JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will NOT EVER live in a HOA! When growing up in Portland, we were in a NON HOA neighborhood, but we had a Neighborhood Nazi who thought he could bully his way to getting what he wanted! He had all sorts of schemes and plans and he tried to start a HOA. Things came to a boil when he tried to sue my Dad because he wanted the mail box moved to the corner of the property, making Dad have to walk the full length of the property to get to his mail box! He and Dad got into it and the dude swung on Dad, Bad move, Dad put him on his azz in front of several other neighbors! Dad then called the Sheriff ( who lived 1 block over and was a personal friend) who came to see what all the fuss was, and arrested the neighbor! NO HOA, EVER!

The closest to an HOA I have is the easement on the private road and the more or less verbal agreement that we each pay our share of its maintenance (had to pave it after some of us did some logging - wasn't cheap).

My mom had a house in Keizer and the HOA basically drove her out with their complaints.

Do Air BnB have to comply with short term housing requirements?

Think about any motel you have stayed at - sprinkler, ADA compliant, etc.

Some cites, Seaside, have lots of short term rentals - all those beach houses - they have laws on books, and taxes too.

Air BnB strikes me like Uber. We don't need to obey no stinkin' rules.

(all those Taxi firms need to sue the cities to get all those medallion fees returned)

We live in a home with an HOA and we pay $600.00 per year. We have a small playground and other common areas so have an HOA for that. There is a small set of guidelines about what kind of roof should be on our house. Ether wooden shingles or a composite roof but no metal roofs. The builder put all wood shingle roofs when he built the neighborhood but composite with plywood is much nicer and cheaper i believe. We replaced the shingle roof a little over 4 years ago and composite roof with plywood is so much quieter than the wood shingle roof. I have not seen anyone get in trouble for letting their yard go a bit. I try to do the minimum in yard work myself.

We own property in a unincorporated area in a Central Oregon area, one of largest HOA's in the state. We researched it before buying, the fees are low and it is a good deal. That being said, there are some sh*tholes there, and places that could be kept better. The only enforcement is complaint driven, and it is Central Oregon and most people have a don't mess with me and I won't mess with you type attitude. .

We have not built our house yet, we have to get the style and colors approved, but it will not be visible from the road so I do not really GARA what they approve. This one is fairly low key and some what rural with the smallest lot at one acre and up to 8 acres. The positives way out way any issues in this case.

My neighborhood has a very non-intrusive HOA that is only $50/year. Its basically to enforce such things as no cars on blocks in yard/driveway, no lurid pink houses, mow your dang lawn, no RV's parked in the street for more than a week or so (most of us have separate RV driveways). I appreciate it because it keeps everybody's house looking civilized; you can definitely tell were the HOA ends on our street. That said, I wouldn't want a draconian one either.

HOAs are too over reaching most of the time I'd think. THEN, if a simple majority of residents get their butts in the air they could implement more restrictive regs. As far as cars on block in the driveway, maybe I need to replace a transmission/rear-end, in the truck? A couple of weeks or so and a tidy work area around the vehicle should not be anyone's business. i wouldn't care about a pink house either. It is way more important to have neighbors than what I call "The people who live next door". Those folks that are just unfriendly....With a total crap yard.

I bought a new home shortly after transplanting here from Nevada. We had an HOA in NV and again one here.

The one in NV covered everything. We were in a gated community with a pool and everything. The fee even covered my landscaping which was kind of nice. The folks running it were really nice people and level headed.

I screwed the pooch and did not get involved when we bought up here. I definitely felt that mistake when I went to perform changes to my front yard. I ended up making a tiny compromise, but I got to keep all the changes I already made. The one NAZI on the board recently moved, and I am hoping I can get voted into the board at the next meeting.

Key to HOAs is like the key to local city or county governments. If you don't get involved, it's only your fault.

My only experience with HOA's left me feeling like I was living in an apartment or in a rental house with a dick landlord. I'll never do it again.

I get it, I don't want someone telling me what kind of drapes or window shades I can use either. Luckily our HOA isn't like that, and we wouldn't have bought the house if it was. I also don't mind someone working on their vehicle in their driveway for a couple of weeks. However, that doesn't seem to be the way it ever ends up and I don't want to look at cars up on blocks or projects covered in tarps permanently embedded in someones driveway or yard.

I hate pink and purple houses and don't want to live next to them. I also don't want live in a neighborhood where people can park their RV's, Campers, huge boats, work box trucks and trailers loaded with construction equipment in the street, making it hard to navigate. To be clear I have nothing against the people that do these things, I just don't want live near them.

I also feel the items I've listed tend to drive your house price down when trying to sell, and I want to get maximum value when that time comes.

HOAs are too over reaching most of the time I'd think. THEN, if a simple majority of residents get their butts in the air they could implement more restrictive regs. As far as cars on block in the driveway, maybe I need to replace a transmission/rear-end, in the truck? A couple of weeks or so and a tidy work area around the vehicle should not be anyone's business. i wouldn't care about a pink house either. It is way more important to have neighbors than what I call "The people who live next door". Those folks that are just unfriendly....With a total crap yard.

Last Edited:
I get it, I don't want someone telling me what kind of drapes or window shades I can use either. Luckily our HOA isn't like that, and we wouldn't have bought the house if it was. I also don't mind someone working on their vehicle in their driveway for a couple of weeks. However, that doesn't seem to be the way it ever ends up and I don't want to look at cars up on blocks or projects covered in tarps permanently embedded in someones driveway or yard.

I hate pink and purple houses and don't want to live next to them. I also don't want live in a neighborhood where people can park their RV's, Campers, huge boats, work box trucks and trailers loaded with construction equipment in the street, making it hard to navigate. To be clear I have nothing against the people that do these things, I just don't want live near them.

I also feel the items I've listed tend to drive your house price down when trying to sell, and I want to get maximum value when that time comes.

There are lines that common sense dictates you should not cross. The problem is that too many people these days are under the impression that anything they want to do should be...HAS to be accepted by those around them.

We're both right with our posts.

I do WTF I want on my property. The grass is tightly cropped, bushes trimmed, no cars on blocks, everything looking as it should...until the garage door opens and the carnage is released upon the world. muhaha.

This guy can be my neighbor

43222166_2387449367938544_7188534063790030848_n.jpg

I am going to do WTF I want on my property, period.

That's why I live in the woods;)

That's BY FAR the best option if possible.

If buying into any HOA, it is an absolute requirement that you read the entire CC&Rs before buying. I think an HOA that covered only road maintenance, or possibly front yard mowing, would be OK as long as the cost is low, with a high vote requirement to make changes. Our HOA covers exterior maintenance and front yard maintenance. I cannot recommend this type especially in Washington County, as building envelope repairs continue to drive the dues higher, and the home owner (me) has no control over the costs. I've noticed in this area that nearly all of the recently built developments need envelope repairs occasionally - you see the workers on ladders/scaffolding removing siding, reapplying building wrap, etc. This usually occurs after lawsuits against the builder, the lawyers get a 35-40% chunk of the proceeds, and the HOA must pay the rest of the repair costs. I think one of the big culprits is inadequate eaves on new homes and townhouses, but that isn't the only problem.

Fortunately, Oregon law requires, I believe, minimum 70 or 75% of the HOA members to approve of any changes to the CC&Rs, so there is almost no possibility of the NAZIs changing the rules. Our CC&Rs also require minimum 75% to change them so rule changes are difficult and that's good.

Fortunately, Oregon law requires, I believe, minimum 70 or 75% of the HOA members to approve of any changes to the CC&Rs, so there is almost no possibility of the NAZIs changing the rules. Our CC&Rs also require minimum 75% to change them so rule changes are difficult and that's good.

Ours is 80%. Just checked our CCR's. That would probably be state law I imagine. Our HOA had some excess land and wanted to sell it, but 80% of the voters did not turn out so no deal.

My mom's HOA has a decreasing quorum numbers.
- if you don't get a quorum, then the issue is not able to be voted on, at the next meeting the Board can again advertise and reduce the quorum.
Seems fishy, but it is a condo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads