JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the old Remington interchange chart showed them interchangeable one way or the other. In an old soft lead bullet that is very little difference and barrels were not even machined to that close of tolerance in the old days. I slug and chamber cast many of my older sporting guns. The differences can be alarming but seem to work just fine.

I'll bet that you do! (I know that I would). I know of a man that put a new cylinder/barrel combination in an S&W "I" frame. This converted it to .38 S&W Special. It bucked like a wild mustang! (He didn't shoot hot loads through it either).

I did install a 38 Special cylinder on a Colt revolver that was originally made for the English Military in 38 S&W. It worked fine (I think the bore of the barrel was slightly different) . It was cheaper than having the cyl rebored and fit perfectly. The British did extensive testing and decided the 38 S&W was the sweet spot for a revolver caliber and used it through WW2. Off course, any time they could get there hands on a 45 ACP, they turned in the 38 S&W as quickly as they were able to.

I did install a 38 Special cylinder on a Colt revolver that was originally made for the English Military in 38 S&W. It worked fine (I think the bore of the barrel was slightly different) . It was cheaper than having the cyl rebored and fit perfectly. The British did extensive testing and decided the 38 S&W was the sweet spot for a revolver caliber and used it through WW2. Off course, any time they could get there hands on a 45 ACP, they turned in the 38 S&W as quickly as they were able to.
Argo,

The Enfield revolver used the .38 S&W cartridge, not the S&W Special.
Two different rounds.

Dean

Argo,

The Enfield revolver used the .38 S&W cartridge, not the S&W Special.
Two different rounds.

Dean
Yes.......where did I say 38 S&W Special? They also purchased Colts in the 38 S&W........ that were surplused to the US over 20 years ago. They sold very inexpensively on the market and were in good condition. I changed one to 38 special by changing the cylinder. Are you getting tired? .

Yes.......where did I say 38 S&W Special? They also purchased Colts in the 38 S&W........ that were surplused to the US over 20 years ago. They sold very inexpensively on the market and were in good condition. I changed one to 38 special by changing the cylinder. Are you getting tired? .

The old S&W "Terrier" in .38 S&W and .38 S&W Super Police and The Colt "Banker's Special" as well as the .38 Colt New Police were chambered for the .38 S&W Cartridge. These were .361" lead bullets that are now loaded in 146-grain, 158-grain, 195-grain, and 200-grain bullets.

Last Edited:
The old S&W "Terrier" in .38 S&W and .38 S&W Super Police and The Colt "Banker's Special" as well as the .38 Colt New Police were chambered for the .38 S&W Cartridge. These were .361" lead bullets that are now loaded in 146-grain, 158-grain, and 200-grain bullets.
I seem to remember Loading .38 Special cases with HBWCs and Shooting them in Guns chambered for the .38 S&W. As I remember it they worked just fine.

That was when you couldn't get the Real Thing.

Sorry, I guess I got confused with all those S's and W's flying around.
You were talking about the Special up until then. I didn't catch the switch to S&W.
I think those Colt's you're referring to here were Official Police's.

Dean

Even George Patton (actually known for shooting Mexicans) carried either or both a 45 long Colt or 357 Magnum.........

Interesting! I remember.

MyersHolster.jpg

We had S&W wadcutter only autos that we used on the national guard pistol team in the 70's. In those day's, I could score a target with my bare eyes at 50 feet shot by wadcutters.

One of my best friends was a gunny and on the Marine Corp pistol team. He favored Gold Cups but let me shoot his S&W wadcutter only auto... best auto I ever shot... loved it. BTW, after the Corp he was a cop in the SD area for awhile, then enlisted in the USCG. There he was a yeoman (weird huh). He looked me up at Airsta San Diego because he wanted to meet the guy that beat his Naval Battery scores. After I left the CG he stayed in, mostly in Alaska, and served as an armorer in addition to his other duties.

I was stationed at March AFB in the early 70's. Young dumb northwestern kid.....wandered all over La and San Diego. I knew about the Watt's riots but was never afraid or worried. The only place in the world I have been concerned in was the Middle East.......but my genealogy has shown my family has been at war there since the 1100's so guess it comes naturally.

I know it well... spent a lot of time around March AFB, Pomona, Ontario, Riverside, Perris, but no Chino (bad place). Also LA and SD. All were my old stompin grounds until 1980. Yah, the Watts riots didn't scare me bc where I lived was far enough away... but full disclosure I had to work in the LA basin starting 1970 and went thru the area (only two years after the riots)... not real pleasant.

... spent a lot of time around March AFB, Pomona, Ontario, Riverside, Perris, but no Chino (bad place). Also LA and SD. All were my old stompin grounds until 1980.
My brother was at March for a couple of years in the mid 70's.
I remember visiting him around '74.
Back then, they lived near an apple orchard. All dirt roads. Looked like eastern Washington.
I hear these days, the big city has moved in. Everything paved and the orchards are gone.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads