JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend asking me to help identify couple firearms….. or at least a starting point. I'll post pics of rifle in thread.

Semi auto pistol…. Maybe smaller than 9mm
Friend thinks Japanese

Maybe help point me in the right direction… ?

IMG_3721.jpeg IMG_3720.jpeg IMG_3718.jpeg IMG_3719.jpeg

He also asked if I could get this working…. Looks like a lever missing from right side……
Stuck in half open position

I'm sure I can find something pretty quick with google but maybe NWFA is faster?

IMG_3731.jpeg IMG_3732.jpeg IMG_3730.jpeg

From the first picture the Type 38 looks like the carbine version.

The second rifle in the last 3 pictures is a Kar98. Since it's a small ring probably Kar98a or Kar98az unless there's another small ring variant. It's missing the handguard and handguard retainer ring so I'm guessing the scrubbing of the top of the receiver has to do with someone attempting to add a scope mount but a quick google suggests Spain also scrubbed some markings on theirs.

He also asked if I could get this working…. Looks like a lever missing from right side……

I'm sure I can find something pretty quick with google but maybe NWFA is faster?

View attachment 1418762 View attachment 1418763 View attachment 1418764
The hammer 'looks' like it's cocked to 1 side in pic 2. Yes? no?
Here's a pic of the original right side. I'm guessing it's tied to the screw on the left side that holds the slide back but..?
Try Jack First in Rapid City, SD or Numrich Gun parts. They have a TON of stuff..

Dan

1683517248529.png

View attachment 1418762 View attachment 1418763 View attachment 1418764

That is a HD Military with a broken bolt stop lever. If you take those grips off you should be able to fenagle that left side plate off that sits over the connector . Pull the connector bar off and you should be able to drift that broken bolt stop lever out left to right and then the bolt stop should fall down far enough to allow you to pull the slide back off. The bolt stop lever will of course need to be replaced as well as the bolt stop itself because whoever broke the bolt stop lever likely did it because the bolt stop wouldn't go down all the way because it was wallowed out. When things dont work. Force them. It always works.

That is a HD Military with a broken bolt stop lever. If you take those grips off you should be able to fenagle that left side plate off that sits over the connector . Pull the connector bar off and you should be able to drift that broken bolt stop lever out left to right and then the bolt stop should fall down far enough to allow you to pull the slide back off. The bolt stop lever will of course need to be replaced as well as the bolt stop itself because whoever broke the bolt stop lever likely did it because the bolt stop wouldn't go down all the way because it was wallowed out. When things dont work. Force them. It always works.
With all due respect to this analysis (which could be correct), This HD exhibits the classic, chronic symptoms of having been attempted to disassemble without knowing the proper procedure (not the gun's fault: its the operator).

If you asked me how I know this, I would only answer "by experience".

In the takedown procedure (in order to remove the slide), the recoil spring retainer button (top of the slide) is pressed down to retain the recoil spring while compressed, then the TAKEDOWN LEVER (the one broken off on the right side) is pressed down to allow removal of the entire slide assembly (complete with spring retained).

If the recoil spring is not retained, and the takedown lever is actuated, the pistol will be stuck in the pictured position, and the "natural" thing for naked apes to do is contained in @wired's last three sentences; and with enough of this refined technique, the takedown lever will break off..

In my "experience", a trip to the gunsmith might be necessary, and the takedown lever repaired/replaced. The gun is worth it.

The slide stop breakage (as @wired describes) is also a not uncommon malady with these guns, and normally occurs if the recoil spring is weakened through hard use and/or repeated use of high-velocity ammo. That part can be made, and constructed of a stronger material when such is done. Again: the gun is worth it.

As a historical note, an HD Military rests in a display case in the Kremlin as an example of "The United States' armed attack on the Russian people", as it was found in the possession of Francis Gary Powers when his U2 spy plane was shot down and he was taken prisoner (a survival weapon, no doubt).

Edited to add: The Arisaka carbine exhibits the "Chrysanthemum" stamp on the receiver top, and as is characteristic, it has been defaced ("O" symbols stamped over it). Great debate exists as to the reasons for this (some accounts say MacArthur mandated it). Many were actually ground off, and it is unusual to find one not defaced on this side of the Pacific.

