JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody available this morning for a radio check for a first communication on HAM new license....

From here:
<broken link removed>

Clackamas amateur radio repeaters
8 repeaters found at or near Clackamas.

= On-Air red_dot.png = Off-Air yellow_dot.png = Testing white_dot.png = Unknown

Frequency Tone Location County Call Use antennaWeb.gif
29.6800- 162.2 Clackamas, Mount Scott Clackamas KR7IS OPEN
146.8000- 107.2 Clackamas Clackamas KJ7IY OPEN
146.9400- CSQ Clackamas, Mount Scott Clackamas W7LT OPEN
147.2800+ 167.9 Clackamas, Mt Scott Clackamas WB7QIW OPEN
440.3000+ 167.9 Clackamas, Mt Scott Clackamas KC7MZM OPEN
443.1500+ 107.2 Clackamas, Mt Scott Multnomah KJ7IY OPEN
443.4750+ 167.9 Clackamas, Mt Scott Clackamas WB7QIW OPEN
1291.0000- 107.2 Clackamas Clackamas KB7WUK OPEN green_dot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone considering using Amateur Radio and repeaters should purchase a ARRL Repeater Directory. They are produced just about every year with the latest info. Included within are the frequency offsets, CTCSS tones, etc,,,,,; everything needed to monitor and or transmit on amateur repeaters.

Foreverlost,

Anyone considering using Amateur Radio and repeaters should purchase a ARRL Repeater Directory. They are produced just about every year with the latest info. Included within are the frequency offsets, CTCSS tones, etc,,,,,; everything needed to monitor and or transmit on amateur repeaters.

Foreverlost,

I haven't purchased the ARRL Repeater Directory yet, but I do intend to.

I've found the information on Repeaterbook.com to be pretty up to date, and can have the most recent data as it's updated online. (Whereas when our local repeater went from No CTCSS tone to PL105 tone last year, the ARRL directory would be outdated once that happened.

I also bought RFinder for my iPhone (And downloaded Repeaterbook) for free.

Those can use your phones built-in GPS and give you a list of repeaters within 20 or so (User definable) miles of your current location. Great for getting connected to repeaters while traveling.

I have a bunch of repeaters programmed into my radio already given to me by another ham. I was hoping to be more discreet and pick a private channel Adam still not sure if I have privileges on all of the repeaters loaded.. and I'm a bit Radio shy yet....

Will one of the Baofeng radios work at all without programming? Could frequencies just be manually punched in? Or can they scan?

Yes, the radios come with a little manual that shows how to enter frequencies, offsets and CTCSS codes and store them. It also covers scanning mode.

I'll post some updates on the main thread to cover scanning though. I've spent some time in that area and have some new insights to share.

And until I have a license, it's ok to solely listen, not transmit, correct?

Yep! I did that for about 6 months before I took my test. I was even listening in on a "Net" where they were having people check in, and gave a phone number or you could check in over the radio. I called the number and let them know I was monitoring but couldn't transmit. They said "Hi and Welcome and Good luck on the test!" over the net. :)

The Cascadia Rising exercise is under way. There should be lots of radio traffic today (6/8). A good opportunity to test radio gear, scanners, SW receivers, etc.. Also, a good time to review your personal commo plan for SHTF.

I recently moved to the area from out of state.
I was in a ham club while there and have Joined OTVARC up here.
I have a Baofeng UV5R currently and a UV82L on the way arriving wednesday.

My UV5R still has my old repeater data from out of state in it. It has been almost a year since I programmed the image file. Does anyone local to Tigard/Portland area Have a UV5R CHIRP Image with all the local repeaters already listed that they would be willing to share?

Great Info in this thread!
Till anon,
-DP
AKA Michael
KK6YUR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR