JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
An update on the Smiley antenna on a Baofeng.

When not extended, the Smiley antenna is 8 1/4" long. There is a slight amount of flexibility just above the mount point, but better to treat it as rigid when screwed in to the handheld transceiver (HT).

When extended, the Smiley antenna is 2' 11" long. If you had the inexpensive walkie talkies with the extendable antennas as a kid, this antenna is the same idea.

Performance is actually pretty good when fully extended. I was easily hitting both GMRS and 2M repeaters 15+ miles away. I'd say performance of the Smiley antenna is better than the 14" whip antenna (NA-771?) that I normally have on the Baofeng.

Good to hear you are getting good results with this antenna!

Have you checked the SWR on it? I am sure it is good due to the performance you describe but it would be interesting to know the match.

Yea, kinda 'scrounging' around for one myself.

Hoping one finds its way to me via all the good luck I have had since starting out last year!

I was recently given an older, but very nice Radio Shack (Icom made) 2 meter mobile radio which is now my 'base radio' and I will be getting an Icom 2 meter base unit soon in trade for helping a guy with some electrical work in his shop!

What sucks is I have two SWR meters - but they are for 'Chicken Band' and not HF/VHF...

Article on J-Pole antennas. The article also references a seller on eBay.

https://survivalblog.com/2022/04/09/j-pole-vhf-uhf-antennas-tunnel-rabbit/

A comment is below from the seller on eBay. I did note that the Slim Jim offers higher gain than the J-Pole.

When would I choose a Slim Jim compared to a J-Pole antenna

Both the Slim Jim and J-Pole are great antennas and I continue to recommend both styles of antennas for different situations. The J-Pole will excel at lower mounting heights, apartments, or limited space locations. It's 20 degree takeoff angle makes it a great choice for people living in valleys or the base of mountain ranges. It's even radiation pattern is great for communicating with satellites and the International Space Station.

The Slim Jim likes to be mounted high. My experience with it is that you want to get this antenna up at least 20 or 30 feet for it to really perform. The lower takeoff angle is great for simplex communications with handheld or mobile radios. The low noise floor is perfect for data and packet stations. If you live on the top of a hill, go for the Slim Jim.

Slim Jim

J-Pole

Last Edited:
Going to take the technician exam in 2 weeks.
Very nice! Start using 'Hamexam.com' to cram for it. Very easy to use and you can arrange the questions and answers based on your own manner of how you 'study' best.

Got a radio yet? Obviously you will be starting on the 2 meter / 70 CM frequencies and are you planning on eventually getting your 'general' and moving into the HF arena?

Last Edited:
Very nice! Start using 'Hamexam.com' to cram for it. Very easy to use and you can arrange the questions and answers based on your own manner of how you 'study' best.

Got a radio yet? Obviously you will be starting on the 2 meter / 70 CM frequencies and are you planning on eventually getting your 'general' and moving into the HF arena?
I have been using hamstudy.org but will check out the one you mentioned as well. Looking at radios now trying to learn about the differences in them. A lot are out of stock for obvious reasons!
I will more than likely go overboard on this like all of my other "hobbies" so yes, I can see myself upgrading my license in short order.
Only took a couple of days to be passing every test exam on the hamstudy site.

35/35 on the technician test. They wanted me to take the general test while I was there. I had no time to study for it so I ended up at 22/35. I'll go back for that one once I have some time to study up!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top