JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) It weighs 260# - weight is a huge factor off-road. That is the same weight as my Husaberg 570 which makes about 50+ HP stock (easily more with a simple mods) and can reach 90MPH with dirt gearing, more with street gearing. My Husaberg, which gets about 30-40 MPG and currently has 4.5 gallon capacity (extra underseat fuel tank) has about the same range, and I can add another 3-4 gallons with two more aftermarket fuel tanks.

The 150 MPG claimed for the Honda is actually much less when taking it onto trails or at top speed on the road - 150 MPG is best case; putting around at low speeds. If I putted along at 55 MPH on my Husaberg I would get more like 50 MPG. Motorcycle fuel mileage decreases a lot at/near their top speeds, especially highway speeds where wind resistance becomes much more of an issue than with an enclosed vehicle like a car.

2) The Honda is not as capable off-road as many dirt only bikes like my Husaberg, or my Beta Alp. The Honda is also not anywhere near as capable on any kind of road (paved, dirt, gravel) due to its limited speed - which becomes an issue if you are being chased by a car (or more powerful bike) or you need to pass a car/truck, or you are going up a steep hill (e.g., going over the Cascades or the Coastal range).

As with many things, there is no "best" motorcycle. My Husaberg is/was an expensive bike - easily 2.5X the cost of the Honda. Also, getting parts/service for a Euro bike (KTM/Husaberg, Beta, Husky, etc.) is nowhere near as easy as getting those things for a Honda (or Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha).

Everything has pros and cons.
Well, that Honda is a "Trial" bike. Not a "Dirt" bike. So there's that. Coming from a person that ran many, many miles on both. Your not going to win a moto-X on a Honda 90. And you're not likely to do well going up a steep slope while crouched down going under scrub oak on a winding deer trail at 1.5mph with a bike that the seat is 3.5' off the ground.

Well, that Honda is a "Trial" Trail bike. Not a "Dirt" bike. So there's that. Coming from a person that ran many, many miles on both. Your not going to win a moto-X on a Honda 90. And you're not likely to do well going up a steep slope while crouched down going under scrub oak on a winding deer trail at 1.5mph with a bike that the seat is 3.5' off the ground.
FTFY

I started riding on Honda Trail (not Trials) bike. First the 50s, then the 90s.

The Honda Trail bikes are nice - I was just pointing out that they too have their pros and cons - the main pros being they are inexpensive and ubiquitous (you can even get Chinese engines & parts for them) - the main cons being that they are not as capable off-road as other dirt bikes.

FWIW - this is the Trials bike I own (street legal Beta Alp):
35jjxnq.jpg.00b8216020c64ea75280d442d2a8c0ef.jpg

And for what it is worth, I've been on some pretty gnarly trails with my Husaberg too.

To each their own. I have considered buying a Honda Trail - would be a gun little putt putt.

FTFY

I started riding on Honda Trail (not Trials) bike. First the 50s, then the 90s.

The Honda Trail bikes are nice - I was just pointing out that they too have their pros and cons - the main pros being they are inexpensive and ubiquitous (you can even get Chinese engines & parts for them) - the main cons being that they are not as capable off-road as other dirt bikes.

FWIW - this is the Trials bike I own (street legal Beta Alp):
View attachment 1844372

And for what it is worth, I've been on some pretty gnarly trails with my Husaberg too.

To each their own. I have considered buying a Honda Trail - would be a gun little putt putt.
Ah yes. Dyslexia! I am familiar with the Honda Trials bike too. Never understood the the draw. Working as a wrench for Honda for those twelve years the are area was more popular as a trail riding, moto-X-ing, desert racing area. Riding trails was my thing. Pavement only as far as I needed to get to the dirt.

I went to college at Southern Oregon State in the late 1980's early 1990s. The first few years I was in school there, I had to live in the dormitories, and alcohol was not really allowed. If you were over 21 you could have it, but it had to be kept in your dorm room. I was almost 21, not quite.

Our dorm was across them main boulevard from a Buy Rite grocery store. We could get the lady across the street from the dorm to buy our beer if we helped her with her groceries back up across from the dorm.v. 40's ofLucky lager were 80 cents.

I devised a method by which I could bring in my beer unnoticed right past the dorm directors office in the lobby, I used my acoustic guitar case.

One day after a particularly large Buy rite run, I had 6 40 Ozers in there as I made my way past the directors office and up the stairs. The handle on the guitar case finally gave way and the beer came crashing down and bottles broke all over the stairway by the directors office. The director walked up shaking his head and exclaimed, "All this time I thought you were just an aspiring musician". I retorted, "I am I am!" but the cat was out of the bag.

The good side of these has always been that they are light weight, dependable , on and offroad transportation. Even as a young teen I could load in the back of a pickup truck myself. In every RV park I have been in there are always a couple because they can be put on bumper brackets, they are street legal, and fairly quiet.
With a milk crate on the back I can carry a couple bags of groceries without having to move my RV.
DR

Well, that Honda is a "Trial" bike. Not a "Dirt" bike. So there's that. Coming from a person that ran many, many miles on both. Your not going to win a moto-X on a Honda 90. And you're not likely to do well going up a steep slope while crouched down going under scrub oak on a winding deer trail at 1.5mph with a bike that the seat is 3.5' off the ground.
Ride your dirt bike to town and back and see how that goes. I know exactly what I'm buying and what it's intended us is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top