford though; it gets Ford pickup gas mileage and has a terrible interior layout (comfy, but poor use of space and a dashboard control layout designed by a child, in my opinion).

Kind of along the lines as the person before me, we have an 01 Honda CRV and it handled the logging the roads. The awd went through the snow and mud all over the Alsea Unit and by Mary's Peak. A couple times after going aways up a road where you can't turn around for a long time got really bad and I thought it was going to get stuck and it went through it like nothing. It went through 6 in of snow no problem. If it can do that no problem the Ridgeline should be able to do more.

I really like the size, utility and layout of the Ridgeline I just have some nervousness about a vehicle with no recovery points and low range 4WD. I've been very smart about knowing what my vehicles are capable of so I've never been stuck but I've always had a severe case of wanderlust that will get me in trouble someday. Though I try to satisfy it while in the woods hiking and scouting and not wheeling where I shouldn't. I've seen some vids on youtube where the Ridgelines were doing things I thought they couldn't. I guess the 2" lift and a skid plate is common on ones people take up in the hills a lot and they would appear to do everything I need a vehicle to do. I'm so tempted to get one but that little twinge of doubt is making me sit back and really evaluate what it can do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top