JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are going for good looks and a slim feel to the grip I don't think you can beat the P30L/VP9. With the small side grip inserts and the small backstraps on the grip is very svelte.

I am looking for a nice handgun i can take to the range with my buddies i am stuck between these options( PPQ,M&P 2.0,VP9,P320 and the one i want most but not sure if it outbeats the rest is an hk p30l just looks really great) any let me know what you guys have shot and what you might think would be the best choice
Pull my finger.

has anyone here shot the HK P30L im really digging this handgun looks amazing just hearing bad things about the trigger
I just picked mine up yesterday. 9MM P30L V3. Haven't shot it yet but after dry firing it a bunch either I got a good one or the horrible trigger reports are exaggerated. Although I must say the first P30SK I fondled in the store did not impress me a whit.

The VP9 trigger is better. And by that I guess I mean more people will probably find it easier to shoot. But I am digging the trigger on my V3 P30L. I think this is going to be an awesome carry gun.

I just picked mine up yesterday. 9MM P30L V3. Haven't shot it yet but after dry firing it a bunch either I got a good one or the horrible trigger reports are exaggerated. Although I must say the first P30SK I fondled in the store did not impress me a whit.

The VP9 trigger is better. And by that I guess I mean more people will probably find it easier to shoot. But I am digging the trigger on my V3 P30L. I think this is going to be an awesome carry gun.
So the horrible trigger is a bit exaggerated I assume

I am looking for a nice handgun i can take to the range with my buddies i am stuck between these options( PPQ,M&P 2.0,VP9,P320 and the one i want most but not sure if it outbeats the rest is an hk p30l just looks really great) any let me know what you guys have shot and what you might think would be the best choice
Is a centerfire semi-auto handgun a must here?
I would think a "nice" gun for range shooting would be any .22 rimfire that feels good in your hands and that you can shoot competently.

No one can answer that but you unfortunately.

Go to a range and spend the money to rent and try a box of ammo thru them, you'll be glad you did.

That's the best I got.

I once thought the H&K P7 would be the perfect handgun for me, until I tried one. Recently I rented a Sig Sauer P320 Compact because it's been in the news a lot lately. From 10 yards, unsupported, I shot a ragged hole in the center of the target with the first mag load. I do pretty well with my other handguns (e.g. Kimber .45 ACP and several XD variants), but have never put a whole magazine into the bullseye without having a flyer or two (or three or four!). And it wasn't a fluke. Since the range requires shooting their ammo, I ran through a whole box, target after target, with the same result. So I think I might have found the perfect handgun FOR ME. For you, it will probably be a different one. Actually, my trigger finger was pinched a few times on reset; I'll look into one of the VTAC versions with the straight trigger, which might solve the problem, which probably has more to do with the shooter than the gun.

No one can answer that but you unfortunately.

Go to a range and spend the money to rent and try a box of ammo thru them, you'll be glad you did.

That's the best I got.
Joe13 is absolutely correct. Those are all great guns. The only person who can decide which you will like best is you. There are subtle nuances of fit and feel in the grip, trigger, perceived recoil, etc. that you can only appreciate by shooting the guns yourself. You probably wouldn't be disappointed with any of those choices, but you will only be optimally delighted with one. Try them all if you can.

I carry a Ruger LC9s and I love it. I almost forget I'm wearing it. I'm pretty accurate with it at the range too. But for a pure range gun I like my Remington 1911 R1S Enhanced. Solid, smooth as butter, and very accurate. It depends on what you are going to be doing with the pistol. For a pure range gun I'd say 1911. If you're going to also carry it then maybe the Glock.

So, you want a pretty gun with a not too wide grip...

Get a Colt Combat Commander XSE...
33B40B6C-A5C1-46BE-8C16-E80FF2125277.jpeg

If that's too large, there's always the Kimber Micro 9. Another great gun with real sights and good accuracy... DC6829A2-0809-4CF3-ADCA-8D99DAE8E56F.jpeg

If you want thin grip, good accuracy, concealability and a great price, the S&W M&P .45 Shield is another good choice...
EAEACB5E-EAB7-4DEB-AB4B-ABCA83573E57.jpeg

I once thought the H&K P7 would be the perfect handgun for me, until I tried one. Recently I rented a Sig Sauer P320 Compact because it's been in the news a lot lately. From 10 yards, unsupported, I shot a ragged hole in the center of the target with the first mag load. I do pretty well with my other handguns (e.g. Kimber .45 ACP and several XD variants), but have never put a whole magazine into the bullseye without having a flyer or two (or three or four!). And it wasn't a fluke. Since the range requires shooting their ammo, I ran through a whole box, target after target, with the same result. So I think I might have found the perfect handgun FOR ME. For you, it will probably be a different one. Actually, my trigger finger was pinched a few times on reset; I'll look into one of the VTAC versions with the straight trigger, which might solve the problem, which probably has more to do with the shooter than the gun.
Similar experience with my Sig p320, works for me!

Just my little ol' opinion....Range Gun = all metal frame, 4"+ barrel. Carry gun = Polymer frame. CZ 75 perhaps? Beretta? Grab any old gun of quality and get intimate with it. You're going to be buying more than one gun, eventually, aren't you?

You want a carry gun to practice with at range? Glock 19/23
You want a range gun? Glock 34
You want to get serious? Glock 21SF
I've owned HK, Sig, and many others but I keep coming back to Glocks. They just work great, have low bore axis for negligible recoil, and are very very accurate. My HK VP9 was not as accurate and had high bore axis; muzzle flip was marked. My Walther P99 (precursor to PPQ) was accurate but had hot spots in my hands - uncomfortable during recoil. The PPQ M2 should overcome that gripe. The long slide version would make a fine range gun. M&P is not know for accuracy but ergos are good. The Sig P226-9 are nice accurate guns but suffer muzzle flip from high bore axis and are as costly as the HK's (or more). The CZ75 is a fine gun but is going to be a lot heavier than a Glock. Ergos are excellent and they are accurate. If you just want the perfect gun, invest in a new Browning HiPower. I hold it in higher regard than my stable of high end 1911s.

Head on over to Tritac and see which (if any) of your primary choices they have available to rent.

Before you go, see which, if any of your choices have other similar makes with similar size/fit.

That'd give you a better idea on what will work for you, rather than me (whom you don't know) giving my opinion of what will work for you (whom I don't know).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top