JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about this? ;)

29662A37-334F-410C-80A9-80DD6306515A.jpeg

I recently found a 3 1/2 lb. collins single bit axe laying around, cleaned it up and put a new handle in it. will make a great little camp axe. dadgummed handle was $35!

Please read entire post! Looking for a lightweight hiking and camp axe. It needs to be light enough to carry on hikes without being cumbersome and, sturdy enough to do any job short of cutting down trees. Will also double as a camping trip axe to go along with my bushcraft knife. Lets see yours and hear your recommendations.
ESTWING CAMP AXE and it is sitting next to me on a table as I type.

IT looks like this BELOW but mine is several years old and mine has a leather sheath. Mine is about 13 inches long (?) NOT 12 or 14 inches long.

Product Overview

When you're hitting the great outdoors, make sure to bring the Estwing's 14 in. sportsman's axe. It is ideal for campers and outdoorsman. It features a head and handle of the axe are forged in 1-piece and are fully polished. This classic axe offers unsurpassed balance an attractive sheath. It has a tempered thin 3-1/4 in. cutting edge for easy cutting. It has a genuine leather grip that is sanded and lacquered for a beautiful finish. Always make sure to wear safety goggles to protect your eyes when in use.
  • Great for use on camping trips
  • 1-piece forged metal head and handle for strength
  • 3-1/4 in. tempered cutting edge for easy chopping
  • Leather grip for comfort and control
  • Includes sheath for safe storage
  • Perfectly balanced
There are a bunch of nice camp axes out there that are MADE in the USA, Finland, Sweden, Norway, etc.

I really LOVE specific axes, knives and 'hawks!

SOME people say that you should not use the word LOVE for inanimate objects but I usually do say it and write it.

Cate
PS: I am LATE in replying and you most likely already bought your axe.

I've seen it called both but, definitely don't want to hike with a full length! :s0114:
That is WHY you may want to get several types and/or brand names of axes over time. LOL

I am just kidding you. To each their own. One or two may do the job for you!

Some of the longer handled axes and in other brand names are some that my late husband and my MT husband owned/own PLUS I have one of them too. So far in your pictures and I am still reading this thread.

The Estwing with the longer handle is a sweet one but I would NOT want to hike using it. I have one kind of like it and it is in the garage now.

The wooden and OLD STYLE ones are my favorites too. USA and some made overseas.

Cate who owns and uses more axes, 'hawks and knives than my 2 rifles now.

PS: My old friend who visited my husband and me really LIKED what I showed him in my small, quality made Collection for LACK of a better word. My late parents and my late husband were REALLY selective aka PICKY about ALL types of TOOLS and household goods and knives from a to z. That went for sewing machines too! LOL

For hiking I'd just bring my estwing hatchet but only because it's the smallest and lightest. For a survival axe and the one that lives under the back seat of my pickup I have a fallers axe. It's short enough pack but heavy enough to do real work. Here is an example:
I can't get this to load.

Cate

For hiking I'd just bring my estwing hatchet but only because it's the smallest and lightest. For a survival axe and the one that lives under the back seat of my pickup I have a fallers axe. It's short enough pack but heavy enough to do real work. Here is an example:
I agree with this concept for hiking - one for hiking.

Another one in the truck for heavier duty survival axe.

Cate

A Youtuber that I like to follow is "Gideon's Tactical" did a great review on the Husqvarna camp hatchet. Kind of leaning toward that one now. We'll see, still got some searching to do. :D
Is it like this one?

Nice axe!

Cate

After an entire day of researching, reading reviews and watching YouTube vids, I finally settled on an axe I think will suit all my purposes. I ordered the Council Tool Hudson Bay 2lb camp axe with 18" handle. USA made! :D View attachment 899513
Congrats on your new axe.

It is a beautiful axe and may it serve you well!

Cate

Whatever you get, if you get something of quality, it won't hurt to have it, even if you decide you need to get something else later.

As pictured, I have at least 4-5 axes/hatchets/etc. of various types. I have three splitters (one conventional, two Fiskars), a full sized axe, the BBA and the Chogan hawks, several lighter/smaller hatchets, a Parang, a Kukri and some other brush cutters/hooks/etc. (IMO not near as useful as the parang).

They each have their pros and cons and it is good to have spares.
This is true!

Cate

I'm looking for something small, light, cheap and MOLLE/belt loop capable for my itty bitty overnight bag with limited straps to play with.
I have a SOG and if I can find a link and picture of it online, I will put it up for you.

It is not meant for super heavy duty work but it is a sweet tool.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top