JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a third lower receiver that I still need to build and so how hard is to build an upper receiver? I have a mid-length gas tube and bought a BCM low profile gas block which is .750" set screw style. I know I need an upper receiver, barrel and hand guards set still. I have a few forward assist assemblies and few spare ejection doors. What else do I need?

Thank you.

I have a third lower receiver that I still need to build and so how hard is to build an upper receiver? I have a mid-length gas tube and bought a BCM low profile gas block which is .750" set screw style. I know I need an upper receiver, barrel and hand guards set still. I have a few forward assist assemblies and few spare ejection doors. What else do I need?

Thank you.
Not that difficult if you have decent tools.

You need a fixture to hold the upper.
You need a bench vice to hold the fixture.
Wrench for your particular barrel nut.
Torque wrench is best for first time builders.
Roll pin punch for forward assist and gas tube install.

The best, free AR Build videos are here :
https://www.brownells.com/guntech/how-to-build-an-ar/index.htm

Not hard at all...I just made a pretty decent build with not much prior AR knowledge or experience.

I found this video to be helpful...

Informative video. The only thing I fault him for is not wearing gloves when he is cleaning and lubricating everything. I did not wear gloves to begin with either but I buy the nitrile gloves from Costco. I have a cordless drill but no drill press so not sure if have the ability to holding my drill steady to drill a hole for securing the gas block. I guess I can do the drilling in stages for the gas block so I do not over drill the barrel.

The hardest part is correctly torquing the barrel nut. Other than that, the rest is practically Shake The Box.

I do I have a 3/8" torque wrench but need an adapter to torque my barrel down. If the adapter is 1/2" then I would need to be a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter which is really cheap.

Well then, should be easy. I have enjoyed building mine. Though, I must confess that it inspired me to rebuild my right handed alternative calibers as lefty.

There are several types of fixtures for your upper available.
Everyone has a favorite type.
This one is about the lowest cost solution that will not damage your upper if used correctly and it can be used for billet uppers.
Do not use it for barrel work in the vertical position.
NO-S.C.A.R. 223 upper RECEIVER vise block ARMORERS 4/15 barrel nut tool | eBay

Brownell's has probably the nicest clamshell but it won't work for a billet upper.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...16-upper-receiver-action-block-prod22385.aspx

The Geissele Reaction Rod is yet another solution.
Geissele Reaction Rod AR-15 Vise Block Steel - MPN: 10-169

There are several types of fixtures for your upper available.
Everyone has a favorite type.
This one is about the lowest cost solution that will not damage your upper if used correctly and it can be used for billet uppers.
Do not use it for barrel work in the vertical position.
NO-S.C.A.R. 223 upper RECEIVER vise block ARMORERS 4/15 barrel nut tool | eBay

Brownell's has probably the nicest clamshell but it won't work for a billet upper.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...16-upper-receiver-action-block-prod22385.aspx

The Geissele Reaction Rod is yet another solution.
Geissele Reaction Rod AR-15 Vise Block Steel - MPN: 10-169

I have a Brownell's vise block set already as well.

A buddy has the magpul wrench and I was a bit disappointed by it. The closed ends on it really limit the applications it can be used on. I think the wheeler wrench is better due to the open ends. I like the fact that the magpul is cast for strength, but it has its short comings. Uppers are easy. If you've done a lower, you can likely do an upper with the proper tools and tips.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top