JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

You could say the victim should have worn red or bright colors considering it is hunting season, but it really is all on the hunter. Before you pull that trigger it is your responsibility to correctly identify what you are shooting at, NEVER "assume" what you are shooting, be 100% sure.

Stuff like this gives hunting a bad name.

Honestly, this disgusts me.
It is the hunters responsibility to take a safe and humane shot AFTER identifying the target. This jacka$$ just saw movement and let the bullet fly, and killed someone as a result.

This was negligent homicide.
He deserves whatever he has coming, and more.

That's horrible! I don't understand how this happens unless someone is just shooting at movement. I've never hunted bears but hunting deer and elk the very least thing you need to do is verify if it's got antlers or not depending on whether you've got a doe/buck or cow/bull tag! I don't know if bear tags are gender specific but regardless, the silhouettte is quite a bit different between a human and a bear.

That's horrible! I don't understand how this happens unless someone is just shooting at movement. I've never hunted bears but hunting deer and elk the very least thing you need to do is verify if it's got antlers or not depending on whether you've got a doe/buck or cow/bull tag! I don't know if bear tags are gender specific but regardless, the silhouettte is quite a bit different between a human and a bear.

Not sex requirement but you need to ensure there are no cubs around. Not to mention shot placement. This dirtbag gives us sportsmen a bad name i hope he gets what he deserves... Thoughts to the hikers family.

Yeah, the guy skipped the part where he identified what he was shooting. Could have been anything big enough to make movement in the brush.

I'm guessing he gets charged with something because it was a negligent shot.

Sounds really close to a case of buck fever.

As a person who was shot at three times by an idiot deer hunter in my youth (lucky he was a lousy shot) I don't have much pity for what will happen to the shooter.

I can thank another idiot hunter for tinnitus 24/7.

WOW My son and I were hunting just on the south side of Silver Ridge Road not a 1/4 mile from there last week. The tree line on the other side of the road is the park boundry. I have hunted that area off and on for 40 years and I have never heard of a bear being taken or seen there.

That is also a totally weird place for any hiker to be since it is all POSTED private property and no where near ANY trails.

Sorry to hear about the guy who got shot but what a weird situation for there to be a hiker in a place they never should have been and a hunter shooting at something he had no idea what it was. The artical says the Hiker was walking across a field at the time he was shot. All the Fields in that area are grass fields and would only have no more then 6" tall vegitation. The trees in that area to the south of the road are so dense as to make it almost impossible to pass through them. NOT a hiking area.

My son and I walked down the tiny narrow dirt road that is right across from where the map shows this took place and we never ventured out into the trees as it was just to dense. We would have been on our hands and knees.

This is why I stay out of the woods during hunting season.

It's at least while I wear bright orange all over my person when I hunt.

I'm definitely not saying it was the victims fault, obviously the shooter is at fault here, but if you know people who act like this are in the woods during hunting season (and who doesn't know that there are full-blown idiots out there), why would you go hunting without BRIGHT orange all over you?

It's at least while I wear bright orange all over my person when I hunt.

I'm definitely not saying it was the victims fault, obviously the shooter is at fault here, but if you know people who act like this are in the woods during hunting season (and who doesn't know that there are full-blown idiots out there), why would you go hunting without BRIGHT orange all over you?

huh? the dude was hiking. Not hunting.

huh? the dude was hiking. Not hunting.

Okay, the point remains the same. Fall is hunting season in Oregon. Know the area you are in and what is going on around you. Like I said, it's not the victims fault, but it's certainly a reminder to wear bright colored clothing while in the woods, whatever you're doing (for you Chipperxd), during hunting season...

Oh I agree about announcing yourself with brigh colors. I'm just saying people usually don't wear orange vests when you go hiking. I sure as **** don't but then again, I don't hike up a mountain side during hunting season.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top