JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own two Toolcraft BCG, both Carpenter 158, but one manganese phosphate and one black nitride. I purchased the phosphate one directly from Cryptic Coatings for $110 (2014ish) and the nitride one from Arm or Ally (I believe) for $80 (IIRC around 2016ish). Both of them checked the "milspec" boxes and they both went into Aero uppers with Ballistic Advantage barrels. Never had a problem with either and would buy again.

I also have owned two BCM's (one older 2012ish with cage code in carrier) and the other came free with an upper purchased years ago during the promo. Never had an issue with them either. I can't discern a difference in quality between my BCM's and the phosphated Toolcraft, however I've never mic'ed them.

I also own a Stag that came with a complete SBR upper that I have never had any issues with either.

I have also heard Microbest is decent and an OEM supplier, I believe PKFirearms carried them for a while.

Do I think spending more money for the BCM is worth it over the Toolcraft..... I don't know, but like I stated I haven't had an issue with either.

Edited to add: My BCM carrier groups included the black o-ring, but it was not installed (came separate in the package) and I have never installed it. Both the Toolcrafts had the o-ring installed.

Last Edited:
What about PSA?
PSA BCG's are made by Toolcraft. I have one phosphate and one nitride. The phosphate one has a Carpenter 158 bolt and the nitride one is 9130. 9130 is not Mil Spec, but is a perfectly fine material for an AR bolt. Both are well made, function properly, and the rifles they are in shoot well. I inspect all parts carefully and both are properly staked, etc..

I do regular maintenance on all my bolts that includes complete disassembly and inspection. I usually upgrade the rubber "donuts" and keep a close eye on the extractors.

Don't be afraid of phosphate re cleaning. Soak in carbon killer when you clean and they are just like new.

I prefer nitride to coatings like nickle boron because it;s a surface treatment and can't flake off, which can also be a problem with chrome if not properly applied.

I'd trust my life to both in hard use. They simply work and don't let me down.

What about PSA?
Have had a few on the bench, and haven't been impressed.

Close to out of spec, soft metal cam pins and cracked bolts where the cam pin goes through. Like Chad owner of School of the American Rifle, I also keep a "Bin of Shame" for broken and out of spec parts.

When I offer my AR Armorer classes, I usually get a part or more per class to add in to it.

I have DD, Colt, and LMT bolts. Some are in same-branded carriers. A couple are in KAC carriers. several are spares.

I just stick with phosphate carriers, mostly, though I do have a DD chrome BCG sitting around.

Never had a problem with any of them. I am not inclined to buy cheap given the central importance of the BCG. My zombie apocalypse AR has an enhanced LMT bolt in Colt carrier.

I've taken to cleaning my BCGs by partially disassembling them and spraying them with electrical contact cleaner. It shortens the cleaning time dramatically. I do it outside though because the gunk and the cleaner get everywhere. And not near the flower bed! :) Then I basically "rinse" them with CLP to be sure there's no cleaner left to mess with ammo or the finish on the receiver. It's worked so far and even the little rubber donut has come through unscathed. I have a couple of cheaper ARs that I do the same to the chamber and bore, but I spare the more expensive guns and just scrub them like a normal person. :rolleyes: :D Has anyone had a bad experience using contact cleaner?

I've got a Colt BCG in a rifle that's on it's 3rd barrel...the BCG and the barrel IS the AR.

Lots of snakeoil type BCGs on the market.

I've come across name brand BCGs that wouldn't gage properly...meaning they were on the edge of being out of spec, or they were out of spec and their life expectancy is way short.

Stay away from coatings, if not done properly can again shorten the life of the BCG.

Toolcraft was mentioned above, and other makers such as Azmuth and Microbest make BCGs for a variety of name brand manufacturers, but they are only as good as the manufacturer asks them to be. In other words, named AR companies tell the BCG maker what they want, and are only as good as what they are willing to pay. So, you can have a BCG made by Toolcraft, but if you want to save money by cutting corners, the BCG turns out to be junk.

As for BCGs that are good to go; Colt, Sionics, BCM, and Sons Of Liberty Gunworks (SOLGW). Aero can be good, just need to know what exactly you're getting, as they do make inferior models.

Stay away from the coatings hype, stick with tried and true phosphate...and learn how to properly care for them. Hint, don't use carbon scrapers on the bolt tail.
Well said, you obviously understand bolt carrier..

A shameless plug!!

Colt is the best! Colt is the best!! :s0112:

Toolcraft, PSA, Brownells, Aero, most I don't know where they are made. I don't remember which rifle, the gas key screws were not staked. OK - so I checked torque and then staked them.
I tear them down, inspect and clean every now and then. I check the rear face of my lugs for wear. If the gas rings seem sloppy, replace.
I've had one bolt break, one extractor break. Informal opinion, but I think the cotter key used indicates the level of quality you are dealing with. I've seen some shït keys like the super-soft metal ones used to keep wagon wheels on the Red Flyer wagons.
As far as quality, when I built my last AR10, I was examining a known brand BCG (cannot remember name) and JP full mass bolt side by side at ORW. Both were nitrided. IMO, there was no comparison between machining and finish -- the JP was well worth the price at >$100 more than the other brand and $200 more than others I had seen. It has about 200 rounds through it now and the gun is waiting for me to tear down, inspect and clean. Will check it again after ~500.
Finish: I have nitrided (QPQ), nitrided (Tennifer style), phosphated and NiBo bolts. I prefer them in that order.
edit to add: the QPQ looks polished compared to the Tennifer style nitride finish, which looks more like a phosphate finish.

Not to be overlooked: Adams Arms
1645812719702.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews