JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hear these days, the big city has moved in. Everything paved and the orchards are gone.

Dean

That's pretty typical from what I have seen. Wall to wall housing south of Ventura County. I don't go there anymore... relatives need to come see me instead. I have fond memories of growing up. 50s, 60s, and 70s were wonderful times. Free range children with family trips from Pomona thru the back country, Fullerton etc, to Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Used to be a 3hr drive. Then they built the freeways. Now it's probably a 6hr drive. :rolleyes:

By kind of pointless I mean it shouldn't have any significant advantage over other commercially available rounds. For example .41AE. Barely better ballistics than 40 and eclipsed by 10mm.
Since the .41AE pre-dates the .40 by three years, uses unmodified 9mm platforms/slides (i.e. from sub-compact to 1911 size), can shoot a 210 gr slug at 900-950, is known for accuracy, and is just an all around good design, consider that what you have said might apply more to the .40 - which is also waning. The .40 required special slides/bolt face mods, is not the most accurate cartridge design, and ends up being a 10 to the .41AEs 11, IMO.

Had Smith adopted the .41 to parallel their .41 revolvers, it certainly would have done far better.

BTW, anyone with tons of worthless .41AE stuff sitting around in boxes: I will help you clean the mess up at little or no charge. ;)

Arcadia Machine and Tool (AMT). Also, Irwindale Arms Incorporated (IAI).

Arcadia Machine & Tool - Wikipedia

The 45 Win Mag is an unbelievable pistol. Funner than anything. But not as fun as the AMT-III in 30 Carbine. ;)

I had a 45 Win Mag years ago by IMT (?). It was a stainless oversized 1911 that shot great. The first 3 rounds at a 50 foot pistol range went into one hole. Can't trmember why I sold it but it was an incredible caliber. Some M1 carbines were converted to it. A rimless lengthened 45ACP case loaded to Magnum levels. Would buy another if I ever see one.......I think I traded it for a M29 because there were no light loads (like 44 special/Magnum) available for it.

Arcadia Machine and Tool (AMT). Then after the bankruptcy changed to Irwindale Arms Incorporated (IAI) for a short time.

Wasn't there an outfit called Le Mag, or something like that, that did the conversions? I remember they did some in .50AE too.

That is the AMT-V. It shoots the 50AE. I would NEVER try shooting mine. I believe the chamber walls are too thin for that sort of load. But it is a beast to hold.

It was Irwindale Machine or something like that. Had some relation to Automag but instead of being ugly and gas's opperated was a 1911 design with a longer barrel and extended mag well.

This predated the 10mm by at least a decade. It was similar to an LAR Grizzley only made in Irwindale California. Irwindale machine and tool.....made auto mag, AMT, and smaller automatics in 22 Magnum and 30 carbine. I can't bring up the name of the guys (from my mind) that specialized in converting carbines to 45 Win Mag. They advertised in shotgun news.

The AMT-III in 30 carbine was made at AMT. Then after the bankruptcy was produced at IAI. I've got 1 of each. AMT and IAI made an AMT-II in 22WinMag (3 different barrel lengths); an AMT-III in 30 carbine and 9mm Win Mag; an AMT-IV in 45 Win Mag; AMT-V in 50AE. They also made 10mm Javalina which was basically the AMT-IV I believe.

They made smaller pocket pistols ( the "back up") in 22LR, 380, 38 super, 9mm, 40, 45acp, 357 sig and 400 corbon. (if you know anybody with a 357 sig or 400 corbon that they want to sell, I know some ones "collection" they would round-out quite nicely. ;)).

If the OP is looking for a "hipster load" to "get into", might I suggest the 357AMP. No aftermarket ammo available. Must be made from cut-down 308/30-06/44AMP brass, and taper-crimped for 357. ;)

I'm a fan of the .45 Colt(and was before it got popular in CAS) and sent a three digit serial number back to Ruger for an ACP cylinder to be fitted. Ruger did such a Lousy:mad: job, Bill ended up gifting me one of the then New #3s in .45-70. I rechambered one of the cylinders to the .45 Winchester Magnum. I sold the gun and never looked back!!!

I have an IAI Javalina (in 10mm Auto, of course). The major drawback to this pistol is the ejector that's soldered permanently into place. The 7" slide/barrel combination is nice and makes full-power 10mm Auto ammunition perform at its peak. For the longest time, people thought that the 10mm Auto was dead. It is alive and well, thanks to the FBI and intelligent people that realized the round's proper potential/use.

I don't know of any "hipster" calibers, because each one has a use. The wise man learns and knows the uses and limitations of each one. Every caliber has a history and a purpose.

"A cartridge is a terrible thing to waste". - Me

.45 AUTO RIM!!!!...jump on the bandwagon, before it goes all "hipster".
Plus it allows you to search out a nice Model 25 or a 1917...now that I think about it, might be too cool for "Hipster".:cool:

Dean

This one was an original (and rare) item. When I was a kid I accidentally put a 230-grain RNL across a dresser top and shattered an Avon "Viking Horn" aftershave bottle and lost dad's stash of Avon's "Wild Country" with it.
doh.jpg

8x22mm Nambu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8×22mm_Nambu

Also, did anyone mention the .32-20? I was still in the USCG at San Diego when one of my buddies invited me to go to Idaho to hunt deer. I saw a big 6pt but didn't get to bag it. His mom shot a nick 4pt buck in the throat and my friend had to finish it off. When I asked what she was shooting, she showed me this diminutive 32-20 round... I was flabbergasted. But when the load was introduced it was commonly thought of as a deer cartridge. Later they came to their senses and started making revolvers for it, widely considered to be an early magnum level load for revolvers. I don't think there is any ammo out there now. IDK.

8x22mm Nambu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8×22mm_Nambu

Also, did anyone mention the .32-20? I was still in the USCG at San Diego when one of my buddies invited me to go to Idaho to hunt deer. I saw a big 6pt but didn't get to bag it. His mom shot a nick 4pt buck in the throat and my friend had to finish it off. When I asked what she was shooting, she showed me this diminutive 32-20 round... I was flabbergasted. But when the load was introduced it was commonly thought of as a deer cartridge. Later they came to their senses and started making revolvers for it, widely considered to be an early magnum level load for revolvers. I don't think there is any ammo out there now. IDK.
Guess again! --> https://www.google.com/search?sourc.....35i39k1j0i20i264k1j0i20i263k1.0.bjNiTeg19bI
It appears urban cowboys are keeping it alive.
...and I did ask about the .25-20 in an earlier post, but this thread's moving pretty fast today. I think it may already be on a prior page.
.32-20 performance is approx. = 2 .32 H&R Mag.

Dean

Guess again! --> https://www.google.com/search?sourc.....35i39k1j0i20i264k1j0i20i263k1.0.bjNiTeg19bI
It appears urban cowboys are keeping it alive.
...and I did ask about the .25-20 in an earlier post, but this thread's moving pretty fast today. I think it may already be on a prior page.
.32-20 performance is approx. = 2 .32 H&R Mag.

Dean

I'll be darned... cowboy action loads. Hmmph. Not something I would know about.

I think your post about .25-20 is what set me to trying to remember what my friends mom was using. It's troubling that I can remember his mom and his dad's names, but not my friends. I'm so out of touch!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top