JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
THE HONDA TRAIL 125 mini motorcycle puts out a grand total of 9 horsepower. With its twist-grip throttle pinned in fourth gear, it can reach 55-60 mph—highway speeds. But lacking any kind of fairing or windshield, it leaves riders exposed to the elements and to whatever emasculating insults or half-finished milk shakes that motorists wish to hurl at them.

It has wire-spoke wheels, a wee rear cargo rack and a step-through frame, like a child's bicycle. Even I—whose resemblance to Elvis has been often remarked upon—look like a dork riding one.

But don't be fooled. This little critter is a beast, a honey badger. It will take riders deeper and farther into the backcountry than any big European dual-sport rally bike from Ducati, KTM or
BMW —certainly, farther per dollar. The Trail 125 gets about 150 mpg.

The design is ancient. Based on the Trail 110 that remained in production for more than three decades (1980-2013), the formula dates all the way back to the 1960s-era CT90, which was marketed to farmers and outdoor sportsmen as an alternative to horses.

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/cars/...32qrvx4e0ho&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 6.10.07 AM.png

Nice! Last year I purchased the new to the US Honda XR150L. It is a great little commuter or back roads bike. Performs best between 45 - 50 MPH.

thumbnail_20230809_150750.jpg

THE HONDA TRAIL 125 mini motorcycle puts out a grand total of 9 horsepower. With its twist-grip throttle pinned in fourth gear, it can reach 55-60 mph—highway speeds. But lacking any kind of fairing or windshield, it leaves riders exposed to the elements and to whatever emasculating insults or half-finished milk shakes that motorists wish to hurl at them.

It has wire-spoke wheels, a wee rear cargo rack and a step-through frame, like a child's bicycle. Even I—whose resemblance to Elvis has been often remarked upon—look like a dork riding one.

But don't be fooled. This little critter is a beast, a honey badger. It will take riders deeper and farther into the backcountry than any big European dual-sport rally bike from Ducati, KTM or
BMW —certainly, farther per dollar. The Trail 125 gets about 150 mpg.

The design is ancient. Based on the Trail 110 that remained in production for more than three decades (1980-2013), the formula dates all the way back to the 1960s-era CT90, which was marketed to farmers and outdoor sportsmen as an alternative to horses.

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/cars/...32qrvx4e0ho&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

View attachment 1819679
It started before that where I grew up. Come deer season in Utah, Salt Lake Valley, opening morning of deer season, with a decent pair of binoculars, you would see hunter orange dots here and there across the West face of the Wasatch Mountains.
A local man developed an off road "Machine" for deer hunters. He called it "Tote Goat".

Dad was deer hunter, as were other family members. But he was also a teen during the depression. He was very frugal. And a jack of all trades sort of person. Along with one of my uncles he decided to make his own Tote Goat. So in the early '60s he did just that. I don't exactly know when though. May have been '59-'60? That's me in the pic and I was born in 1955.
1707667008099.jpeg
All parts were sourced, pipe bent, welds done, seat made and forks had two sized tubes with springs for suspension, all done by him.
Powered by 6 HP Brigg's and Stratton motor. Two bicycles brake levers and cables supplied brake and throttle. To start the motor you would put a left hand on the right bar to control throttle while pulling the starter. When the motor fired you would need to immediately switch hand to operate the brake to stop the goat from going forward if the centrifugal clutch started working. When we rode, my position was in front of him, holding on the the handle bars. When we got to a steep a spots, he'd say, "Lean Forward!" He had quit deer hunting by then, so these rides were just for pleasure.
There was also another contraption they built, but not sure how well it did. It was a motorized deer cart. Something like this...
1707669447628.png
But with a little 2 HP motor and the operator had throttle and brake on the handle bars.

Now that I think about it? I don't remember how he got the tote goat to the mountains?! But I do remember how many places there were in those Wasatch Mountains to ride! Because I did a lot of riding there for the rest of my life in Utah before I moved here in 1983.
In 1964 Honda came out with their "Trail 55". He gave up the old tote goats, and bought a Honda 55. Sometime later he upgraded, bought a Trail 90, and passed the old 55 down to me. By that time he'd bought a 1964 Ford Econoline Van. We'd put those Honda's in the back of the van and take them to the mountains and ride all day together. Those 55s had the high/low gear range option. Though you had to get the tool kit out, and an extra piece chain that was stashed in the swing-arm tube, and unbolt the large rear sprocket from the hub, put it over the small gear and bolt it on, and add the extra piece of chain. After that it was slow, but it would really climb with that low gear ratio!
After I over revved that 55, and bent a rod, it was time for him to get a newer model Trail 90. So I got his 90. That gear change was better because all you had to do was turn a bolt on the transmission to get low range. I rode that Honda 90 until I got the job at a Honda shop wrenching when I was 20.

I have one on order and m hoping they haven't taken deposits on more bikes that they actually receive. The guy assured me I could get my deposit back anytime. I had one as a kid in the early 60's. My uncle sent it from Japan when he was stationed there. It was the only brown one I ever saw. My wife is not happy because she thinks I'm too old. I told her I'd rather die on a MC than in a nursing home.

I watched the whole thing and it reminded me of freezing my arse off Deer hunting with one. When I was maybe 15, me and a couple of other guys with Honda trails left Cottage Grove at dark thirty, and rode up to God knows where above Dorena. We didn't take food or water and after we got there it started raining like Hell. I remember being up under a big root wad trying to stay dry. The sun came out later and by afternoon I was going to eat a Chipmunk , but never did see one. One of the guys killed a big bench leg and hauled it home on the back of the Honda. None of us was old enough to have a driver's license.

I watched the whole thing and it reminded me of freezing my arse off Deer hunting with one. When I was maybe 15, me and a couple of other guys with Honda trails left Cottage Grove at dark thirty, and rode up to God knows where above Dorena. We didn't take food or water and after we got there it started raining like Hell. I remember being up under a big root wad trying to stay dry. The sun came out later and by afternoon I was going to eat a Chipmunk , but never did see one. One of the guys killed a big bench leg and hauled it home on the back of the Honda. None of us was old enough to have a driver's license.
Ahhh, the bubblegum we did when we were YOUNG! :D Never hunted, but fishermen do some crazy bubblegum when they're young too!

It was .45 cents a gallon when I had my job at the gas station at 16! 4 pumps full service and 4 pumps self service!
I used to get a buck's worth of gas, a six-pack of Blitz and go to the drive-in for $1.00 a car and have change. Yea, I'm showing my age.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top