JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And then there are the cartridges that have gone full-circle and are the definition of hip now.. namely the .38 Special. A wonderfully capable round for the discerning aficionado.
The 9mm is certainly hip, in a meta sort of way.. everyone uses it but at one time, even though everyone "used" it, nobody really did. I started using it when effective ammo was very hard to get so I started loading my cast semi-wadcutters and some select JHP's for hunting small and medium game (hog/deer) with. And here we are today.. it's pretty much the most efficient cartridge on the planet, used by everyone and about for everything.

And then there are the cartridges that have gone full-circle and are the definition of hip now.. namely the .38 Special. A wonderfully capable round for the discerning aficionado.
The 9mm is certainly hip, in a meta sort of way.. everyone uses it but at one time, even though everyone "used" it, nobody really did. I started using it when effective ammo was very hard to get so I started loading my cast semi-wadcutters and some select JHP's for hunting small and medium game (hog/deer) with. And here we are today.. it's pretty much the most efficient cartridge on the planet, used by everyone and about for everything.
Unless you were fighting Moros in the Philippines in 1902. I consider 9mm and 38 special about on par with each other. With today's common body armor (or a shield and spear) easily defeated. One of the reasons I consider a handgun barely above a knife in a combat situation. They are both fun sporting calibers for the range and cheep to shoot but nothing I want to bet my life on. An assasin can do quite well with a 22 LR or most any caliber but in defense where shot placement can be (is) challenging a 5.56 carbine or shotgun are the preferred tools. That is why guys on point in Viet Nam and in close combat today carried 870 12 gauges and not a handgun. If I have to shoot someone close the 45 (either ACP or long Colt) is as effective as there is in non Magnum calibers but if I could choose, my 44 mag or even 357 mag is a much better choice for penatration and hydraulic shock. In my military career, if you were down to a handgun.......you were in deep trouble.

Last Edited:
I hate to bash innocent calibers by associating them with hipsters. There's plenty of other material out there which the hipsters provide at no charge in order to bash them with.

Logger Sexual for one:
Logger Sexual.jpg

I don't know if it qualifies as hipster, but my buddy used to hand roll .357 Maximum cartridges for his TC Contender with a foot-long barrel. I'm glad my Airweight doesn't fit that round because I'd probably be dumb enough to try it.

357maximum.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm glad my Airweight doesn't fit that round because I'd probably be dumb enough to try it.
The Airweight provides a Great way to do "Double Taps" when you are shooting Double Action. The Recoil is Sooooo stout:mad::mad::mad: that if you put the 1st one into Center Mass, the Gun is Automatically Aiming at the Head!!!
It's not fun but it does work!!! Yepa, Yepa!!!:):):)

Unless you were fighting Morays in the Philippines in 1902. I consider 9mm and 38 special about on par with each other. With today's common body armor (or a shield and spear) easily defeated. One of the reasons I consider a handgun barely above a knife in a combat situation. They are both fun sporting calibers for the range and cheep to shoot but nothing I want to bet my life on. An assasin can do quite well with a 22 LR or most any caliber but in defense where shot placement can be (is) challenging a 5.56 carbine or shotgun are the preferred tools. That is why guys on point in Viet Nam and in close combat today carried 870 12 gauges and not a handgun. If I have to shoot someone close the 45 (either ACP or long Colt) is as effective as there is in non Magnum calibers but if I could choose, my 44 mag or even 357 mag is a much better choice for penatration and hydraulic shock. In my military career, if you were down to a handgun.......you were in deep trouble.

I believe you meant to say "Moro" warriors.

Argonaut made reference to the .38 Special Military Round(it started life as a Black Powder loading) and it's Failure against the Moro Tribe in the Philippines. At least some of the Failure was because of the load used by the Military. They use a 130gr. FMJ Bullet that is loaded with only enough powder to drive it to something like 800fps. They're using this in some VERY old Revolvers(including the BP ONLY) from the 1800s so have to use the lower levels. They still used this load in the RVN) NOT a Modern load at all.

