JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted to suggest to those new to Ham radio that they might consider using BNC connectors on their handheld radios. Here's one example.

You'll need to know if your radio's antenna connection is SMA male or SMA female. You'll need one connector for attachment to the radio and one for the antenna (or an antenna that is built with a BNC connector) included.

The advantage to using BNC connectors for your antennas is that you can more quickly and safely change out your antenna than if you use the (usually) stock SMA threaded connection (there is the risk of 'stripping' the threads each time you screw/unscrew the SMA connector). BNC connectors are a "bayonet" style, you press and turn rather than screw on a threaded antenna. No threads to damage.

I have adapted all of my handheld radios to use BNC connectors and have been using them successfully for almost a decade. I can quickly swap 15" antennas from one radio to another, including my magnetic mount antenna.

I thought this article had a few interesting ideas.

COMMS 'Shopping List' Listed by Priority | AMRRON

I thought this was a pretty good recommended list, short, simple, affordable, and practical. They stress the point is to get on the air so you can practice and learn.

Personally, I'd recommend the Baofeng UV 82 over the UV 5R. The price is nearly the same, the UV 82 has a scan feature (which I think the UV 5R does not), and the keypad is larger making it easier to program sans PC cable.

Miklor Radio Information Site - Miklor is a very useful site for Baofeng and similar Chinese-made radios.

Last Edited:
"This link appears to bring up a women's jewelry site. Is there may be a different site? No biggie, I'm just kind of curious about the Baofeng rigs for backup equipment."

Thanks, CountryGent, for letting me know.....i've corrected link.

Radio Shack, 13.8VDC power supply with 19W of output.

If you want/need a power supply, run into your local Radio Shack and soon. You might find this unit at a 50% discount.

A local Ham club sent an email out about this deal. The Radio Shack near me had 10, a guy bought four, I bought one, and the remaining 5 were gone within 24 hours.

Purchased my first Baofeng radio, second one is on the way. Added the car power battery replacement and some other goodies such as a longer antenna that the name escapes me.

Getting some pointers from @tarster, sometimes reading on the net only helps so much. I'll be doing a lot of listening as I work towards getting the license and going for it.

Not using it as a prepper item right now, more of curiosity and entertainment factor coupled with learning something new.

Purchased my first Baofeng radio, second one is on the way. Added the car power battery replacement and some other goodies such as a longer antenna that the name escapes me.

Getting some pointers from @tarster, sometimes reading on the net only helps so much. I'll be doing a lot of listening as I work towards getting the license and going for it.

Not using it as a prepper item right now, more of curiosity and entertainment factor coupled with learning something new.

Once I have a bit more time my HAM license is definitely on the list.

I've had quite a few Baofengs and still have one. I usually use my Yaesu HT for truly mobile work. I have a Yaesu FT-2900R in the garage with a 20 amp PS and a mag mount antenna on a huge cookie sheet atop my storage shelves.

At work I have an Icom 2300H powered by a TenTec 11 amp supply, with another mag mount antenna on top of a filing cabinet.

I've had quite a few Baofengs and still have one. I usually use my Yaesu HT for truly mobile work. I have a Yaesu FT-2900R in the garage with a 20 amp PS and a mag mount antenna on a huge cookie sheet atop my storage shelves.

At work I have an Icom 2300H powered by a TenTec 11 amp supply, with another mag mount antenna on top of a filing cabinet.

I too did the cookie sheet trick with my Yaesu FT-8900R setup

Once I have a bit more time my HAM license is definitely on the list.

Joe - give HamTestOnline.com a try. You would be surprised at how quickly and easily you can be prepared for your test. It isn't free, but it isn't expensive, either. Getting ready take mine in a few weeks.

Joe - give HamTestOnline.com a try. You would be surprised at how quickly and easily you can be prepared for your test. It isn't free, but it isn't expensive, either. Getting ready take mine in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top