JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty sure I'm safe with the Sweets. It was an over 20 year old bottle , had no ammonia smell to it and when left on bare mild steel for 2-3 hours it didn't affect the surface. It is listed as a copper and powder solvent. I've seen a lot of YouTube bore scope videos where there was evident microcracking/checking in the bore . I was surprised that my bore doesn't have any of this. I know..... if it ain't broke , don't fix it... but once you realize what you have, the rabbit hole is deeper than you wanted to fall into.

True story !!! Next I'll try it on my ears and see what I find....
Lol, I would likely be in the same boat. I've got barrels that I don't really clean too well until I see noticeable decline in accuracy. One you might be able to dissolve a (older) penny worth of copper out of, but it shoots amazingly.

Sweets is a high ammonia content cleaner designed to dissolve copper fouling, not carbon. That high ammonia level can damage barrels, hence the warning to not leave in the barrel more than 10 or 15 minutes (can't remember exactly and my bottle is out in the garage ... and I'm too lazy to go out and look). I would highly recommend you not do that again, because you probably have already created micro-crazing in your bore and doing it again could make it worse.

CLR and KG1 both work well but take time. With CLR it's a pain to plug the bore and find a way to securely stand the rifle upright. It can damage stock finishes too. KG1 takes a number of passes up and down the bore. If there is light carbon it works great and is fast, not so much with heavy buildup.

For heavy carbon I'd recommend JB Bore Paste and KROIL. Five minutes with this and you will have a clean, highly polished bore that is carbon free. It's also great on copper fouling if that has been allowed to build up. For light copper a 5-minute soak with Sweets is the ticket.

Hope this helps.

Ammonia itself is harmless to steel. Ammonia reacts with copper in the presence of water. Sweets would not remove copper if there was no water present. The reason it is not a great idea to let sweets sit in bore too long is the water in it will eventually cause rust.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top