JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This has been a 'bone of contention' for a long time with the HAM radio 'community'.

Lots of agencies and organizations have been suggesting/requesting the FCC look at the band plan and potentially reallocate certain frequencies for commercial, unlicensed uses.

Problem for hams is that there are so few of us still alive and active. The Internet accelerated what was already a long decline of the hobby. That was why the radio manufacturers and ARRL were so keen to dumb down the tests and eliminate the Morse code requirement. It's harder and harder for Congress and FCC to justify retaining so much bandwidth for strictly amateur use.
-

Problem for hams is that there are so few of us still alive and active.
No doubt true but there is an 'uptick' (albeit small) in the interest in HAM radio and licenses are slowly increasing.

In my area I see (hear) licensees increasing regularly however a large % of them are utilizing the 2 meter frequencies, and will probably never venture into any others at a 'General' or 'Extra' level.

Interestingly though since I did recently upgrade to General, and have been dabbling with HF, I am surprised at the amount of activity I hear on many of the bands, especially 10 and 80 meters and routinely make contact with many people all over the US, and a few in other countries although I am hindered somewhat with just a 140' dipole antenna (made out of 75 ohm TV coax!) but at times it works surprisingly well.

Last Edited:
Cleaning out some storage. Anyone interested in my old commercial Mini-Quad array from the 1980s? Free for the taking. (Stock photo, mine's disassembled.)

Mini-Quad.jpg
-

I already broke the TLDR barrier today so I'll just say I've been doing this for decades and if needed I can help.
Western Wa , Kent, near lake Meridian.

Amateur Extra and VE for the Laurel and the A.R.R.L.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews