JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's more than just a surface finish. I'm not sure exactly how deep, but a case colored part can be refinished if there is surface rust or scratches.

If you take a chunk of steel and heat it with a torch to a black/blue, that coloring goes down more than surface deep. This is similar with the case coloring.

It's more than just a surface finish. I'm not sure exactly how deep, but a case colored part can be refinished if there is surface rust or scratches.

If you take a chunk of steel and heat it with a torch to a black/blue, that coloring goes down more than surface deep. This is similar with the case coloring.
Case hardening looks pretty sweet on some guns but it wont help this one !
wm_11701172.jpg

Color case hardening is similar in nature to Nitride metal finishing. The variations in the finish are from the impurities in the materials used to perform the finish. Different mediums are used by different companies, however the affect is the same, colorful variations in the metals surface by different amounts of carbon absorption.

Nitrided parts are treated in a more pure medium, so the finish and level of metal penetration is more uniform. It's almost a modern day case hardening.

Color case gets it's variations from the variations in the medium, carbon being the main ingredient, the metal absorbs the carbon from the medium at high heat just like Nitriding. Manufacturers use things like ground up cow bones, charcoal, literally BBQ briquettes, and even things like cow patties.

The level of penetration varies by the heat and variations in the medium. Some areas can be harder and others softer.

Is the color throughout the steel or on the surface only? I suspect just the surface.
As others said it's just the surface. If u take care of it it will last. If u leave in the sun or always get sweaty hands on it it won't last. Here's my SxS 12 gauge made in 1913, holding up well. I have another made in 1951 and case hardening is completely gone except for under the wood.
618DD25F-77BA-47A9-9DA5-210C842E4510.jpeg
1632C9A5-5FF2-46CC-85E4-1C4BFD7E6CAD.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews