JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no requirement that I wear hunter orange and it is the individual that pulls the trigger responsibility to identify the target. When it becomes a law that I must wear hunter orange I will do so without failure but so far it is not required in Oregon. This man who shot another without identifying his target should have the book thrown at them. This was not an accident - this was incompetence.

James Ruby

the responses in this thread surprise me. A guy made a very bad split second decision and another lost his life for it. This is not premeditated murder, aggregated murder etc. It was an accident. Which does not make it right, but the comments here about death penalties, thrown in jail forever surprise me. That guy who pulled the trigger will live with this for the rest of his life - let alone will be financially ruined. What a horrible way to end his life.

Nope - I'm not soft around events like this, it simply is what it is - a horrible mistake with monumental consequences.

Actions have consequences

i have a question was the boy hunting with his grandpa did the police do a powder residua check on the boy? maybe grandpa did it and if he did what a idiot but on the other hand he could be protecting the boy

8% of the male population have some sort of color blindness. Red / Green being the most prevalent. Wearing hunter safety orange is not a sure thing.

HE HAD A WEAPON in his control and did the wrong thing.Nothing else matters,accident,no accident. You have a gun under your control

MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION. PICK YOUR TARGET WISELY.

Whether it was an accident or not is secondary,he had the gun and needed to make sure of what he was shooting at.

PERIOD.

Yes the hiker should have worn some orange.Yes he should have know or found out that it was hunting season

But the guy with the GUN should have made sure of his target
And should be prosecuted accordingly

edited for profanity ~Trlsmn

no one is questioning that he should not have shot, should of thought twice, should of should of should of. How many deaths occur each year in a motorized vehicle of some sort (boat, car, plane bus etc) that was caused by operator error. It's the same here except no gun - just a pile of metal most likely over two tons driven into an even harder object.

All I was pointing out was the mob type lynch mentality. This guy is going to pay.....dearly. I would not hang a death sentence on this guy - he has a virtual one.

Reckless? YES. Extreme indifference to human life? Not so sure.

Yes I am not too quick to condemn, after all, all we have to go on is a news media story. There may well be unreported facts out there. It could be he had the safety off while using the scope to identify the cause of movement and got a dumb finger twitch or some other off the wall happenstance.

Yes I am not too quick to condemn, after all, all we have to go on is a news media story. There may well be unreported facts out there. It could be he had the safety off while using the scope to identify the cause of movement and got a dumb finger twitch or some other off the wall happenstance.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make the case that accidents happen or convict the guy of criminally negligent homocide. If it's the latter, you hit the trifecta.

Glassing with scope - check.
Safety off - check.
Finger on trigger when doing both of the above and target not identified - check.

Any single one of those is negligence, pure and simple. Kinda like not putting your kid in a seatbelt. Thrice.

There is no requirement that I wear hunter orange and it is the individual that pulls the trigger responsibility to identify the target. When it becomes a law that I must wear hunter orange I will do so without failure but so far it is not required in Oregon. This man who shot another without identifying his target should have the book thrown at them. This was not an accident - this was incompetence.

James Ruby[/

It's a law up here and I wear orange from head to waist, especially when on public land. I have no faith for the general public to vote for their own self interests, so why the heck would I trust them to use common sense with firearms?

I have taken up Archery for next years hunt for just this reason, negligence like this give the Anti's more reason to try to get hunting outlawed and all we have to blame are idiots like this!

I wouldn't be so quick to judge until all the facts are out. Remember, the best camo pattern is a Hawaiian shirt!

I have taken up Archery for next years hunt for just this reason, negligence like this give the Anti's more reason to try to get hunting outlawed and all we have to blame are idiots like this!

Because they can background check for criminal history. They haven't found an approved process to test for stupid. So like driving, there will always be idiots out there that can legally operate those types of tools that absolutely shouldn't. And you're right, it's the visible 1% that will ruin it for the 99%.

Not likely to change hunting itself, but probably some state congressman will push for stricter punishments for hunting negligence just to appeal to their constituents.

Reckless? YES. Extreme indifference to human life? Not so sure.

Not sure?
He didn't identify his target
He was hunting there,did he make sure no one else was hunting there? Did he think (sorry,obviously not) that he was the only one that had access to that spot?
Did either he or the boy decide to WAIT UNTIL THE TARGET CLEARED THE BRUSH? Just wait 30 seconds? 2 minutes to make sure some hiker wasn't lost and walking through his area?

Seems like extreme indifference to human life to me.

Just a couple of minutes to make sure that the target was ,in fact an animal and not a human.

BUT and I have to say,but the hiker should have know he was putting himself in danger.Most everyone knows when it's hunting season.It's been hunting season in the fall for what,the last 200+ years on this continent?
It only costs $4 for a cheapo vest.Throw it on top of your back pack.
Make a flag,like a bike flag,to poke out the top of your pack so it flies above the brush

No editing for swearing this time.Just hate to have any blame taken from the guys who shoot at noise and movement.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge until all the facts are out. Remember, the best camo pattern is a Hawaiian shirt!

It is not just this one example, I have been scoped by other hunters while Glassing clear cuts...one slip of a finger of a person with "buckfever" and I could have been a memory. There are enough people that want to shoot me in my profession as a Soldier, I don't need em aiming at me on vacation too. As far as the facts go, if you can't be ABSOLUTELY positive of the target, DO NOT pull the trigger, "I thought it was a bear" is unacceptable unless the dead Marine was in a bear suit crawling around in the woods! You have to know! Hunters are not the only ones in the woods.

BUT and I have to say,but the hiker should have know he was putting himself in danger.Most everyone knows when it's hunting season.It's been hunting season in the fall for what,the last 200+ years on this continent?

The hiker is from Kalifornia, I am not sure of the hunting season there, but it may be that down there the season is over or If he doesn't come from an outdoors family, he my not even know when hunting season is. I know the situational awareness aspect should have won out, but so should have positive target identification!

no one is questioning that he should not have shot, should of thought twice, should of should of should of. How many deaths occur each year in a motorized vehicle of some sort (boat, car, plane bus etc) that was caused by operator error. It's the same here except no gun - just a pile of metal most likely over two tons driven into an even harder object.

All I was pointing out was the mob type lynch mentality. This guy is going to pay.....dearly. I would not hang a death sentence on this guy - he has a virtual one.

I believe the same rules should apply to vehicles.. negligence resulting in homicide is way under penalized these days

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top