JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While reading some other threads here dealing with dead cartridges, I started to wonder "what are some really hipster handgun cartridges I can get in to?"

I'm already a faithful devotee of the 10mm Auto, but this isn't hipster enough to qualify. Why? It's useful, it fills a niche that other cartridges don't. In this case it's a semiauto intended cartridge with some serious power.

A real hipster cartridge needs to be the following: obscure, no factory loads available, "used to be cool", and kind of pointless.

By kind of pointless I mean it shouldn't have any significant advantage over other commercially available rounds. For example .41AE. Barely better ballistics than 40 and eclipsed by 10mm.

So I'll start. 9mm Largo I think borders on hipster cartridge. No specific brass for it, but you can use 38 super brass so maybe it's not hipster enough.

What are your guilty pleasure hipster rounds? Which hipster calibers should I stuff magazines full of into my skinny jeans that are 2 inches too short?

.45 GAP :D

never would buy one tho. .45ACP is far easier to obtain, and in a 10+1 round gun, I'll take an M&P45, HK45, or 1911 over any GAP gun. And when we talk "hi cap" guns, double stack 1911, USP, XD45, or Glock's own G21 are all better.

BTW I'm also a fan of 357 Sig so I'm guilty as all hell of hipster cartridges.

But this one is for all the marbles...

I have dreams of this on the range:
"What ya shootin'?"
"Oh you probably haven't heard of it..."
"Try me out."
"Well it was designed by Ethiopia's only domestic firearm manufacturer. They only take orders through certified Ethiopian mail..."

So I'll start. 9mm Largo I think borders on hipster cartridge. No specific brass for it, but you can use 38 super brass so maybe it's not hipster enough.

I used to run 9×23㎜ Largo back in the day. It wasn't for any "hipster" related purposes, but rather to shoot classic pistols from España and elsewhere. I could still find surplus ammo back then, even if in smaller quantities. Around the same time that became harder to find, my tastes also changed, so the last one was sold off.

Beyond that, we don't have anything chambered in something that hits all the points of "obscure, no factory loads available, 'used to be cool', and kind of pointless". I recently went through a "cut down the calibers!" phase, followed by the inevitable, "well, one more won't hurt" follow up. Rinse and repeat, I guess. But that is another story. :s0114:

375 Winchester.

I'm breathing rarified air. :D

DSCN4355.JPG

Two that I've found vaguely interesting, but would likely never invest in, is the .25 NAA and .32 NAA. Neat-o, I guess, but it just doesn't make sense. The similar 5.45×18㎜ Soviet is also, arguably, neat, but as far as I know it is unobtanium in this country.

I hate to bash innocent calibers by associating them with hipsters. There's plenty of other material out there which the hipsters provide at no charge in order to bash them with.

I saw a Desert Eagle done in .45 Colt, super cool, but I don't know if it could handle full power .45 Colt, and the cowboy puff loads would probably barely cycle it! Not really a qualifying round, but interesting none the less. The Ruger Revolvers in .30 Carbine seem funky to me, and any of the larger revolvers chamberd for rifle ammo, while they are good for hunting with a pistol, not practical any where else, but look cool!

I started thinking of all the oddball cartridges I enjoy and why I enjoy them. Then I started to get butt hurt. Then realized its the same arguments used by hipsters to justify their grape-infused third nut licker imperial stout butt porter.

Now that I make that connection, only super mainstream American calibers for me!

Then realized its the same arguments used by hipsters to justify their grape-infused third nut licker imperial stout butt porter.

LOL! That reminds me of an incident years ago at my favorite cigar store ...

Proprietor: "Hey ... you are one of my regulars. Would you wish to try a new beer for free?"
Me: "I don't know, I'm headed out for the day. I suppose I could crack one this evening."
Proprietor: "It's this grape beer we just got in."
(Long pause)
Me: "Eh, thank you for the offer, but I do believe I shall pass. Thanks for the cigar though."

.30 Mauser and the amazing C96.

Hey now, there is nothing wrong with a Broomhandle. Would could be better? Well, maybe a brunette with a C96.

386014-a231494a05e7a94b533d55bb4721ea2c.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR