JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, Saturday took the family out to Lincoln City to Road's End Park. Decent weather day with lots of people. We did the long hike north down to the cliffs and rocks. When we got to the rocks, we all took cover as we heard BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! I am thinking, what the HE$$? There are a few people around including a lady and her small child. Told everyone to keep down as the wind carried the smell of gunpowder toward us.

A guy then pops up on a rock from the other side and I ask him which direction is he shooting as there are people around. He says that he is finished and was "testing" out his new 44mag. CCW to make sure it works and that he also got his CHL recently. I was like, umm, ok, I would like to bring my family over the rocks and is it safe now? He said yes, no one else over there and wishes me a nice day. He connects up with his wife and young child and they march off.

Anyhow, I am thinking, wow this is really a dumb place to be shooting with rocks and people all over the place. I also looked up the laws and it appears discharging firearms on public beaches in Oregon is a no-no. If I knew this, I would have reminded him about this, however, I was not too interested in lecturing a guy who was armed (I was too, but with my P3AT "squirt gun") and just did an idiotic thing.

Anyhow, I post to remind people that shooting on Oregon beaches is not a good idea and illegal too. Go to a range or BLM land before you kill someone!

Thanks!

Yes it does. I did not freak out or anything nor make a big deal of it...but it is just dumb. He was probably excited to get his CCW and CHL and really could not wait to shoot it and thought, hmmm I can just shoot these rocks here.

It gives the gun grabbers more ammunition for their fight. I don't think he realized he wasn't alone as he was out of sight and more and more people were coming his way all on foot. Dumb, dumb, dumb. A CHL does not give you the right to just blast of rounds anywhere....duh.

That kind of stuff makes us all look bad.

Sounds crazy but I always thought shooting at the beach would be safe if you shot toward the water at a clear horizon of course. If it was a lonely deserted beach somewhere off the beaten path. I know that setup doesn't exist anywhere around here but I've fantasized about it at times.
That guy was in the wrong for sure though even if the law allowed.

Unfortunately, that is just what the anti-gun side does, lump us all together as much as I disagree with their approach.
It is up to us to educate others in order to keep RKBA going. In a way, what others do affects our rights. Thus, we are quasi in this together, idiots included for better or worse.
Just like the guys who trash our public shooting areas, they don't represent me, but the spots still get shut down. It then affects me as I like to use the shooting areas too.

The creation of this thread only gives the anti-side more reason to bundle us up together and hate us.

The guy who was allegedly unsafe doesn't make me look bad, because he doesn't represent me. And neither does your comment. ;)

This is the type of guy that will put a bullet through a house, car, or person, and make gun owners an easy target from the anti's.

There are something like 60-80 million gun owners in the U.S., and one idiot can become the poster child for all of us, by the anti's.

That kind of stuff makes us all look bad.

I get the sentiment, but how long are you guys going to fall for this crap?

Does a drunk driver in Kansas make all drivers look bad? Does an idiot parent in Cincinnati make all parents look bad?

Why do we allow what ANY one person does to stick to all of us?

I am an individual and I will not be judged on the actions of other people. As long as you hold onto this asinine idea, you will be lumped in with the masses.

None for me, thanks!

Sounds crazy but I always thought shooting at the beach would be safe if you shot toward the water at a clear horizon of course. If it was a lonely deserted beach somewhere off the beaten path. I know that setup doesn't exist anywhere around here but I've fantasized about it at times.
That guy was in the wrong for sure though even if the law allowed.

Shooting towards water is unsafe. No backstop, bullets prone to ricochet off water. Unseen kayakers, crabbers, etc., bobbing in the waves. Shooting on sand is also unsafe because of ricochet.

I get the sentiment, but how long are you guys going to fall for this crap?

Does a drunk driver in Kansas make all drivers look bad? Does an idiot parent in Cincinnati make all parents look bad?

Why do we allow what ANY one person does to stick to all of us?

I am an individual and I will not be judged on the actions of other people. As long as you hold onto this asinine idea, you will be lumped in with the masses.

None for me, thanks!

OK, but this kind of thing gets us all stuck with the inevitable regulations none of us with a lick of sense need. Like most of the woods being closed to the public.

OK, but this kind of thing gets us all stuck with the inevitable regulations none of us with a lick of sense need. Like most of the woods being closed to the public.

I would argue that would change if we would stop apologizing for something we have no control over. Stupid people will do stupid things. If the National Forest that is literally my backyard was closed one day and I found out that it was because someone made a mess I wouldn't just go home and take responsibility for an anonymous persons actions. I am in no way defending the idiot on the beach firing the gun. Would anyone stand for a road being closed because someone got a DUI on it? Why does that sound so absurd, but "closing the woods" doesn't?

Also, are there areas of forest closed to the public? Where we are not allowed? I am not saying they don't exist, but I have spent a lot of time in the forests of Oregon and Washington and I have never come across an area that I was not allowed in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top