Last Edited:
With all due respect to this analysis (which could be correct), This HD exhibits the classic, chronic symptoms of having been attempted to disassemble without knowing the proper procedure (not the gun's fault: its the operator).

In the takedown procedure (in order to remove the slide), the recoil spring retainer button (top of the slide) is pressed down to retain the recoil spring while compressed, then the TAKEDOWN LEVER (the one broken off on the right side) is pressed down to allow removal of the entire slide assembly (complete with spring retained).

If the recoil spring is not retained, and the takedown lever is actuated, the pistol will be stuck in the pictured position, and the "natural" thing for naked apes to do is contained in @wired's last three sentences; and with enough of this refined technique, the takedown lever will break off..

In my "experience", a trip to the gunsmith might be necessary, and the takedown lever repaired/replaced. The gun is worth it.

The slide stop breakage (as @wired describes) is also a not uncommon malady with these guns, and normally occurs if the recoil spring is weakened through hard use and/or repeated use of high-velocity ammo. That part can be made, and constructed of a stronger material when such is done. Again: the gun is worth it.

As a historical note, an HD Military rests in a display case in the Kremlin as an example of "The United States' armed attack on the Russian people", as it was found in the possession of Francis Gary Powers when his U2 spy plane was shot down and he was taken prisoner (a survival weapon, no doubt).
Yeah it's not in the Kremlin. It's in Yekaterinburg. What happens with those things is the bolt stop gets wallowed out where the lever goes through and subsequently no matter if you follow the proper takedown procedures the stop cannot rotate down far enough to clear the slide/bolt and invariably somebody gets out the pliars. The side plate comes off and as it retains the bolt stop lever it can drift out. Once it comes out you can shake the bolt stop out of position and get the slide off. As noted you'll have to replace both parts and retract the bolt spring prior to reassembly. That gun has a lot of miles on it, and would be a great candidate for an HDMS conversion. Just saying.

Yeah it's not in the Kremlin. It's in Yekaterinburg. What happens with those things is the bolt stop gets wallowed out where the lever goes through and subsequently no matter if you follow the proper takedown procedures the stop cannot rotate down far enough to clear the slide/bolt and invariably somebody gets out the pliars. The side plate comes off and as it retains the bolt stop lever it can drift out. Once it comes out you can shake the bolt stop out of position and get the slide off. As noted you'll have to replace both parts and retract the bolt spring prior to reassembly. That gun has a lot of miles on it, and would be a great candidate for an HDMS conversion. Just saying.
Yeah….. got it this far. I was gonna ask if there was enough room below to drop enough out of place because the stop seems to be sitting stable with pin removed. Came out easily actually…. Didn't have to really "drift" it just pulled out once I had left side disassembled.

I can see the flat inside but didn't move it and replaced pin for now….. to check the webs and back in here. Sure enough another couple comments.

So if there's enough room for it to jostle down and out of the way enough…. Then I'll try.

Worst case scenario I found on one YouTube video…… they mentioned cutting off top of slide to pull out/up stop….. then welding and finishing top of slide. That's a step I wouldn't approach until after taking to a smith somewhere.

But for now it's basically my pistol outside a 4473…. Free reign. I don't think my buddy would take a dollar for it now if I offered it. He had written it off a long time ago.

That stop is probably caught up in recoil spring. I can get the spring to walk back forward and holding for a minute while working through the back left underside of slide next to hammer….. if I make some tool long enough to get another 3/8-1/2" in there; I bet I can capture it under spring hood button on top.

But I think it's beyond that procedure because stop is probably broken "up" in position

IMG_3735.jpeg IMG_3734.jpeg

Edited to add: The Arisaka carbine exhibits the "Chrysanthemum" stamp on the receiver top, and as is characteristic, it has been defaced ("O" symbols stamped over it). Great debate exists as to the reasons for this (some accounts say MacArthur mandated it). Many were actually ground off, and it is unusual to find one not defaced on this side of the Pacific.
Thank you thank you…. This is the place to be…… I knew it.

I'm gonna tinker a little more…. If I can get the slide off without damaging anything (more than what's done) I can replace parts. Someone actually referred a parts shop here looks like they have them. "Jack first"?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top