Last Edited:
Argonaut made reference to the .38 Special Military Round(it started life as a Black Powder loading) and it's Failure against the Moro Tribe in the Philippines. At least some of the Failure was because of the load used by the Military. They use a 130gr. FMJ Bullet that is loaded with only enough powder to drive it to something like 800fps. They're using this in some VERY old Revolvers(including the BP ONLY) from the 1800s so have to use the lower levels. They still used this load in the RVN) NOT a Modern load at all.

Daddy told me those stories when I was a child. I remember the old Black Powder .38 S&W Special. The old loads were FMJ and rather weak. The way I understood his stories, the Moro Warriors would wrap themselves tightly and charge with spears. They could be shot with the .38 loads that would pass through their bodies and the wrappings would prevent exsanguination and tissue disruption. The Moro Warriors would smoke a lot of Opium and in a narcotic, nerve-blocked stupor would run through their opponent with spears.

The return to the .45 Colt and eventually transfer more energy to their targets, breaking off the warrior's charge.

Last Edited:
You know why it got the name 38 Special instead of its actual 36 cal bore? In the mid 1800's the 36 caliber pistols had such a poor reputation as a man stopper that the marketing people didn't dare call it a 36. So they exaggerated the bore to promote sales. The NRA used to document all shootings. They had so many examples of a person soaking up 5 or 6 38 specials and still outrunning the shooter it is ridiculous. So....modern bullets are different......yes....what do you load? Hollow points don't penetrate a vest as well as the old solids, maby mix them up in case you need penetration and still have some hollow points to be effective on flesh? There are much more effective calibers.

You know why it got the name 38 Special instead of its actual 36 cal bore? In the mid 1800's the 36 caliber pistols had such a poor reputation as a man stopper that the marketing people didn't dare call it a 36. So they exaggerated the bore to promote sales. The NRA used to document all shootings. They had so many examples of a person soaking up 5 or 6 38 specials and still outrunning the shooter it is ridiculous. So....modern bullets are different......yes....what do you load? Hollow points don't penetrate a vest as well as the old solids, maby mix them up in case you need penetration and still have some hollow points to be effective on flesh? There are much more effective calibers.

The old .32 S&W Long was seen as a "detectives gun", but there was a Southern Sherriff's deputy that engaged many a miscreant and came out on top. His revolver? An S&W .32 S&W Regulation Police. His opponents shot at him with .38's .45's, 44's, etc. The man always hit his mark.

The old .32 S&W Long was seen as a "detectives gun", but there was a Southern Sherriff's deputy that engaged many a miscreant and came out on top. His revolver? An S&W .32 S&W Regulation Police. His opponents shot at him with .38's .45's, 44's, etc. The man always hit his mark.
Off course.......shot placement is everything.....but if your shot is off, bigger is better. That is why I said that a 22 LR makes a great assasin caliber, not a great defense caliber. Very few detectives really shot that much. Guys like Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith were real shooters. Even George Patton (actually known for shooting Mexicans) carried either or both a 45 long Colt or 357 Magnum.........

Personally, I only load the .38 Special cases with HBWCs because they are great for shooting Targets with. I seldom use the .38 Special for Personal Defense but when I do, I am now using the Liberty Civil Defense Ammunition. It's an All Copper 50gr. HP Bullet that is Nickel Plated with a Massive Hollow Point! They drive them to 1500fps. The Bullet will get through a Vest or a Car Window and still be together. That Bullet requires a Hydro Static Material to to make it violently expand. They do work.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but guys, it wasn't .38 special that went to the Philippines in 1902, it was the .38 LONG COLT....because why would Colt chamber one of their guns for a round that belonged to their nemesis, Smith & Wesson.

Dean

Personally, I only load the .38 Special cases with HBWCs because they are great for shooting Targets with. I seldom use the .38 Special for Personal Defense but when I do, I am now using the Liberty Civil Defense Ammunition. It's an All Copper 50gr. HP Bullet that is Nickel Plated with a Massive Hollow Point! They drive them to 1500fps. The Bullet will get through a Vest or a Car Window and still be together. That Bullet requires a Hydro Static Material to to make it violently expand. They do work.
Shooting full wadcutters is great fun and can raise your score shooting paper. The holes look like they were made by a punch. We had S&W wadcutter only autos that we used on the national guard pistol team in the 70's. In those day's, I could score a target with my bare eyes at 50 feet shot by wadcutters.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top