Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hard Chroming?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by UncalledForGabe, Aug 19, 2010.

1. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

I was thinking about bead blasting a few of my guns and getting them hard chromed. What do you guys think of HC?

2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I'm not a fan of shiny guns. Now if you did black chrome... which I think is actually a black nickel coating

3. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

4. T-Steve

T-Steve Beaverton, OR New Member

Please remember - hard chroming is not the same as regular "chrome".

Hard chroming is an industrial coating that is much thicker than "chrome". It is used for heavy wear surfaces like hydraulic cylinder pistons. It does not look "smooth and shiny" like regular chrome.

If whatever you are hard chroming can take an extra 0.005-0.010" of thickness you should go for it! It looks cool too! (NOT shiny)

5. UncalledForGabe

Hence the bead blasting... I know its not going to be shiny. I think the action of a worn mini 14 can take a few thousands extra.

Cool pics, at least the ones that work :D I wonder what they charge for long guns?

6. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I know hardchrome isn't the garish finish you see on mexican taurus' in .38 super. But it's a **** of a lot shinier than parkerizing ;)

100SSPRL-11.jpg

A friend of mine had one of the marine remington 870's that was hardchromed with black furniture, something about it always deeply offended my sensibilities.

7. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Had my Glock 19 hard chromed and it looks good.
    It was done by Hardchrome Inc in Estecade only
    took a week to get it back

IMG_0049.jpg

8. UncalledForGabe

Nice!

If you dont mind me asking, what did that cost you?

9. Petes

Petes Active Member

In that link to Doubletap he quotes $59.00 for a slide and 10.00 for shipping.
    Probably not much more than that now. In the picture of the 4 glocks I wound up with one of those G-35. That HC finish is bullet proof(pun). Meaning it is tuff and very hard to scratch. I shined the sides of the slide with Mothers mag and it took a while but it was shinier that the top of the slide and looked great.
    But it is no where near the bright look as Mothers mag on Stainless.

I am thinking about doing a H&K P-30.

10. UncalledForGabe

I just talked to him about it. Its about 2 weeks out and around $130 to HC the mini. Smokin' deal for a superior finish!

11. Doubletap

Doubletap Newberg Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got in touch.. Roger is a darn fine guy.. Been doing weapons for me for about 20 years now.. You'll like it..