JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BCG's...

it is very hard to disseminate all the opinions of all the people all the time so I will ask this question here:

What are some of the better BCG's? I always hear about DD, BCM, Toolcraft etc. etc. but is there any definitive data on what is a really high quality BCG that can go through hell and back?

I have been reading up on the OEM BCG producer Toolcraft and it seems pretty much the same as the big name brands but without the annoying logo on it... (obviously because they are an OEM that makes their items for said big names).

Mil-Spec Carpenter No.158 on all

BCM and DD

bcm_bcg__84838.1413406264.jpg Daniel_Defense_BCG_Phosphate-1.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not 9130 on these , (Carpenter No.158 versions only)

Toolcraft
toolcraft-bolt-carriers-glory-shot.jpg

Any input?

Whatever you decide, I'd buy an extra. Really easy to fix a BCG related issue by just putting another one in. I don't have an opinion or experience with "best" BCG - I've just stayed away from no name, questionable production and I've yet to have any issues, but I also don't go through thousands and thousands of rounds so my experience is limited in that way.

I've got a Colt BCG in a rifle that's on it's 3rd barrel...the BCG and the barrel IS the AR.

Lots of snakeoil type BCGs on the market.

I've come across name brand BCGs that wouldn't gage properly...meaning they were on the edge of being out of spec, or they were out of spec and their life expectancy is way short.

Stay away from coatings, if not done properly can again shorten the life of the BCG.

Toolcraft was mentioned above, and other makers such as Azmuth and Microbest make BCGs for a variety of name brand manufacturers, but they are only as good as the manufacturer asks them to be. In other words, named AR companies tell the BCG maker what they want, and are only as good as what they are willing to pay. So, you can have a BCG made by Toolcraft, but if you want to save money by cutting corners, the BCG turns out to be junk.

As for BCGs that are good to go; Colt, Sionics, BCM, and Sons Of Liberty Gunworks (SOLGW). Aero can be good, just need to know what exactly you're getting, as they do make inferior models.

Stay away from the coatings hype, stick with tried and true phosphate...and learn how to properly care for them. Hint, don't use carbon scrapers on the bolt tail.

I've got a Colt BCG in a rifle that's on it's 3rd barrel...the BCG and the barrel IS the AR.

Lots of snakeoil type BCGs on the market.

I've come across name brand BCGs that wouldn't gage properly...meaning they were on the edge of being out of spec, or they were out of spec and their life expectancy is way short.

Stay away from coatings, if not done properly can again shorten the life of the BCG.

Toolcraft was mentioned above, and other makers such as Azmuth and Microbest make BCGs for a variety of name brand manufacturers, but they are only as good as the manufacturer asks them to be. In other words, named AR companies tell the BCG maker what they want, and are only as good as what they are willing to pay. So, you can have a BCG made by Toolcraft, but if you want to save money by cutting corners, the BCG turns out to be junk.

As for BCGs that are good to go; Colt, Sionics, BCM, and Sons Of Liberty Gunworks (SOLGW). Aero can be good, just need to know what exactly you're getting, as they do make inferior models.

Stay away from the coatings hype, stick with tried and true phosphate...and learn how to properly care for them. Hint, don't use carbon scrapers on the bolt tail.
No Daniel Defense?

What about the Israeli brand Emtan? I found some military overage pieces ad they are a great deal $109 a piece.
Here are the specs (seems pretty standard)

DESCRIPTION
M16 Bolt Carrier Group complete
Made by Emtan, these are contract overruns from a mil. contract.
Milspec
Carpenter 158 bolt
HPT/MPI
8620 Steel Carrier
Upgraded extractor w/oring insert
Grade 8 staked fasteners

What about the Israeli brand Emtan? I found some military overage pieces ad they are a great deal $109 a piece.
Here are the specs (seems pretty standard)

DESCRIPTION
M16 Bolt Carrier Group complete
Made by Emtan, these are contract overruns from a mil. contract.
Milspec
Carpenter 158 bolt
HPT/MPI
8620 Steel Carrier
Upgraded extractor w/oring insert
Grade 8 staked fasteners
Too late!! frick! 80 gone in two hours, must have been good stuff.... :s0099:

I've been running a Radian BCG in mine for a while. Azimuth makes the BCG for them.
Mates up nicely with a Faxon barrel.
Like the rest of their stuff it's a nice piece of work.

There are other but those are the four I own and stick to.

SIONICS Np3 BCG is the only exception I've made to that rule.

I bought an Aero Precision NIB bcg for my AR10 and it really discolored after I oiled it and put it away for a few months. Other than the color, it's been great.

I checked DD BCG on their website. From the specs it looks good to go...I'd like to get one in my hot hands to gage and check it out...anyone wanna bring or forward one to me?

Those mentioned above, I've personally checked out.

I've been running a Radian BCG in mine for a while. Azimuth makes the BCG for them.
Mates up nicely with a Faxon barrel.
Like the rest of their stuff it's a nice piece of work.
Of the three Radian BCGs I've gaged, all were on the edge of being out of spec...which means their longevity is questionable at best...the same for Ballistic Advantage.

This part I've never paid much attention to, except to note (over and over) that the inner chamber is a pain in the neck to clean properly. I have no idea who made them in any of the AR's I've owned.

I've owned many AR rifles over the years, starting with SP1's in 1972. I've never changed a BCG for cause, nor wanted to change one just because. So long as it worked, it stayed. I've just kept whatever came with the rifle. And so far, the stock ones have always worked without fail for me. From memory, I've had mostly Colt rifles. Also two Aero Prec., one unknown I assembled from parts, one DPMS, one Bushmaster, and one Armalite AR10. I won't say I fire tens of thousands of rounds a year, but I fire more .223 than any other cartridge. Probably two or three thousand or more, at a guess, per year. So maybe at that rate, it doesn't even make any sense for me to upgrade a BCG.

My long time (since 1962) pal down in NM swears as to nickel boron BCG's. However, I don't know that he has any practical knowledge that they might have an advantage over the stock part. Because he very rarely shoots and never in any quantity. When you have a friendship this deep, you just play along and don't say anything.

I confess to keeping my BCG's very well-lubed with LSA. Which I've found also helps in cleaning up after shooting. This may not be wise in a dry, dusty climate like some crappy country in the middle east, but around where I live dust and sand just aren't a problem.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top