JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Brad Pitt GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

I don't know what Sporting Systems lawyers have said. I only know what Sporting Systems said that they said.

You don't need legal credentials to read a law and see what it does and does not pertain to. We have had extensive discussions on this board about what guns qualify or don't, and no one seems to think that it is a blanket ban on all semi auto rifles.

But you if you would like me to read the statute for you and quote it at you, I can certainly do that.

Or you could read it.
That's not the point
The point is that the owner of Sporting Systems stands to lose his business, a lot of money and possibly his freedom if he follows your line of reasoning. Whereas the legal professionals, who have pled anti-gun cases before Washington courts and whom he has hired at his own expense say "Don't do it!".
But you say he should ignore them and go with your interpretation, the correctness of which is irrelevant in a legal system which ignores the basic tenet of the Second Amendment "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." and ignores the explicit instructions of the Supreme Court in its Bruen decision.
It's real easy to tell other people to risk their livelihood when you have no skin in the game. Would you be willing to cover his legal fees and fines if he were to ignore his lawyers follow your lead and it blew up in his face?

Who was telling OP to to ignore his lawyers' advice, or even talking to the OP? I did not see anyone on this thread tell him to transfer anything at all, or what to possess or not possess. At least I wasn't.

That's not the point
The point is that the owner of Sporting Systems stands to lose his business, a lot of money and possibly his freedom if he follows your line of reasoning. Whereas the legal professionals, who have pled anti-gun cases before Washington courts and whom he has hired at his own expense say "Don't do it!".
But you say he should ignore them and go with your interpretation, the correctness of which is irrelevant in a legal system which ignores the basic tenet of the Second Amendment "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." and ignores the explicit instructions of the Supreme Court in its Bruen decision.
It's real easy to tell other people to risk their livelihood when you have no skin in the game. Would you be willing to cover his legal fees and fines if he were to ignore his lawyers follow your lead and it blew up in his face?
I have to tell you that this is one of the most insane things I have ever had anyone say to me.

I didn't suggest a line of reasoning. I didn't tell anyone what to do. I stated a very basic fact.

I guess we truly live in a time when some people think it is reasonable to embrace even basic lies in preference to the simplest truths.

Sporting Systems stands a much better chance of prevailing in court if he and his lawyers understand the facts of the law. That is another simple fact.

I have to tell you that this is one of the most insane things I have ever had anyone say to me.

I didn't suggest a line of reasoning. I didn't tell anyone what to do. I stated a very basic fact.

I guess we truly live in a time when some people think it is reasonable to embrace even basic lies in preference to the simplest truths.

Sporting Systems stands a much better chance of prevailing in court if he and his lawyers understand the facts of the law. That is another simple fact.
With that reply you should consider becoming a lawyer.

OK then, IF Sporting Systems' lawyers are wrong about 1240, if their recommendation is wrong. What should SS do? OK get new lawyers and if their advice is the same? Not because they've misread anything but rather, they are are aware of how the state works. What should he do? Take your word or theirs? Do you think Ferguson, who pushed this law wouldn't like to put Sporting Systems down? And even if the stae loses the case, how much of Sporting's time and money hs been spent in the fight? What will have happened to his store and his employees while he's been fighting this. If Sporting Systems becomes a criminal case as well as a legal case what will that cost them? He is playing it safe as he can by following the very strict guidelines his attorneys have given him and hence only needs to fight one battle instead of two and that is how he'll prevail in court.
I'm not embracing lies, I'm embracing the reality of the politics in this state.

Last Edited:
Methinks a certain individual here is plant, deliberately trying to set someone up for a fall.

Remember, the loudest shouter for direct action and lawbreaking is always the FBI or ATF agent provocateur...

Well ain't that the pot calling the kettle black....

With that reply you should consider becoming a lawyer.

OK then, IF Sporting Systems' lawyers are wrong about 1240, if their recommendation is wrong. What should SS do? OK get new lawyers and if their advice is the same? Not because they've misread anything but rather, they are are aware of how the state works. What should he do? Take your word or theirs? Do you think Ferguson, who pushed this law wouldn't like to put Sporting Systems down? And even if the stae loses the case, how much of Sporting's time and money hs been spent in the fight? What will have happened to his store and his employees while he's been fighting this. If Sporting Systems becomes a criminal case as well as a legal case what will that cost them? He is playing it safe as he can by following the very strict guidelines his attorneys have given him and hence only needs to fight one battle instead of two and that is how he'll prevail in court.
I'm not embracing lies, I'm embracing the reality of the politics in this state.
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not trying to get anyone to do anything. I don't know what SS's lawyers actually told him, just that what he said on the forum is wrong.

And not wrong like an opinion, but wrong like misspelling a word. And I didn't point this out to quash SS's legal defense, but because he was telling another WA gun owner something that was not true that would effect that person.

Did you read post #169?
To be fair to @Sporting Systems, the lawyers may have been saying that the law effectively bans all semiauto rifles, because there really isn't much of anything like the 7400 in production at this time.

I wish SS and everyone else fighting the fight on our behalf the best of luck. I hope they are equipped with all the best strategies, precedents and facts to prevail. All I did was point out one of those facts, and so did several other posters. I have no idea what you think I should have done.

Something to consider here....

Yes the Remington 740 / 7400 / 742 series of rifles are legal here in Washington.
However....

What is the bigger concern here... Overtuning HB1240 ?
Or arguing over what a lawyer told someone...
Told someone , in a conversation that we ain't privy to...or know the whole , as it were , of the conversation...?

Speaking only for myself...
If I were in Sporting Systems shoes here...
I might mention that the above rifles are legal , along with some other semi auto rifles....
Or ask why they think otherwise
But I damn sure wouldn't argue it...or cause too much of a ruckus over it.
Andy

Have you noticed that in virtually all cases, you are the one that is off from everybody else?
Don't suppose you have ever noticed how often his words are taken out of context or misquoted just so people can fight with him?
Ruts can be hard to break out of, and everyone is so convinced he's a troll that they can't wait to fight with him, even if it means not actually reading what he wrote.

Case in point, go to the 80% thread and see how what he actually said about finishing an AR lower was twisted to something he didn't say, and how THAT became the argument.

Also maybe watch to see how this turns into me saying he's right about everything or post pointing out times that didn't happen as if that proves what I said was wrong . . . heck, I might even get accused of having a commie flag tacked up on the wall inside of my garage!

Don't suppose you have ever noticed how often his words are taken out of context or misquoted just so people can fight with him?
Ruts can be hard to break out of, and everyone is so convinced he's a troll that they can't wait to fight with him, even if it means not actually reading what he wrote.

Case in point, go to the 80% thread and see how what he actually said about finishing an AR lower was twisted to something he didn't say, and how THAT became the argument.

Also maybe watch to see how this turns into me saying he's right about everything or post pointing out times that didn't happen as if that proves what I said was wrong . . . heck, I might even get accused of having a commie flag tacked up on the wall inside of my garage!
I have, and he brought it upon himself.

Have you noticed that in virtually all cases, you are the one that is off from everybody else?
Except that several people, including a Mod, stepped in to say that I was right?

Yes, otherwise I am aware that there aren't a lot of people on this website that feel like I do, and even fewer that will put up with people like you to actually post.

Except that several people, including a Mod, stepped in to say that I was right?

Yes, otherwise I am aware that there aren't a lot of people on this website that feel like I do, and even fewer that will put up with people like you to actually post.
If you actually addressed counter points rather than keep spewing the same garbage, people, myself included, would actually have respect for what you have to say. Otherwise, most, if not all, consider you a troll.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top