JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thumbs is all that's required. Anything more is just redonkulous!

image.jpeg

Plenty of easy transactions at Cut above pawn.

@Velzey Um, i don't know how to ask this, but, when i come round next, i'd like to have the "ghost" experience during my BGC.... :oops:

Plenty of easy transactions at Cut above pawn.

@Velzey Um, i don't know how to ask this, but, when i come round next, i'd like to have the "ghost" experience during my BGC.... :oops:
Yup, lots of transactions at A Cut Above Pawn. They always provide the thumb card, ink pad and paper for cleanup afterwards. But have never offered to help, that'd be kinda creepy, except for that cute lass that's there occasionally...

As long as the prints are reasonable, they're happy. Never rolled, always pressed.

The fingerprints don't actually go anywhere, from my understanding. The FFL is supposed to keep them for who knows how long. Most shops don't even label them and just staple them to their copy of the paperwork. Never had a shop hold my hand, but when filing for my concealed carry permit, the Sheriff's office is required to print for you, so they say. You're supposed to just kind of go limp and let them do the work. At least they moved to a digital print machine last time I renewed. No ink to clean up.

Alright, so, I attempted to do an FFL transfer tonight and encountered, for the first time, a dealer who insisted on printing my fingers for me and I thought this was quite weird. He got next to me, took hold of my entire hand, insisting it was law to do it this way and guided through the motions... I have been at this a long time now and have never worked with a dealer who didn't just hand me the ink and have have me do my own prints. When I asked them if they could reference a law code stating these regulations, they were unable to do so, gave me attitude and spoke to me like I'm an idiot for questioning them. When I told the lady that I try to stay educated on this sort of thing, her response was "Well, now you've been educated," with quite a bit of snark and tried telling me her word was the word of the ATF. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't find anything specifying the dealer must print your fingers for you while holding on to your hand. I'd appreciate it if someone could help shed some light on this.

To top it off, I didn't even get to take my pistols home yet... They bubblegummed around for long enough that they were closing and we were still waiting on my background check to clear, so they kicked me out and told me I had to come back another day. This was all after a call to the store earlier in the day, where they confirmed my arrival time would be sufficient, yet they decided they didn't want to stick around to finish the transaction. They also failed to give back my drivers license(partially my fault for not noticing until after the fact)... Hands down, some of the worst customer service I have experienced and I still have to make another trip there to pick up my firearms... Terrible!! :s0054:
Tigard Pawn 4 More is the only place that has done that to me. I don't like it, and I don't like their new policy of having to have a lock for handguns you are transferring. They will happily sell you one though. I have done a lot of transfers there in the past but not many lately. It's not worth saving $5 on the transfer fees.

The hand holding lil strange maybe he just liked you.......Never had to do that just given the paper and the ink pad, aside from initial permit app. The attitude is what would have set me off though. I would have just turned around and left if it was a regular purchase. If this was just a transfer it would be my last one with them.

How soon before the video with someone shouting "dude, are you popping wood right now"?:eek:

Back to the serious side - I'm wondering if they fear someone trying to purposely smudge the thumbprint to avoid being identified in the event they were committing a crime.

Last Edited:
Some of them want me to roll my finger, some don't.

Some allow me to fill out the paperwork while I wait for the seller to arrive, some don't.

They all seem to have different rules. They can't all be going by the same rule book.

Tigard pawn is one of the more persnickety FFLs (fingerprints just so, color copy of the seller's license - $2 if you don't have it, etc.), Cut Above much better. Fisherman's took the longest and had the most people doing things (3-4 different people involved, including going to the front cashier) and was the most expensive - I don't think they do this very often; when I bought my first Shockwave the Tigard Firsherman's said they hadn't done a transfer in six months - I wonder why? Money Market in PDX often did not have someone in who could check on whether they could order a gun or not even though they advertise it on their site.

I always prefer Cut Above for a transfer as they are easy, quick, convenient and $25, but then at least one seller said he wouldn't go there. Whatever.

The fingerprints are so you can't deny you bought the gun later when they come around to confiscate them.

Seriously, what other reason would the law require your prints be held by the FFL?:mad:
Just positive identification of the buyer. Even government issued identification can be forged, finger prints, not so much, yet... Early, pre-caffeine, thoughts...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top