JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went shooting with my dad this last weekend and his Glock 17 had a case blow-out inside the barrel and it was extremely difficult to remove. The case blew out right near the bottom. I tried snapping pics, but my camera couldn't get it in focus that close. It wasn't a complete explosion, but the case cracked inside the barrel and we couldn't get it out. This was not a reload or anything, it was a Federal 9mm 115 gr. factory loaded brand new bullet. You can see where the case blew out inside the barrel (I think it is just powder, but I am not cleaning it yet in case somebody needs to look at it).

This is definitely not a Glock thrashing post or anything, I am just hoping to get some help in what to do moving forward. Do I need to take this in to get it looked at? Was this a freak accident and I should be ok moving forward. It is my dads gun and I told him I would help him out trying to get it fixed. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Jon

Here are a couple pics of the shell that I removed. I hope it helps. I guess I need to know if this gun is safe to continue shooting or if I need to take it in and have someone look at it or send it in. Thanks.

Jon

Post some picture of the barrel if you can. Here is pic of the symbol that will indicate the macro setting on your camera. Don't mind the sarcasm on the picture it's just a linked picture.

bottwiglab-009_full.jpg

So here is the barrel. As stated before, there doesn't appear to be any damage to the barrel. The only thing I can see appears to be powder residue inside the barrel on the bottom (where the case blew out). The gun appears to be fine.

This is frustrating. I've never seen an auto pistol with a "fully supported" chamber. Just eyeballing, the 45 ACP is the worst!

Glock did tighten up the tolerances on Gen 3 I've been told, but look at the pics in this thread here: Link

I agree with Trismn. Ask Glock first.

So here is the barrel. As stated before, there doesn't appear to be any damage to the barrel. The only thing I can see appears to be powder residue inside the barrel on the bottom (where the case blew out). The gun appears to be fine.

How may rounds fired through it before that happened?

It's my dad's gun, so it is a rough guess (he doesn't keep real accurate records), but around 1000. He has had it for about 10 years now, but he only shoots it a couple times a year.

I had a case head rupture in a Glock 19 about 16 years ago. It felt like someone had slapped the inside of my palm really hard. It didn't blow the magazine out as I have heard about but it was quite the surprise. The casing was blown out far more than yours but there was no damage. Main thing I was concerned about was a bullet being lodged in the barrel. Once I verified that there wasn't I went back to shooting. If it looks normal, cycles and chambers and extracts normal, I wouldn't worry about it as they are pretty tough guns. Glock 17's have even been fired underwater so it has to be pretty tough to survive that kind of pressure spike.

I am not a paid representative of Glock, just owned 8 of them over the years... :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top