JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Baofeng radio. I have the cable. I have the computer. I have the software. I have 27 repeaters, in western Wash. already programmed in to the software and the radio. I could do the programming for the OP. Just have to figure out how to hand off the radio. I'm near Tacoma.

Generally the best thing to do is export the Chirp file to a CSV, then send that over, import it into chirp, and then write to the radio. I've had pretty mixed results trying to write configs from different radios to one another, Chirp will usually warn, or outright refuse to write to a radio if it has a different firmware revision.

***UPDATED*** 5/6/2014 (See NW Ham Club Links at the end)
***UPDATED*** 5/7/2014 (Added Washington HAM Clubs)
***UPDATED*** 10/24/2014 (Added Software Defined Radio info)
***UPDATED*** 11/14/2014 (Added SHTF Frequency Listing)

Ok, I've compiled some of the information that I have researched over the last year for communications and I'll share what I've found. (Mostly links, maybe some suggestions.)

A huge challenge in learning this stuff is "What do I search for???"
Please check the end of this document for KEY Phrases you might want to look at.

DISCLAIMER: If you TRANSMIT on frequencies reserved for HAM radio without a license you will be considered a "Pirate" (Whether we agree with this or not). This is against FCC regulations and they can find you, fine you and take all your electronic gizmos.

please add Clark Co amateur radio club to your list. thank you
www.w7aia.org

The #1 rule when it comes to using any radio is health and safety. License or not, if you're on any frequency and trying to facilitate a rescue, make someone aware of a looming hazard, etc. You have priority.

As for piracy:

A few years ago I was driving up the road, listening to one of the local repeaters, and someone popped on trying to get someone to call highway patrol about a big truck accident further up the 5, they were in their dad's car, didn't have a license or a cell phone. Some D-bag started giving the "whut no license" talk, until someone else shut them down. Police were called, etc etc. So yea, when someone has an emergency, don't be a jerk about it.

Just to mention in this thread, for anyone wanting to try SDR there is this site:
Skywave Linux

You can load this on a DVD or flash drive, then boot your computer with it plugged in. On booting it will ask if you want to try it or install it. I'd not advise installing it; your Windows installation may be compromised. But just trying it (running off the DVD or flash drive - the DVD will be pretty slow) will leave your hard drive alone. It has two main radio applications, gqrx and cubicsdr. I managed to get both of them running with my SDRPlay device although it took a bit of fiddling (you do have to select your device manually - the automatic selection didn't work for me). There are other SDR applications on there too that I don't have any experience in.

Lots of good info there, just this question, if you have a tech license but don't have one of the more advance license for transmitting on the meters that are considered shortwave, can you still transmit on those frequencies in an emergency SHTF type situation?

One other question or three, as far as GMRS does FCC find and fine as often as they do Shortwave or HF or VHF Pirates? If you have a VHF radio like a Baoefeng, how likely is it that you will be able to use it beyond point to point in a grid down event? Will the repeater most likely be affected?

@Ammunation I don't think anyone can predict FCC actions. It is best to strive to operate legally, and for HF stuff you'll probably learn more in the process too.

Repeaters. You should assume that any repeater may not be available after a SHTF. Was the repeater damaged in a major quake? How will the repeater continue to be powered after the SHTF, and for how long?...

Get more out of your Baofeng radios; uses these to make a field expedient antenna (straight wire, 292, etc). I get them from showmecables.com. Numbers 1588 and 685.

SMA Female to BNC Female.png

BNC Male to antenna adapter.png

One portable antenna option for a mobile GMRS radio is a roll up J-pole. An advantage to a roll up J pole is it does not require a ground plane [as a magnetic mount-style does] so it works well as part of a portable base station set up. It can be hoisted in the air on a mast or via a line thrown over a tree limb and pulled up.

However, a mag mount style, or other style designed to be used on a moving vehicle, is needed when you are on the move in a car or truck.

I have one from the vendor below in both 2m/70cm and GMRS/MURS. Both are well made and solid products. The ham version works really well. I have yet to try the GMRS/MURS version.

Amateur radio antennas

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR