JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at a couple hand guns and wanted everyone’s expert opinion. I am looking for a 9mm for specific reasons so please don’t tell me why I need a 40 cal, 375sig or 45. The guns I am looking at are the G17, Sig P229R or an all stainless gun. The features I am looking for are accessibility of parts and magazines along with maximum durability in less than desirable conditions. I do have some concerns with the aluminum and polymer frames which is why I am also looking at/for a stainless gun. Let me know what your thoughts are. In addition let’s keep this civil.
Thanks

I would say the Glock is probably your best choice. I suspect if you shoot enough to wear out a Glock you would already know what you wanted. No burn on you, because they are very reliable and durable. Go into a gun store and it seems like HALF the parts and accessories are for Glocks. I don't own a Glock so that drives me crazy. If you go into any gun store and they DON'T have everything you need, it's probably not really a gun store.:)

In my opinion I believe a Glock 17 would serve you best with what you have described as your needs. Personally I carry a Glock everyday and I would put my life on it. The ease of getting parts, magizines and being able to work on them is second to none. The Glock uses half the parts of most other brand handguns. Within Glock about 70% are interchangable between models.

I also see a lot of handguns come through where I train and when one of them breaks it is 99% "OTG" Other Than Glock.

I do own and carry other handguns as well so I am not just a strict Glock guy but they are hard to beat and they take one too.

My .02 cents

I have about 5000 rounds throuh my 229 in 40 and its holdin up fine. The229 seems to be closer in size than to a 19 than the 17, is size a concideration ?. I have owned sigs and glocks both are fine guns, I would say that it should be decided by what gun fits you best. I have sigs becauce they fit and point better than glock in my hands. The 229 comes in ss and parts are easy to get, but more pricey than glock. Sigs are pretty easy to work on too. The best thing to do is shoot both and buy what feels best to you.

Thanks for all of your replies. I have shot both and feel that they are a similar fit but the sig does feel a little better in my hand. I don't get a chance to shoot handguns as much as I would like and focus most of my shooting on trap. The purpose of this gun is for a carry piece (not necessarily CC) and I want something durable and that I could pass down to my kids if guns are still legal. I have seen the sig 229 in stainless but they sure are proud of it and want a lot of money for them. I feel that the aluminum is more with in my budget.

You are not going to "wear out" either a Glock or a Sig in your lifetime, unless you don't have anything else to do but shoot. Since none of us can do that, it comes down to personal preference. I have a couple Glocks, but several Sigs. Glocks have a different grip angle than the Sig, or the standard as set by John Browning with the 1911. Glocks do not point well for some. For me, I have to push the muzzle down to aim; it does not point naturally.... Buy what feels and works best for your hand/eye/fit and don't worry about the brand: both have been proven in the field.

if your looking at passing something down to the kids what about a hi power?
or cz75 in stainless? just thoughts.
i carry a H&K p30 and love it. as far as feel how it feels in the hand it melts there lol. but like others it's just my opinion.
i have a couple sigs and all are early guns or west german the newer ones seem to have more issues than the older ones. i'm on the sig forum and there are a ton of complaints about qc lately.
just some options;)

I am looking at a couple hand guns and wanted everyone's expert opinion. I am looking for a 9mm for specific reasons so please don't tell me why I need a 40 cal, 375sig or 45. The guns I am looking at are the G17, Sig P229R or an all stainless gun. The features I am looking for are accessibility of parts and magazines along with maximum durability in less than desirable conditions. I do have some concerns with the aluminum and polymer frames which is why I am also looking at/for a stainless gun. Let me know what your thoughts are. In addition let's keep this civil.
Thanks

bah. i swear most of these questions could be answered in a more personalized and definitive capacity if people would just take a couple of really basic and cheap pistol classes. the features you list point to a glock and in particular a glock 19, the number one civilian sold glock on the market. if you have your heart set on a 17, there's no shortage of those floating around either. The 229R in 9mm as great as a gun as it is, it is not in mass numbers as the 19 or 17.
the frame will the last thing that will ever wear out if you're worried about durability. I had a glock that was at around 20k and had no frame wear that was worth mentioning.

if you need a repair or replace parts, huck a rock randomly into the air, it'll probably land a few feet from an armorer.

steel = usually means tighter tolerances typically meaning less reliable under adverse condition b/c they require more lube and cleaning.

a glock has looser tolerances, meaning it'll function in worse conditions and still irk by. not going to win any accuracy contests but it'll be shooting whatever other stuff wont.

More food for thought --

Stainless steel does resist rust but it is not as hard as carbon steel. Parts that hammer each other or rub against one another will last longer if made of carbon steel. Not a big deal; a stainless gun is likely to outlast us all. Still, if you shoot many thousands of rounds per year, it could become a factor. Rust is not a concern with either the Glock or the Sig. Both have excellent coatings to protect against corrosion.

I like both Glocks and Sigs, but I have (reluctantly) decided that I cannot carry a Sig. In a crisis, I need simplicity. Glock is as simple to operate as a DA revolver. Sig is a traditional double action, meaning different trigger pulls in first and subsequent shots. Worse yet, from my simple-minded perspective, Sig puts the hammer-drop lever in front and the slide release in the rear, which is 180 degrees out from all other TDA pistols. If I were to decide to carry a Sig, I would have to forego carrying any other type and train exclusively with Sig. Only way I'd be confident of being able to operate it under stress.

You might want to take a look at S&W new M&P in 9mm...its polymer...but has steel rails for the slide built into the frame...so it adds a lot of strength to its design. Its low ergo angle reduces felt recoil. Their service is excellent if you ever have a problem (I haven't with two of mine).

Good luck.

Don't let anyone on a gun forum select a handgun for you, regardless of their good intentions. :) Get out to a range with a bunch of your buddies who have guns they'll let you shoot. Bring along plenty of ammo, and then step up to the plate. Run a number of rounds through each gun until you note which ones feel better than the others. At that point, spend more time with the winners and none at all with the losers, right up until the time you decide that one gun above all others best fits your hand and eye. The answer might just surprise you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top