JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try programming the KGW repeater in Portland and see if you can hit it.

That is if you have 70 CM on your radio.
KGW tower has both 2m and 70cm on it. I thought 2m would be better for distance over 70 cm which does better in an urban environment, but I could be wrong. Goldendale to KGW tower does seem like it's going to be a long shot on VHF/UHF.

I tried every 2m repeater on the list, can't hit any of them. I tried a few 70cm repeaters on the list, but UHF doesn't have the distance that 2m can reach.

Portland sits in a hole, but can hit the repeaters on the west hills, and the VA Hospital.

Can hit the repeater on Mt Bachelor which is about 120 miles. I can hit repeaters north to Wenatchee, East to LaGrande, Southwest into Corvallis.

I sit at about 2,300 with no obstructions...can see miles in every direction.

Elevation of the repeater is key...along with obstructions in between.

I tried every 2m repeater on the list, can't hit any of them. I tried a few 70cm repeaters on the list, but UHF doesn't have the distance that 2m can reach.

Portland sits in a hole, but can hit the repeaters on the west hills, and the VA Hospital.

Can hit the repeater on Mt Bachelor which is about 120 miles. I can hit repeaters north to Wenatchee, East to LaGrande, Southwest into Corvallis.

I sit at about 2,300 with no obstructions...can see miles in every direction.

Elevation of the repeater is key...along with obstructions in between.
That is good to know you can reach out that far. What are you using for an antenna? I am pretty much on the crest of a hill but only up at 1000 feet. Running a diamond X510 for a vhf/uhf antenna currently about 18 feet up in the air. I have yet to play around with a yagi to see how much benefit I can get from a directional antenna.

That is good to know you can reach out that far. What are you using for an antenna? I am pretty much on the crest of a hill but only up at 1000 feet. Running a diamond X510 for a vhf/uhf antenna currently about 18 feet up in the air. I have yet to play around with a yagi to see how much benefit I can get from a directional antenna.
Using the same antenna...Diamond X510, fed with LMR-400. It's mounted up the side of the house at about 35 feet.

Using a Kenwood TMV-71 dual band witha max output of 50 watts.

I've got a 200 watt amp, but not hooked up yet.

Am pondering a beam, but haven't decided on one yet. With the X510 having such high gain specs, the yagi would need to have at or a bit higher to make it worth the effort. But with all the power directed in one direction, am figuring I'll be able to get more range.

I have an Arrow Yagi I used to use for satellite work. It works really well. Been awhile since I worked a satellite though.

Great Bunch of information here......thank you to all who have contributed. Am working on communications plan for SHTF and think I just hit the motherload!!

Just gotta do a little tuning, then I'm good to go.
1708641657880.png

On Inverters

Inverters?? Several issues come to mind. Backing away and getting our nose away from tree bark and looking at the entire forest, the conversion from DC to AC or vice a versa uses electrical power and does nothing in the way of powering a radio............wasted energy! Then, inverters are well known for producing RFI. This noise will cover the weak signals you might want to hear. The entire topic of SHTF radio should start with planning electrical power "FIRST"!
In the gray matter between the ears, what equipment is used in the station? Next, how much power is required and time usage? Do the math......watt hours needed. Use all battery powered radio equipment running on the same voltage......around 13.8VDC. (no need for inverter) Build the backup power source first! Solar is a good choice, pricey but the sun most likely will rise on the eastern horizon. Got a few extra $$'s left? BuddiPole makes a PowerPlus, auto change from grid to backup power, nice. A must, Thornwave Labs produces a real neat device the size of a small box of wooden matches, PowerMon. This little jewel calculates SoC, state of charge. Running a real SHTF station requires knowning when to stop. Lead acid (AGM, flooded cell, gel cell) stop at 50% SoC or damage the battery. LiFePO4 batteries can be used to 20% SoC before damage.

The above link: Julian OH8STN covers about everything. Sort of one stop info for SHTF, Preppers, QRP, solar, batteries, radios, it is here.......
YMMV

Foreverlost,

Inverters?? Several issues come to mind. Backing away and getting our nose away from tree bark and looking at the entire forest, the conversion from DC to AC or vice a versa uses electrical power and does nothing in the way of powering a radio............wasted energy! Then, inverters are well known for producing RFI. This noise will cover the weak signals you might want to hear. The entire topic of SHTF radio should start with planning electrical power "FIRST"!
In the gray matter between the ears, what equipment is used in the station? Next, how much power is required and time usage? Do the math......watt hours needed. Use all battery powered radio equipment running on the same voltage......around 13.8VDC. (no need for inverter) Build the backup power source first! Solar is a good choice, pricey but the sun most likely will rise on the eastern horizon. Got a few extra $$'s left? BuddiPole makes a PowerPlus, auto change from grid to backup power, nice. A must, Thornwave Labs produces a real neat device the size of a small box of wooden matches, PowerMon. This little jewel calculates SoC, state of charge. Running a real SHTF station requires knowning when to stop. Lead acid (AGM, flooded cell, gel cell) stop at 50% SoC or damage the battery. LiFePO4 batteries can be used to 20% SoC before damage.

The above link: Julian OH8STN covers about everything. Sort of one stop info for SHTF, Preppers, QRP, solar, batteries, radios, it is here.......
YMMV

Foreverlost,
Long-time youtube watcher/subscriber of Julian. He's the real deal.

Grab the open source CHIRP software for programming it.
While there is a 'convenience' to programming the Baofeng with the CHIRP software, it can be confusing as it adds lots of frequencies you may never use.

It's not too hard to manually program the Baofeng and once you get it down you can add and remove frequencies very easily.

This works for me anyway and I don't have a lot of 'clutter' on my HTs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top