JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Joe - give HamTestOnline.com a try. You would be surprised at how quickly and easily you can be prepared for your test. It isn't free, but it isn't expensive, either. Getting ready take mine in a few weeks.

Passed all three tests on Sunday. By watching the VE's grade my exams I had about a half dozen wrong answers total. That's not because I'm so smart, but because HTO does such a good job of automatically adjusting to my learning progress. You can take a free test drive of any of the courses (HamTestOnline™ - Try it) and you can use their practice tests for free as well.

Costs are less than if you buy the latest study guides. I wound up with an older ARRL Handbook and Antenna book given to me by a friend - the technology is still good enough for later reference. You could probably get books a few years old like I did for free or cheap used. It's all on line anyway. If you want to save some money, get your General and then become an active VE and they will give you the Extra course for free. HamTestOnline™ - Free Extra Course for Active Volunteer Examiners

I've attached my HTO learning progess to show how quickly it ramps you up. Also note that this started with a 450 day break. I only spent a few hours before that after another break that really made it closer to a two year study break.

As you can see I retained enough knowledge from then to very quickly get up to speed with the Technician course before starting in earnest on the General and then the Extra. Towards the end I adjusted practice exams to focus on my weak areas and also the training portion by setting my courses to only work on the specific areas I was weakest in.
upload_2017-9-8_11-3-24.png

Legend:
light green = study time, and pink = time spend in practice tests
Yellow = portion of materials not shown, red = weak areas, blue = areas that need review, and green = areas you are well versed in.

If you pass your tech test take youyr general right then.You'll find that a lot of the questions are still about rules/regulations and freq allocations with a little electronics thrown in.:):):)

Sorry I'm posting a little late to this thread, but I'd recommend the No-Nonsense Guides: No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

I coupled this with an Android study app and my routine consisted of 15 to 20 minutes of reading the guide followed by taking one of the tests from the app culled from the actual test questions. After about a week and a half I took the test and only missed a couple of questions.

I started with the basic HT Baofeng if I would stick with it, then bought a second Baofeng and adapters to use it in my car with a cheap trunk-mount antenna. I then got a car mobile Baofeng followed by a Yaesu 857-D. I did my first satellite work and I've gone off the deep end. I still have my technician license but studying for my General when life stops intruding on the fun.

Please PM me if I can answer any questions. I'm happy to help.

Two apps for one's smartphone:
- RepeaterBook. Repeaters close to you based on your current location.
- eNIFOG (from DHS). Field Operations Guide, including emergency frequencies.

Search for both on your smartphone store.

This is a site a friend turned me on too that you can hear a lot of traffic on. He worked a station in South Africa from the Terrebonne area last night, and I heard him and the South Africa station.

<broken link removed>

I'm so screwed now a guy at work who's dad is in really bad shape asked me if I wanted his dads Uniden President HR-2510 Export (10 meter) that has been converted to CB (yes I know illegal). I already have a really good Cobra 29 side mike for my Willys Jeep and got to thinking adding a 10 meter Ham radio to the Willys since I have the room (going to build a special locking console to hold the radios and a Stereo between the seats) I have some basic electronics knowledge a son who was a 3) specialty Electronics tech for 10 years in the US NAVY and all the "modification" manuals on line. So putting it back to 10 meter should not be an issue.

Guess once the Willys is done I'll have something to keep me busy for a while getting my license and learning how to play with 10 meter. I already use a CB all day long at work (I drive dump truck) so that shouldn't be a problem.

When I get closer I'll be asking for help LOTS OF HELP

I'm so screwed now a guy at work who's dad is in really bad shape asked me if I wanted his dads Uniden President HR-2510 Export (10 meter) that has been converted to CB (yes I know illegal). I already have a really good Cobra 29 side mike for my Willys Jeep and got to thinking adding a 10 meter Ham radio to the Willys since I have the room (going to build a special locking console to hold the radios and a Stereo between the seats) I have some basic electronics knowledge a son who was a 3) specialty Electronics tech for 10 years in the US NAVY and all the "modification" manuals on line. So putting it back to 10 meter should not be an issue.

Guess once the Willys is done I'll have something to keep me busy for a while getting my license and learning how to play with 10 meter. I already use a CB all day long at work (I drive dump truck) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like a good plan and a fun project. If that radio is capable of transmitting 10 meters you will need a General or higher license if you want to do more than listen. Keep us posted - you going silver face Pioneer for the Stereo? Just kidding - I've seen you on AK and you have some really great gear!

Sounds like a good plan and a fun project. If that radio is capable of transmitting 10 meters you will need a General or higher license if you want to do more than listen. Keep us posted - you going silver face Pioneer for the Stereo? Just kidding - I've seen you on AK and you have some really great gear!

Are you sure that it won't work on both 10/11 meters with out changing any thing. I have a RCI and it works from 26 mhz to top of 10 meter bando_Oo_O

U.S. Military Surplus Grounding Rod, Copper, New - 696870, Hand Tools at Sportsman's Guide

Six foot mil-surp copper grounding rod $18-$20.

Description is wrong. Diameter is 9/16" (which is good as std is 5/8"). Has a sliding weight at top end for driving it into the ground and for removing it. Not sure yet whether it is solid copper, but that is okay.

From my googling, apparently these were used as grounding rods for mobile fueling stations, not for comms, but they should work fine for comms, and the sliding weight for driving it into the ground is a nice feature, making it easy to install and remove without tools.

FWIW

Technician license allows you to transmit between 28.000-28.500mhz on 10 Meter. It's slim, but it works. :)

I just picked up the Yaesu Ft-70DR. Seems like a good little HT. I'm going to upgrade my base station as well with a digital ready Yaesu.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top