JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting the hate for HOA's. I've been on both sides.

If you don't want to live in a HOA-covered or CC&R neighborhood, then don't move into one. Nobody's forcing you. But if you do decide to move into one, and sign your name before you move in, saying you'll be a good neighbor, only to scream later nobody can tell you what to do, then your signature and promise didn't have much value.

I grew up in Portland, and when I got out of the Army in 1975, I returned to Portland. Mine was a nice neighborhood, predominantly owned by baby-boomers and older. The neighborhood and houses were nice. Then as the residents moved off or died off, the new residents had little or no pride in their houses or neighborhood. The neighborhood turned to trash, and I moved away, never to return. But, by God, nobody was gonna tell these younger residents what to do. And it impacted the sale price of my house by many thousands.

I now live in what was a very nice neighborhood, covered by CC&R's. We decided that we would not need a HOA, so there is no enforcement. It remained a nice neighborhood for twenty years, but again, the original homeowners have left and the new owners and renters are younger. And again, nobody is gonna tell them to mow their lawn if they don't want to, or get rid of the junker cars or RV's. My young neighbor moved in 6 months ago, and has mowed once. It's now a weed pit. And all the new neighbors are affecting the property values of the rest of us. But these new owners have rights! Nobody's gonna tell them to clean up their place!

I now wish we'd enacted a HOA when our neighborhood was new. And the folks with little or no pride would have moved in somewhere else where their laziness is normal. My house is my retirement investment. And the value is severely impacted because nobody's gonna tell these kids what to do.:confused:

Last Edited:
"Joining" an HOA isnt a choice any more than "joining" a union to take a job is. You are forced to in order to buy a certain house. Back in my hourly days I had to join a union to take a job and I did everything I could to undermine the union and force it out of existence at least in the work place I was in. If I was forced to join an HOA to buy a certain house I would also do everything I could to force it out of existence as well.

"Joining" an HOA isnt a choice any more than "joining" a union to take a job is. You are forced to in order to buy a certain house. Back in my hourly days I had to join a union to take a job and I did everything I could to undermine the union and force it out of existence at least in the work place I was in. If I was forced to join an HOA to buy a certain house I would also do everything I could to force it out of existence as well.

Respectfully, most people choose to live in HOA's precisely for the reasons @WAYNO listed. Why would you buy a house in an HOA in the first place if you are in fundamental disagreement with their precepts? It would be a bit like me buying a house in a neighborhood where everybody parks their boats and RV's in the street and parks cars in their yard, and then proceeding to call code enforcement to complain.

I do understand why people are frustrated with the really invasive HOA's that have overly restrictive rules that make life miserable, but one that enforces basic home maintenance and upkeep can do wonders to protect your home value.

Its because that seldom happens. Ive seen the HOA Nazi with her ruler measuring grass , giving me a ticket for owning a boat and keeping it in my own driveway.

Most people don't buy a house to be part of an HOA. They have no choice but to sign on if they want to buy the house. You can call that a freewill relationship if you like but its anything but just like being forced to join a union to take a job. Most HOA's Ive seen werent there because people wanted to protect their investment. They are there because the builder was to cheap to pay for the road in and out and for street lights so he floated it on a loan to be repaid by the property owners. Then the busy bodies move in and take it upon themselves to be the neighborhood police force.

Agree that today it is difficult to find homes in new developments that are not in HOAs. A new law should allow any buyer to opt out of an HOA, while still requiring them to maintain their home per community standards. [EDIT: This would be a good ballot initiative.] This way if the buyer is a do-it-yourself type they can have control over their own maintenance costs, rather than having the costs dictated by others who may have a different financial situation.

+1 on that. They can be anything from great to a total PITA. Just know what you're getting into and ask plenty of questions.

This is the winner here. No one buys a home with an HOA because they want some control freak watching them. No one starts an HOA with this in mind. No one also wants to live next to some dump, so HOA sounds good. The problem is often that no one wants to be on the board and do the work. So some times the control freaks get on the board who have no life and want to run around with that ruler to measure lawns and such. Those who blindly support the "idea" just chose to not see the blatant examples many talk about. Remember the one that decided everyone had to leave their garage door open all day? Anyone who supports HOA's want to leave the door on the garage open all day because the board decided that?
HOA's like so many things start off as a great idea. Sadly some times they can turn into a huge PITA. There is no real 100% solution. If you buy a home with an HOA you can hope some morons do not get on the board to pass rules. If you buy where there is not one you can hope you don't end up with some tweakers living next to you.

HOAs are mini governments. If you don't participate in it, you will be governed by those that do.

Nazi ruler lady showed up got her position.

Most HOAs hold votes annually for positions, vote her bubblegum out.

This is the winner here. No one buys a home with an HOA because they want some control freak watching them. No one starts an HOA with this in mind. No one also wants to live next to some dump, so HOA sounds good. The problem is often that no one wants to be on the board and do the work. So some times the control freaks get on the board who have no life and want to run around with that ruler to measure lawns and such. Those who blindly support the "idea" just chose to not see the blatant examples many talk about. Remember the one that decided everyone had to leave their garage door open all day? Anyone who supports HOA's want to leave the door on the garage open all day because the board decided that?
HOA's like so many things start off as a great idea. Sadly some times they can turn into a huge PITA. There is no real 100% solution. If you buy a home with an HOA you can hope some morons do not get on the board to pass rules. If you buy where there is not one you can hope you don't end up with some tweakers living next to you.

Yeah, I forgot about that that one...

Community told they must keep their garage doors open — or face a $200 fine

My favorite..."One man in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, told The Gettysburg Times that a homeowners association asked him to take down a sign that said "Jesus" because "it isn't in accordance with normal Christmas decorations.""

HOAs are mini governments. If you don't participate in it, you will be governed by those that do.

Nazi ruler lady showed up got her position.

Most HOAs hold votes annually for positions, vote her bubblegum out.

Just like how we get "gun laws". Too many just want to go about life and be left alone. Sadly those who want to control don't just go away.

Just like how we get "gun laws". Too many just want to go about life and be left alone. Sadly those who want to control don't just go away.
That's life in a Democratic Rupublic.

Want to be left alone, move to a remote island.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top