JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I see it being nice if you are Camping and hunting so you don't have to take a whole backpack just to hike around. Only thing is you can carry water with it.

I have two. Well worth the money. I carried one for several years in Alaska as a fishing guide. Besides my fly boxes, it concealed a readily accessible 4" ruger redhawk.
I got tired of swapping the contents for hunting season, so I bought another last year just for hunting gear. I also have a tara pack from them as well. I would like one of their larger packs, but haven't bought it yet.
Evan and Scot Hill lived and worked in Bend for years before relocating to Colorado when the business tax laws started getting stupid. They are good guys who use what they make and find the flaws before it goes into production.

In the interest of disclosure, I have done gunsmithing work for the Hill's and consider them friends. That being said, my review is still accurate. Top quality, well-designed, proven gear.

Buy quality and you don't regret it.

Alaskan guide creations. Holds binos with tether, place for snacks, range finder, etc. Great chest bag that is made more for binos.

The Kit Bag (there are others out there) is a well designed conveyance for a pistol, that also has the ability to contain other items in the additional panels or pockets. It works great for some applications. Most notably, it will fit just about any auto and most revolvers with a 6" barrel or less. I use mine only in the field and not in town.

A dedicated holster for each firearm may be more desirable to some. Like any holstering system, personal preference and what is comfortable to you and expedient for you are the primary considerations and you can only figure that out by trying different systems.

For me, I don't like packing heavy guns (over 40 oz or so) in the kit bag and much prefer a belt holster. But there are those who load up the bags with all kinds of stuff, plus the gun and a couple of hi-cap mags, and end up packing substantial weight in them and liking it. Not me.

I carry only the pistol, a GPS, phone, mini-binos and maybe a map or note pad and that's it for the Kit Bag. Just those items that I use continually all day long in the field and want readily available without having to take the back pack off. Everything else goes in the back pack. I attach the kit bag to the harness of the day pack and that combination works very well. For very short trips, like walking the dogs, I just take the Kit Bag with the firearm and the phone and wallet/keys and that's about it.

I have the Original Kit Bag, as well as the Tara day pack. These are exceptionally well made, in America, and of high quality. The Tara, with its harness system is the very best light day pack I have ever used.

Last Edited:
Will a 5.5" Redhawk fit in? It's a .44, rather than a .357 N-Frame.

I would think so, based on what I have tried in mine. Barrel length is the main dimension to consider. My 6" L frame fits easily, but add another inch of barrel and it might not. A Colt SAA in 7.5 definitely will not. Adding a scope to some guns might be a no go.

Here is a link to a thread on the discussion forum on their site. A couple of guys say that their 5.5 Redhawks will fit.

Will My Pistol Fit? - HPG - Hill People Gear

Last Edited:
I picked up a chest pack and love it. I have used it for hiking, walking the dog, fishing it's worked well for all of them. I have been emptying out my pockets and throw it all in the pack so my phone and wallet and keys are all up front making access easy to them
IMG_20170909_141539764.jpg .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top